Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 96
  1. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by GlaringFeline View Post
    Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you mean by this, but this sounds like you want minors to only be able to access general rating and that's really discriminatory. I understand that certain things need an age barrier because of the law, but it's ridiculous and ageist to say that minors should only be able to access cartoon violence and things of the like. I think the only things that should be limited to 18+ are things that legally have to be there, such as sex and nudity.

    I have a very strong opinion on topics regarding age limits, but I'm trying to be mindful of the law in expressing my opinion because I understand that the law is beyond Weasyl's control.
    So, to clarify: I'm saying that the General rating is the only one that minors are going to be able to access, because Mature and Adult will contain nudity and explicit sexual material that the site is not legally allowed to show minors. This isn't a suggestion, it's how the mods have said this will work.

    Because that will be the only category minors can see, we should make sure that it allows as much content as legally possible. That way, minors can see all of the art that the site is allowed to show them. If we are legally allowed to show minors violence, we should rate violence as "general." if we are legally allowed to show them drug usage, we should rate drug usage as "general."

    So yeah, I think you misinterpreted what I meant, I'm trying to give minors access to as much content as possible.

  2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #72
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Axikita View Post
    So, to clarify: I'm saying that the General rating is the only one that minors are going to be able to access, because Mature and Adult will contain nudity and explicit sexual material that the site is not legally allowed to show minors. This isn't a suggestion, it's how the mods have said this will work.

    Because that will be the only category minors can see, we should make sure that it allows as much content as legally possible. That way, minors can see all of the art that the site is allowed to show them. If we are legally allowed to show minors violence, we should rate violence as "general." if we are legally allowed to show them drug usage, we should rate drug usage as "general."

    So yeah, I think you misinterpreted what I meant, I'm trying to give minors access to as much content as possible.
    This is an interesting point, and I honestly really, really like it. This sounds like a good possible direction for us to go in. (Note- I haven't spoken to any other staff about this post; so I'm only speaking my own opinion, not vouching for the rest of staff).

    As far as the points you made about what content we show to minors- I'm more familiar with the "distributing works containing nudity and sexually explicit content to minors" laws, and copyright/fair use. However, I believe one of our mod directors is meeting up with two other directors and our legal expert IRL in the next few weeks. If I can, I'll get an update for you regarding what we can and can't show to minors.

  3. #73
    GENERAL (all ages): No nudity, cartoon-style violence allowed

    MODERATE (13+(or whatever)): Artistic nudity, nothing sexual, mild violence

    ADULT (18+): Sexually explicit content/fetish material, drug use, gore/blood and other gratuitous violence

  4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #74
    Retired Staff Frank LeRenard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of the Finns
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    This is an interesting point, and I honestly really, really like it. This sounds like a good possible direction for us to go in. (Note- I haven't spoken to any other staff about this post; so I'm only speaking my own opinion, not vouching for the rest of staff).
    I'll go ahead and cautiously second.

    It's probably obvious by now from this thread that 'discrimination' can be a pretty big issue for Weasyl users, or hell, even just artists in general. So whatever we can easily get away with, we might try to get away with it. The question is just where exactly to draw that line.

    Morality laws are such a tangled mess....


    Quote Originally Posted by Sangie
    This way people could filter out these things even if the proper tags aren't applied. See InkBunny for a solid example as they use a similar complex (but easy to understand) rating system.
    I already gave my opinion about over-simplified ratings, but regarding 'complex but clearcut' ratings, to my ear that almost sounds like an oxymoron? But I think I'll go pop over and check out Inkbunny's ratings system to see what you mean by this. Or if there happen to be any Inkbunny mods present in this discussion, they might comment here what their users' general impression is of it?


    Quote Originally Posted by Axikita
    I would also like to see fetish content specifically addressed on the ratings guidelines.
    That may be worth doing. We do still receive a lot of reports about G-rated fetish material, because some people want to see all fetish stuff marked with a higher rating. And I already explained earlier why we decided not to try to do that.

  5. #75
    I don't get why you guys insist there's a law when I proved there wasn't, or am I missing something?

  6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #76
    feline fine Noxid's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    CANADURR
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimaster96 View Post
    I don't get why you guys insist there's a law when I proved there wasn't, or am I missing something?
    COPA is not the only obscenity and censorship law I'm pretty sure.
    from https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceo...-law-obscenity
    Section 1470 of Title 18, United States Code, prohibits any individual from knowingly transferring or attempting to transfer obscene matter using the U.S. mail or any means or facility of interstate or foreign commerce to a minor under 16 years of age. Convicted offenders face fines and imprisonment for up to 10 years.
    additionaly there may be other more specific regulations per state
    but anyway, they said they'd be speaking with legal counsel later so let's see what they have to say on the matter rather than spend a lot of back and forth on it.

  7. #77
    Regular Flygon's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Flygon
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    65
    If I can ask the silly question, would it be possible to ask your legal counsel if the material quoted in this post would be considered obscene material in the United States?

    It isn't a most directly related question to the topic at hand, but it does fill me with an incredible amount of curiosity, given the culture gap between the United States and Australia on this.

  8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #78
    Retired Staff Frank LeRenard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of the Finns
    Posts
    439
    Not an expert, but I think anything containing more than trace amounts of nudity would be rated R, so the one called Kirikou could be that. Although for some probably horrible colonialist reason that I'm not going to even try to elaborate on, exceptions are made for nudity when it comes to people who live in tribal societies, so who knows. In any case, looks like that one only made it over here in a very limited way, so the MPAA never gave it a rating.

    Looks like Pom Poko is rated PG, however.

  9. #79
    Senior DrunkCat's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    WA
    Gender
    OmniMale
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    If I can ask the silly question, would it be possible to ask your legal counsel if the material quoted in this post would be considered obscene material in the United States?

    It isn't a most directly related question to the topic at hand, but it does fill me with an incredible amount of curiosity, given the culture gap between the United States and Australia on this.
    It's NR in the United States.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

  10. #80
    Regular Flygon's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Flygon
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    65
    Not at all rated in the USA, and appears to be impossible to air anyway. Then Pom Poko gets away with a PG rating.

    Yet in the rest of the world, it's a frigging children's movie.

    Good job, America.

    Sorry for these posts... it's just baffling to me. This American cultural dissonance.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •