Register

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: First Look Suggestions

First Look Suggestions

Hey, as you probably guess I've only been here for a day. So what reason do I have to post a suggestion under 24 hours!

Ah well, I investigated. Read a lot of forum posts and tested some features on the main site. Because it's a cute, small community, I can understand not much going on.

I had, maybe, some suggestions to make this place more of an active community. From what I saw the forums are decently used, which is a great sign!

My suggestions are just site features or formatting things that I feel could be looked at and eventually implemented.

So here we go,

I've noticed one thing on a couple sites are weekly themes or monthly contests. So what am I thinking? Well, having a theme would be a neat way to get more people to create content. And perhaps this content could be submitted in a theme gallery where people can browse what people have created.

This wouldn't be a competition, but rather a fun little thing to work on and to see what others did with that theme.

Contests (which may have happened here before) either posted in the forums by members or site contests divided by catagory, would also be a great way to bring people together. If there are set areas for, say, writing and multimedia. Those that feel intimidated by the art would have a place to display their work and feel a bit more involved. Which brings me to my next point.

Another suggestion is groups, I see some on the forums..kinda. but groups really are a great way to bring people together with similar interests. If a group thrives, other people may join just for the group. Growing the community. However I realise that this can be a bit hard based on what your team can work on.

Another note is navigation. I mostly use the mobile app, but at times I just want to browse catagories rather than tags. Because sometimes I can't really think of what to look up...

If I went further on this, maybe sub categories based on subject matter. For example, and onky example, anthro, feral, human, etc. As ONE way this could be done. Or scenery, concept art, etc.

This is what I have for now. But you'll probably get sick of me soon since I always poke around.

I may have made some suggestions out of ignorance for only being so new. If this is the case, than I apologise for potentially beating a dead horse!

If others want to weigh in on these, I'd like to see what others think.

Edit: Fixed my phones spelling errors
    Last edited by Sero; 06-25-2017 at 02:33 PM.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Hi! Welcome to Weasyl I like your ideas! Some have been brought up in the past, so I'll comment here with what I know about them.

We've had a seasonal event before (Halloween 2014, I believe it was). It was actually pretty successful. It would be a great thing to bring back again; unfortunately we just got sidetracked with other projects and the events fell to the wayside. I'm all for bringing that back though!

There is a way to search through categories such as traditional art, digital art, multimedia, etc. Thing is, our search page could use some work to make looking through those categories easier. Honestly the search page could use some TLC in general (but AFAIK that is pretty low on the list of current projects).

Groups! The idea is a solid one. Unfortunately, with the way the site is coded at the moment, groups would be very difficult to code in (Maybe a dev could put this in better words). It's definitely up there as a great idea, but from the current standpoint, I don't think it's a priority simply due to the coding difficulty.

Navigating by categories has been brought up before. I -think- what was discussed there is that the tag system is so vital to Weasyl's code and identity that categories might not quite fit in.

So, that gives some of the history of past discussions. Feel free to respond with feedback, though!

Tiger says HELLO

Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sero View Post
    I've noticed one thing on a couple sites are weekly themes or monthly contents. So what am I thinking? Well, having a theme would be a neat way to get more people to create content. And perhaps this content could be submitted in a theme gallery where people can browse what people have created.

This wouldn't be a competition, but rather a fun little thing to work on and to see what others did with that theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    We've had a seasonal event before (Halloween 2014, I believe it was). It was actually pretty successful. It would be a great thing to bring back again; unfortunately we just got sidetracked with other projects and the events fell to the wayside. I'm all for bringing that back though!
    Seconded for bringing something like this back. The site feels like a ghost town sometimes (no Halloween pun intended). Also, I'd love to see April Fool's Day jokes make a return.

Hey thanks for replying!

I didn't think of seasonal events! April fools jokes sounds like neat fun. I think these would be easy to put in, smaller themes would only need a folder to be allocated to and staff would have to switch the themes when they expire. (Though that still is an investment) From my experience though events are a wonderful way to pull people in for their own enjoyment, and in browsong other people's writong and art may increase the number of comments or feedback!

I did take into consideration that it may be coding limitations. I did think of another suggestion which may be site polls. If there are an overwhelming number of suggestions, perhaps people can vote. (The options would be chosen due to difficulty to implement etc) which could prioritise how the site advances. Going back to the coding it's probably best to work with what we have then, and then expand on it later if you happen to find the right person. It sounds like a lot would need to be changed.

I do think that the search could probably use some help then! The front page is a little hard to navigate for me sometimes, and seeing that I didn't even find the category search I struggled.(I looked at this again, but the truth is the mobile site gets nitpicky with me)

Another alternative to the groups perhaps, would be a forum for them. Where the first post is edited for the group and displays how they'd like to look for members, activities etc. I was also thinking the same with rp, I think you could make rp groups with just the forums. It's not a priority, but having things that people check back on increases site traffic and encourages some people to make more art for their characters too.

Apologies for the scatteredness, just woke up!
    Last edited by Sero; 06-25-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Weasyl
    spur
    I really do like the idea of themed weeks or months. Something minor that could drive up participation. It seems like Weasyl is really falling behind these days. The daily active user count has been slipping for months and I haven't seen anything to drum up excitement or stabilize that.