Register
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63
  1. #41
    Junior Furrhan's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Furrhan
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6
    Why though? Why do you not rate marijuana and prescription drugs as mature? That's the only thing I still don't understand.
    Frostwood Forever! <3

    Avatar by Rodney Raccoon

  2. #42
    Junior XoPachi's Avatar
    Weasyl
    XP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    EVAC Industry
    Posts
    9
    I honestly don't get the drug use and how a clearly defined, in focus, sexualized fat ass can at all be considered something a general audience should have in their feed.

    Like I can't in good conscience rate any of my pinups "suitable for all ages". I wasn't asking how it fit under their new guidelines earlier which was what the response to me assumed. I was saying their idea of what's acceptable for all viewership is really skewed. Like that just doesn't make sense to me.
    Like read this aloud to yourself.

    "General: All Audiences
    Contains no mature or explicit content. Content must be suitable for audiences under 18.

    Nudity - May contain a compositional focus on sexualized anatomy (mammaries, buttocks, groin bulges, etc.) of clothed or partially clothed characters, or non-detailed nudity."

    That's...that's actually hilarious.
    W/e. I already tediously put all of my stuff under the mature rating already. I'm not losing sleep over it. I just think the change was poorly thought out is all.
    Last edited by XoPachi; 09-27-2017 at 04:25 AM.
    You're just more space debris...


  3. #43
    Retired Staff Frank LeRenard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of the Finns
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I honestly don't get the drug use and how a clearly defined, in focus, sexualized fat ass can at all be considered something a general audience should have in their feed.

    Like I can't in good conscience rate any of my pinups "suitable for all ages". I wasn't asking how it fit under their new guidelines earlier which was what the response to me assumed. I was saying their idea of what's acceptable for all viewership is really skewed. Like that just doesn't make sense to me.
    And yet, if memory serves me correctly, there are other users of the site who would argue that this rule change doesn't go far enough to relax the constraints.

    Personally, I'm good with the under/over 18 categorization, because in the US (where Weasyl is based) that's the legal boundary between not an adult and an adult. Also, trying to determine, for example, when some butt is too much butt for people aged 13-18, and just enough butt for people over 18, is a goddamned nightmare. And then trying to come up with the exact language that ensures that EVERY user of the site is on the same page about that (and about groin bulges, and boobs, and the way characters are posed, and so on and so forth) is an even bigger nightmare. Enforcement becomes painful, often requiring discussion, and then the users who made the infraction are unlikely to understand exactly where they went wrong. If you have a simple (objective!) catch-all that's pleasing to everyone, it would be good to hear it.

    I'm speaking here only about the quasi-sexual stuff, of course. I don't have much of an opinion on drug use, except to say that attitudes about marijuana, at least, are evolving.

  4. #44
    Toshabi Pronouns Only Toshabi's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Gender
    Croc
    Posts
    962
    Are you guys considered a furry website yet?

  5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #45
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I honestly don't get the drug use and how a clearly defined, in focus, sexualized fat ass can at all be considered something a general audience should have in their feed.

    Like I can't in good conscience rate any of my pinups "suitable for all ages". I wasn't asking how it fit under their new guidelines earlier which was what the response to me assumed. I was saying their idea of what's acceptable for all viewership is really skewed. Like that just doesn't make sense to me.
    Like read this allowed to yourself.

    "General: All Audiences
    Contains no mature or explicit content. Content must be suitable for audiences under 18.

    Nudity - May contain a compositional focus on sexualized anatomy (mammaries, buttocks, groin bulges, etc.) of clothed or partially clothed characters, or non-detailed nudity."
    Keep in mind that when the code was pushed to combine Moderate and General, there certainly may have been submissions better suited for Mature. There just was no way for us to sort every submission that was rated Moderate into either General or Mature. The decision was either- ease up on restrictions and allow more in General, or tighten up restrictions and disallow more in General. It is pretty much guaranteed that there were submissions in Moderate that should've been put in Mature. If you find an image in the General category that needs to be rated Mature, the report feature can bring it to staff attention and we can re-rate from there.

    To add to Frank's post a bit- figuring out if a bulge was large enough to be put in Moderate, or defined enough for Mature, or if boobs were too large for General, or if nipples were too defined for Moderate, or if a character's butt was too large for General, etc. was indeed awful. Not just from the aspect of the user trying to rate their content, but also the aspect of training new mods. The Moderate category was the hardest, most subjective category to figure out what should belong in there. And during staff meetings, Moderate was just so horrible to try and re-word because every staff member, from senior staff to the newest, had different thoughts on how to word everything to be ideal.

    Speaking of wording, though- the current wording isn't flawless. As Frank mentioned, if you have ideas as to how to word the RG more effectively and accurately, feel free to post 'em in this thread or message a staff member.

    Quote Originally Posted by Furrhan View Post
    Why though? Why do you not rate marijuana and prescription drugs as mature? That's the only thing I still don't understand.
    Marijuana is just not as extreme as something like heroin, krokodil, etc. We could go in to statistics about the age of marijuana smokers, how addictive it is, where it's legal and not legal, its medical purposes, etc. At the end of the day, though, marijuana is not "hardcore" like heroin.

    Prescription drugs are so common nowadays, there is really no reason to consider them on the same tier as the hardcore stuff mentioned above. (I personally have been on well over a dozen different prescription drugs in the past 15 years, and can assure you they are monitored quite closely by doctors and other medical staff).

    If you've got a solid case as to why marijuana and prescription drugs should be rated with the hardcore stuff, feel free to post here for discussion, or bring it up with staff privately.

    I understand that you've lost loved ones to drugs, and I'm not in any way trying to undermine the seriousness and heartbreak of their passing. But when it comes down to it, Weasyl's guidelines are written based on what is reasonable for our community as a whole, and what is reasonable for the staff to enforce.
    Last edited by Tiger; 07-31-2017 at 05:18 PM. Reason: responding to furrhan

    Tiger says HELLO
    avatar by fiz

  6. #46
    Junior XoPachi's Avatar
    Weasyl
    XP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    EVAC Industry
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    To add to Frank's post a bit- figuring out if a bulge was large enough to be put in Moderate, or defined enough for Mature, or if boobs were too large for General, or if nipples were too defined for Moderate, or if a character's butt was too large for General, etc. was indeed awful.
    Wow...



    You guys are trying way too hard. You're taking something simple and looking too deep into irrelevant nuance. That's where the extra work is coming from.
    You're just more space debris...


  7. #47
    Retired Staff Frank LeRenard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of the Finns
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    You guys are trying way too hard. You're taking something simple and looking too deep into irrelevant nuance. That's where the extra work is coming from.
    Things do get complicated when you shoot for a set of ratings that are clear, fair, and open. "I know it when I see it" is much easier to implement, yes, but it's also arbitrary.
    Is there a simple alternative that's not arbitrary?

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Personally, I'm good with the under/over 18 categorization, because in the US (where Weasyl is based) that's the legal boundary between not an adult and an adult.
    I would like to think that a gallery's main focus should be providing a better experience for users, and not drawing a single line at what is technically legal and not legal for an age group. What people want to see is not a function of their age. We have G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17 and Adult movie ratings for a reason. Can you imagine if all movies had to be either rated either G, NC-17 or Adults Only?

    It is better to have more ratings (and more granulated viewing control) at the expense of more errors of artwork sneaking up or down a rating bracket, than to have only Adult and Non-Adult bins to look at.

    When I see a movie, I fully suspect that a PG-13 movie might have an F-word in it, or maybe non-sexual nudity a la Titanic, things that I would generally consider to be R-rated content but happen once or twice in the movie and be extremely brief. We are used to that, and more rating levels for artwork provide that kind of multi-level sieve system where a borderline or mis-rated piece of artwork is not a total disaster for the user. If you are viewing the PG gallery, you won't be too offended by the occasional PG-13 work. If you have the gall to be viewing the NC-17 gallery, then don't be surprised if there's the occasional Adult work. Provide clear guidelines as to what should go into each category for enforcement, but in practice ratings are more humps than hard walls. More rating tiers means less of a jump in the "maturity index" of a work if something is mis-rated, meaning more minor errors but far less egregious ones which cause urgent user complaints and panicked mods.

    Because I can't think of a more probable rationale*, I'm assuming that the purpose of this policy change was to relieve some of the administrative burden moderating the gallery. If that was the purpose of this change, then I strongly recommend that policy changes should be more centered around the user experience. By doing so, you might find a solution that benefits both (see above).

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Is there a simple alternative that's not arbitrary?
    Yes, you make relativity a feature, not a bug.

    *Actually a thought just occurred to me. If the confusion was over the existence of an intermediate category, then it might be due to existing rating systems on other art galleries. So I went to the first place that made logical sense. Sure enough, Fur Affinity only has a General, Mature, and Adult ratings. So after doing some due diligence research, I take my assumption back. This change is probably so that Weasyl matches Fur Affinity's rating system.
    Last edited by Metsys; 08-02-2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Modified for clarity that there are in fact two 18+ categories, also retracted an assumption.

  9. #49
    Junior Furrhan's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Furrhan
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Marijuana is just not as extreme as something like heroin, krokodil, etc. We could go in to statistics about the age of marijuana smokers, how addictive it is, where it's legal and not legal, its medical purposes, etc. At the end of the day, though, marijuana is not "hardcore" like heroin.

    Prescription drugs are so common nowadays, there is really no reason to consider them on the same tier as the hardcore stuff mentioned above. (I personally have been on well over a dozen different prescription drugs in the past 15 years, and can assure you they are monitored quite closely by doctors and other medical staff).

    If you've got a solid case as to why marijuana and prescription drugs should be rated with the hardcore stuff, feel free to post here for discussion, or bring it up with staff privately.

    I understand that you've lost loved ones to drugs, and I'm not in any way trying to undermine the seriousness and heartbreak of their passing. But when it comes down to it, Weasyl's guidelines are written based on what is reasonable for our community as a whole, and what is reasonable for the staff to enforce.
    Regardless of how "hardcore" it is, marijuana is still an addictive, often harmful, and mostly illegal drug and I still don't think it belongs in a "general" category in which one would expect only to find inoffensive and/or harmless content.

    I understand what you're saying about the prescription drugs though. If they belong to the person shown and aren't being abused then that's fine. I don't want to stigmatise any medical conditions or anything.
    Frostwood Forever! <3

    Avatar by Rodney Raccoon

  10. #50
    Premium User QT Melon's Avatar


    Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,478
    I rarely come on here, but I do have to chime in that removing the moderate category was breaking something that didn't need to be fixed.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •