Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Weasyl
    Hendikins

Marketplace (Commission Search)

Last edited by Hendikins; 01-17-2017 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Deployed #204

I don't understand the Marketplace at all. It only seems to make finding artists to commission more complex and confusing. I can't seem to find anything.
    I looked at the Marketplace Help section but it only made it more confusing.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by anubis_werewolf; 01-15-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Quote Originally Posted by anubis_werewolf View Post
    I don't understand the Marketplace at all. It only seems to make finding artists to commission more complex and confusing. I can't seem to find anything.
    I looked at the Marketplace Help section but it only made it more confusing.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Can you give me an example of what you've searched on the market and didn't find any results? Or were you finding results, but felt they weren't narrowed down enough?

I tried several different searches and I got a lot of results but nothing that had anything to do with what I searched for.
    I was also searching for simple things, like coloured sketches, full colour drawings, macro and muscle art.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Part of this is to do with limitations of the existing data. It's not great, but this would probably be dead in the water without it.

The quality of search results will improve over time as the following things happen:
    • Artists update their commission information
    • Artists make better use of the preset commission types
    • Artists add preference/opt-out tags, which didn't previously exist
    • Submissions are better tagged for type and content
    • We make back end improvements to the commission information system and search algorithms
    Last edited by Hendikins; 01-16-2017 at 03:15 AM.

Weasyl
    MLR
    I just tried it out, and after a minute it started to seem relatively straight-forward to me. It searches content by looking for artwork in peoples' galleries tagged with the term you search for, and then you can limit it more by price and so on. Haven't tried setting up my own commission page yet, since I'm not doing commissions right now, but I might play around with it later.

One thing I don't see is a search by username?

I'm still getting random searches out of it. I've tried narrowing down the topics but that seems to have no effect.
    I must be doing something wrong if it is working this poorly.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Weasyl
    Taw
    I'm still getting random searches out of it. I've tried narrowing down the topics but that seems to have no effect.
    I must be doing something wrong if it is working this poorly.
    Can you give me an example URL that you are searching, but it's not narrowing it down the topics? Let me know which users aren't being narrowed down/filtered based on your search that you think they should be as well. This'll help a lot to see if we can figure out what's going on.

An example is I'm searching for an icon, tagged 'bat', from $5 usd to $15 usd. The URL is https://www.weasyl.com/marketplace?p...x=15&currency=

Okay, I'm not sure what good that will do though
    https://www.weasyl.com/marketplace?p...x=50&currency=

I looked at the example you gave. None really covered what you searched for either.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Okay, I'm not sure what good that will do though

I looked at the example you gave. None really covered what you searched for either.
    Hello!

I think I can help out some here. If you remember what Hendikins said earlier (remembering that this feature has just gotten rolling)! ...

(To improve the Marketplace, this must happen: )
    • Artists update their commission information
    • Artists make better use of the preset commission types
    • Artists add preference/opt-out tags, which didn't previously exist

I checked out your search. It looks like (as of yet), there aren't artists offering 'fullbody' type commissions who prefer or have tagged in their galleries 'macro'. However, I was able to get some hits by generalizing the type to 'any', and then searching for 'macro', meaning some artists set them as preferred tags. I know this because the results that came back were different.

A good rule of thumb early will be 'If you're not getting hits on the precise type of commission you want, try 'any' as the type, and also try 'similar common terms to the thing that you want' for the subject matter. Hope this helps!