Forcing Yourself To Be Better At DIY

DIY, I've been trying my best to avoid it as much as I can and have always just stuck by the fact that some people are better with their hands than others and I'm one of those people who's better fixing someone's computer rather than being able to tile, plaster, plumb or even put up a basic shelf. It's not that I can't do some of these things, its just always been a good excuse. Anyway, I've backed myself into a bit of a corner now as my mom needs a bit of a wall building and I said I could do it for her. I don't really know how it got to that, guess I wanted to show her I wasn't completely useless at that sort of thing. So now I'm using the wonderful internet to do some research and have been watching some tutorials on brick laying, using a cement mixer], that kind of stuff. Just looking at some cement mixers for sale now online along with other bits and bobs I'm going to need. I was wondering if anyone here is a bit like me, they know they can do this stuff, would probably actually enjoy it, but has always shied away from it?
    Last edited by 1stgen; 05-05-2016 at 10:54 AM.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    I don't really have the resources to DIY much but I've always been into self-repair which I think is kind of the same idea. But even if I could.. I think the major barrier for me might be laziness :V
    that said, I do eventually want to get involved with building my own house some day. My grandfather knows a lot about woodworking and DIY everything, so i've been exposed to it a lot. I guess I just like the idea of being self-sufficient and also saving money.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    I don't really have the resources to DIY much but I've always been into self-repair which I think is kind of the same idea. But even if I could.. I think the major barrier for me might be laziness :V
    that said, I do eventually want to get involved with building my own house some day. My grandfather knows a lot about woodworking and DIY everything, so i've been exposed to it a lot. I guess I just like the idea of being self-sufficient and also saving money.
    I frustrate myself because I've always been a hard worker inside work but when it comes to doing things around the house, I've never been bothered. It's stupid because all I'd need to do is look at a few tutorials, get a few basic tools, and away we go. I love the idea that one day I'd be able to repair my own broken tile, fix my own bathroom leak or knock-up my own wooden cabinet say, I suppose now is the time to start getting savvy. It was a bit different in my fathers day, he'd have to know this kind of stuff as he couldn't afford to pay for someone else to come and do it.