Register
    Weasyl
    Charrio

How many of you have actually read an entire book?

I'm just curious if the furry crowd is more Literate then the norm.
    I read all the time and have many favorite books.
    Daniel P Mannix's Fox and the Hound
    Robert C O'Brien's Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

just to name a couple but what is your favorite and do you read often?
    Comic books are good but not a literary book of fact or fiction.
    Take a gander at my Gallery here, hope you like and brings a smile.
    https://www.weasyl.com/~charrio

Weasyl
    MLR
    Is reading an entire book really that rare these days? I feel old sometimes, and I'm only 30.

Anyway, yes, I've read probably hundreds of [entire] books. I can never think of good answers to questions about my "favorite" anything, so I'll abstain from that. You get different expectations from different authors and different genres, so books aren't always comparable in a meaningful way, and my tastes change a lot over time. I'm currently in a phase in which I'm starting to appreciate less plot-driven stuff and more weird literary explorations of lives or other topics that are full of nuance and have no conclusions. Like, I recently read and mostly enjoyed Swamplandia! by Karen Russell.

Weasyl
    Charrio
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Is reading an entire book really that rare these days? I feel old sometimes, and I'm only 30.

Anyway, yes, I've read probably hundreds of [entire] books. I can never think of good answers to questions about my "favorite" anything, so I'll abstain from that. You get different expectations from different authors and different genres, so books aren't always comparable in a meaningful way, and my tastes change a lot over time. I'm currently in a phase in which I'm starting to appreciate less plot-driven stuff and more weird literary explorations of lives or other topics that are full of nuance and have no conclusions. Like, I recently read and mostly enjoyed Swamplandia! by Karen Russell.
    The last article I saw on Literacy had something like 25% of college students have read a novel front to back. Which I found kind of alarming. And most people according to a quick search have only 6 books they have read through alone and not for a class.
    Take a gander at my Gallery here, hope you like and brings a smile.
    https://www.weasyl.com/~charrio

Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Charrio View Post
    The last article I saw on Literacy had something like 25% of college students have read a novel front to back. Which I found kind of alarming. And most people according to a quick search have only 6 books they have read through alone and not for a class.
    US college students, or worldwide? And was this a rigorous study (e.g. they made an effort to get a large and representative sample size)?

I guess I wonder both why that is, and if it's going to turn out to be a problem. I mean, people are still interested in long-form storytelling, after all: look at the success of TV shows like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones (the latter of which, of course, is based on a series of novels), which take just as long if not longer to get through, and can be just as riveting as a good book. Even video games are more frequently tacking this direction, although if you give even a cursory browse online you find tons of people who are resentful of that (a popular opinion seems to be that if it's not as dead simple as Pac Man, it's not a good game, and cutscenes are openly loathed).

So maybe novels are just being replaced by other forms of storytelling?

I read a lot of shorter books. Mostly historical books about certain historical topics. Like, I just read about the Timeline of Medieval Warfare. For the bigger books, I listen to them on audio books while I going to bed at night or driving.

oh goodness that is a terrifying thought. never finishing a book. I read constantly. Mostly Scifi and fantasy, I love xenofiction with really alien characters and outlooks.

last books I've read were the entirety of the Ancillary justice series. they are fantastic novels with odd protagonists. The main charactet is effectively a sentient warship(AI kinda-sorta) with multiple human bodies,

It's not technically furry but definitely fits in that niche as the protagonist has an entirely different perspective. plus the aliens are really, really alien.

-----------------------------

Nor crystal tears(Alan Dean Foster) is a first contact novel from the perspective of the aliens, who are effectively giant preying mantis'.

go read the other books in his universe, Flinx is more a tad sue-ish though. fun read though.

-----------------------------

Lucasfilms Alien Chronicles(Deborah CHester) . more xenofiction, no humans at all, the ending is not what you expect, the first book makes you truly hate the antagonists.

---------------------------

currently reading Joust (mercedes lackey) and the Chrestomanci series(Dianna wynn jones)

and then I read a ton of comics but the big ones are descender and Autumnlands(which is either in hiatus or dead)