Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestion: changing the file names for download

Hi there,

while browsing the site and downloading some of the images I've seen that the file naming is rather inconvenient for archiving.
    All file names are <number>submit<number> so one has to rename every file to give it a proper name.

Please think about changing this to something usable. I think FA's (yes I know *shrugs*) system should be used for that.
    Much easier for personal collections.

greets
    ~Kajo

Yeah, every site that stores pictures uses a different method, but I think something like...

artist . submission-id . (uploaded file name or sanatized submission title) . jpg

...would work great.

FA is a bit annoying in that they don't include the submission id so you have to go through an artists gallery manually to find a picture from the filename.

No official opinion?

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Ben
    Sorry, we didn't mean to pass this over. The technical team will be asked if the file naming system can be adjusted for better convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Sorry, we didn't mean to pass this over. The technical team will be asked if the file naming system can be adjusted for better convenience.
    Thank you, that would be awesome

Suggestion: Usernames in filenames

Didn't see this in the common suggestions list, so I'd like to ask if it'd be possible to implement usernames into the filenames of submissions? This is more for personal sorting on my and anyone else's part who choose to save images to their own computers in case of deletion or for future viewing off the internet. As it is, the filenames are all non-descript numbers and either the words "cover" or "submit".

This isn't a huge issue and is solved on the user's side by just writing in the artist's name into the filename manually, but it's a tiny bit of a pain to do it every time and it'd be a lot more convenient if the username, or the option for the artist's original file's name or something, to be implemented automatically into the filename.

Yeah, I asked for something like that here.
    Let's see, if it can be implemented.

Weasyl
    Trianine

[Request] File naming conventions

I finally got to join Weasyl, Yay! Immediately, I discovered that downloading an image that I liked resulted in some nasty gobbledeygook. 2134123.submit.234234.extension.

Is there any chance we can change that? A lot of websites will at least conduct renaming to identify the artist, oftentimes those that do will give a name/title of the submission as well. And while I don't know many places that do it, indicating where the image came from isn't a bad idea.

Something like Artist-Submission-Number.Artist.title.WSL.extension?
    For example, 104_Trianine_FumuBattleshipChip01_wsl.jpg

I know, that can get verbose quickly. But considering that a lot of the artists here are also on other sites, often multiple sites. It could potentially save the end-user from having to bulk-rename everything. Don't encourage people to save and forget!
    Last edited by Trianine; 02-19-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Weasyl
    armaina
    I think this is hugely important. A lot of people right click save without thinking to re-name the piece with an artist's name, so when recalling who did what, it gets lost in translation. With keeping artists names in the file name at the very least, it helps in keeping things sourced in some way. Not to mention, it's much more helpful to those of us that prefer search-engine visibility.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    I have no idea what you're talking about re: "search-engine visibility".

this is a nice-to-have, but other things are currently taking priority. just a note to let you know we're aware about this.