Weasyl
    7imothyC

Underscore Tags and-- Underscore Search?

I am here but to present a question;
    We all know Weasyl suggest separating collocations in the tags with an underscore symbol.
    This is understandable, as the classic example: red_fox.

However, i have noticed that when searching "red fox" and "red_fox", the items returned do not match.

Should not the underscore in the tags prioritise the return of the deviations concerning the collocations, and then the ones where "red" and "fox" are treated as separate items?

Because as far as i know, no person would usually go around searching specifically for "red_fox" with an underscore.
    People search for "red fox", but this does not show the deviations tagged as "red_fox".

Should we begin searching with underscores?
    the Reptile Critic

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Taw
    You should be using underscores for any multiple word tags, as on our site, that's how they should be tagged properly.

For example, "fruit_bat" would be the correct tag to put on something with a picture of a flying fox bat, where if you wrote "fruit bat" it would separate this into the tags "fruit" and "bat". Whenever a tag is written without an underscore, the moment the space is added, the word becomes a tag, so "fruit bat" would never be a tag, as the space makes it into two different tags.

If someone was hungry and searched for just "fruit", they would come across my picture, of a fruit bat, as it was not tagged correctly, making it tagged as "fruit", when it's clearly not something that you'd put into a fruit smoothie (hopefully!).

Let me know if that makes sense!

Weasyl
    spur
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the point of his question was an artist can tag something as red_fox but searching for "red fox" does not prioritize tags like red_fox, rather, it searches for red and fox. I would agree that expecting an average site user to search for red_fox seems like a bit much.

Weasyl
    Flygon
    It seems perfectly reasonable to me to expect underscores to be used, simply due to the ambiguities involved with simply using a plain space.

Perhaps if, when you search for "red fox" (in that order), but there's a lot of submissions tagged "red_fox", then display "did you mean red_fox?" And clicking it would search for the underlined version.