Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Computah Rigs

Quote Originally Posted by oneandonly View Post
    That's because no one has ever had to say outright how many cores they support, they always just give a minimum, there's no maximum.
    You're right. They don't say and that's because they don't need to. They support the industry norm, which by every standard is four cores.

That's fine, but if you have a desktop PC, you can still generally get better results with a dedicated GPU, rather than use the CPU.
    My point being that it wasn't factored in that you could save 200$ and not get a card if you just want to do some light end gaming.

Weasyl
    oneandonly
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjo View Post
    You're right. They don't say and that's because they don't need to. They support the industry norm, which by every standard is four cores.

My point being that it wasn't factored in that you could save 200$ and not get a card if you just want to do some light end gaming.
    Eh. Can't argue with that.
    I'm just saying, even if you do get an 8 core processor, it's cheaper and when games do start supporting it in the future, the games you have today that support 4 core and 6 core will work, along with the 8 core games. Then when time comes, and you want to buy a new CPU, you can overclock it to make it last a little longer.

Eh. Can't argue with that.
    I'm just saying, even if you do get an 8 core processor, it's cheaper and when games do start supporting it in the future, the games you have today that support 4 core and 6 core will work, along with the 8 core games. Then when time comes, and you want to buy a new CPU, you can overclock it to make it last a little longer.
    Well, in the future when they are supported, the crappy architecture of today will likely still be unsupported. It'll have been replaced by something that manages cores far better.

A few years ago, my Godfather agreed to get me a computer.

Unfortunately, he did not think a teenage girl could build a computer, and so he spent $2000 on this department store POS:

HP Pavilion a6030n

TWO.THOUSAND.DOLLARS. And the CPU just died last week, so I'm stuck with a tablet, or, when I'm lucky, my friends laptop.

Buuuuut I still appreciate him getting it for me, and I'll be able to build my own soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Brynja View Post
    A few years ago, my Godfather agreed to get me a computer.

Unfortunately, he did not think a teenage girl could build a computer, and so he spent $2000 on this department store POS:

HP Pavilion a6030n

TWO.THOUSAND.DOLLARS. And the CPU just died last week, so I'm stuck with a tablet, or, when I'm lucky, my friends laptop.

Buuuuut I still appreciate him getting it for me, and I'll be able to build my own soon enough.
    I can't stand that stuff. I had a department computer for years. Most recently I saved up and bought the entire thing my self. Put together in a night and had it running by morning.

Weasyl
    oneandonly
    Ok, that awesome moment when you put together a PC... AND IT WORKS!

Unfortunately, the motherboard doesn't have any IDE ports on it. It is a pretty old technology, but I don't have a SATA CD drive, so I'm stuck using Windows To Go for now. Anyway, since it doesn't support my graphics card, other than VGA mode, I'm gonna have to buy a new DVD drive. Not that big of a deal, but when I get a chance, I need to get my USB DVD drive. Anyway, I'm very happy with my Biostar TA990FXE MB, Phenom II x6 processor, and 8 GB of memory, and I'm so happy I got it working! WOO!

Ok, that awesome moment when you put together a PC... AND IT WORKS!

Unfortunately, the motherboard doesn't have any IDE ports on it. It is a pretty old technology, but I don't have a SATA CD drive, so I'm stuck using Windows To Go for now. Anyway, since it doesn't support my graphics card, other than VGA mode, I'm gonna have to buy a new DVD drive. Not that big of a deal, but when I get a chance, I need to get my USB DVD drive. Anyway, I'm very happy with my Biostar TA990FXE MB, Phenom II x6 processor, and 8 GB of memory, and I'm so happy I got it working! WOO!
    I nearly made the mistake of ordering a computer and not ordeingr a CD drive. After staring at the list of items for a few days it clicked.

My rig is nothing special but it's still serving me well.

Pentium P4 3ghz processor
    1 gig of DDR RAM.
    Running windows XP Profesional.
    80gb main drive
    120gb secondary drive

It has a basic sound card fitted only because the on board sound doesn't work, probably just need updated drivers but I couldn't be arsed to search the web so just threw in an audio card I had kicking around. I can't remember what my video card is. I recently put all my computers guts into a better case and found that the main board power connector on the PSU had two burnt connecting pins. So I switched PSU's, that may have been the reason why my computer was such a pain before the rebuild and clean out, cause it's been okay since I did all that and installed a new PSU.