Register
    Weasyl
    Miz-Liz

My safety net seems to have a few holes.

I keep the handy-dandy sfw filter on every time I use this site, but it has been failing me as of late. One too many nsfw works have weasyled their way onto my screen. I checked to see if they were rated incorrectly, but nope, they were rated Mature (18+).

If I apologize for that awful pun from earlier, will you guys look into fixing that?

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    Can you provide links to a few examples that might help us diagnose the issue?

Weasyl
    Miz-Liz
    You want links to the ones that are coming through, right?

Quick warning (if it wasn't obvious already), all the links below are 18+.

https://www.weasyl.com/submission/13...n-for-selendis
    https://www.weasyl.com/submission/1341649/a-mei-zing
    https://www.weasyl.com/submission/1342000/dax-booty

Just found all of those with the sfw filter on, although now I've noticed something that I hadn't before. They're all rated Mature, but also have (non-sexual) next to it. Would the links I put above really be considered non-sexual by Weasyl standards?

I re-read through the rating rules to see if I was in the wrong here, but I couldn't really tell. I guess this might just come down to a matter of opinions, but I'd definitely say none of the above are safe-for-work.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    I see. So, what might be going on is that your settings for the toggle aren't behaving the way you expect them to.
    On this page here: https://www.weasyl.com/control/editpreferences
    there are two rating levels to select

The first one is the rating that applies when "sfw-mode" is off, and the second one is the rating that applies when "sfw-mode" is on. This was done to give it greater flexibility at, I suppose, the cost of the actual name of the feature not really making sense. Because we have the four different ratings and people might have different ideas of how they want to use it (e.g. having sfw at moderate for browsing and switching to explicit to view a reference or something, or having it set to General for mobile browsing and Mature while at home)
    So, if you do want no nudity to show while it's enabled, I'd suggest setting Moderate (13+) or General as your sfw-mode rating.

As for the distinction between Mature (18+ non-sexual) and Explicit (18+), I believe the difference is that if an image depicts arousal, bodily fluids, sexual situations etc. then it must go in Explicit. Mature is acceptable for all other 18+ content including artistic nudity.

I hope that clears things up, if my explanation didn't make sense then just say so and one of the moderation staff can probably chime in and explain it better than me.
    Last edited by Noxid; 07-25-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Weasyl
    Miz-Liz
    All right, that does help!

So, based on your explanation, are all my examples correctly rated? They are indeed considered artistic nudes and not sexually explicit?

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Hi! So Mature is primarily for artistic nudity, and Explicit is for anything with sexually graphic content. Mature also contains content that is heavily violent, or contains content that a lot of drug abuse, but primarily Mature is the rating that is meant for nudity. Both categories are reserved for users 18+ years old. Mature is the more SFW of the two categories, but it still technically contains adult content (even though it's non-sexual).

If you're looking for the most SFW rating, then setting your filter to General is the way to go. If you don't mind a small amount of sexual content, such as mild use of profanity or a focus on sexual anatomy (large mammaries, sexy lingerie, etc.) then the Moderate category would be good for that.

As for the examples you linked, the first one is fine in Mature. The second example is definitely Explicit. The third is pretty borderline, and might need some mod team discussion.

If you see any submissions rated in the wrong category, you can use the "Report" button on the submission page to file a ticket and the moderation team will look into it. When filing a ticket, it helps the mod team a lot to include the reason you think the submission is in violation.

And here are the guidelines used site-wide when rating submissions: Ratings Guidelines

Feel free to ask any more questions you have, or request more clarification if needed.

Tiger says HELLO

Weasyl
    Miz-Liz
    Okay, I think I have a better understanding of the standards for each rating now. Turns out my uninformed butt was the problem all along. Thanks for the help, both of you!

I will make a suggestion though-- would it be possible to add a few examples under each rating on your guidelines page? Having Tiger point out which of my links was mature and which was explicit provided a more accurate perspective than solely reading about it. Aiding the visual learners could go a long way!

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauna View Post
    Okay, I think I have a better understanding of the standards for each rating now. Turns out my uninformed butt was the problem all along. Thanks for the help, both of you!

I will make a suggestion though-- would it be possible to add a few examples under each rating on your guidelines page? Having Tiger point out which of my links was mature and which was explicit provided a more accurate perspective than solely reading about it. Aiding the visual learners could go a long way!
    Glad we could help!

In regards to a visual aid for the Ratings Guidelines- There's been some discussion about that in the past. There are both pros and cons. It would help visual learners for sure, and would be a clear-cut way to explain the Guidelines. However, we'd have to be able to update the images as the guidelines change, and find an artist willing to do the images for a long time. We also would have to make sure that minors do not view content that they should not be provided.

That's all I can remember from the last staff meeting we had to discuss a visual RG aid, which was held earlier this year. But if you have any suggestions on how we could better incorporate a visual aid, we're totally open to hearing them!

Tiger says HELLO

Weasyl
    FibS
    I think you guys should do away with the "turn SFW on/off" system and replace it with four buttons, one for each rating. The one you click on is the highest rating you see.

In addition, if you end up on a page for a blocked submission, it should tell you the rating, show the tags, and ask if you want that one submission to load anyway.