Weasyl
    SexyCentipede

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run

I just started reading Steel Ball Run (I skimmed Jojo 1-3, I'm watching 4, and I skipped 5 and 6. I am a bad fan.) Anyway, I've read up through book 4 so far and can I just say that this is by far my favorite Jojo. Johnny Joestar is a great character, Gyro is a great character, I even like Mountain Tim. I've already gotten a handful of spoilers, and can I just say that I've already taken the time to be heartbroken in advance.

I really think the "Spin" is an interesting dynamic to add into the universe. My Jojo friends say that the spin is like this universe's version of Hamon, so I'll have to read more and form my own opinion on that.

As far as suspension of disbelief, the series overall and this story arc in particular have a lot of research and thought put in at odd places, and glaring comic book logic in others. Like how Johnny gets on a horse, and for that matter, how he didn't die from infection more than once in the first book. But if you kill of your Jojo at the beginning, I guess he wouldn't be able to have a bizarre adventure.

Anyway, anyone else read SBR? Thoughts? Opinions?

Weasyl
    oly
    I'm not quite there yet, I'm on Part 6 right now. Jolyne isn't my favorite Jojo so far, but still a pretty good part so far. I've seen a few memes and such of part 7 and I'm anticipating it highly.

Weasyl
    Pltnm06Ghost
    As much as I like Part 7, Part 6 trumps it in my book just for how great characters Jolyne, Hermes, and Foo Fighters are. Not to mention how cool the designs for the side characters are. Out of all the arcs in the series, it's definitely won the award for most bizarre thanks to the twist ending which creates the setting for Steel Ball Run to even happen. Skipping Stone Ocean also means you're missing out on the Bohemian Rhapsody fight, which is definitely the craziest fight in the manga. What other officially serialized manga would have Kenshiro and Raoh re-enacting their epic final battle in the middle of California? This stuff is golden X'D

As for Vento Aureo, you aren't missing too much by skipping Part 5. Giorno falls pretty flat as a main character and the supporting cast pretty much hijacked all the spotlight. It's still a great read, but weak by JoJo's standards.

Weasyl
    Cloverdoodles
    I've read up to current and Steel Ball Run is by far my favorite part and I love everything about it compared to the rest of the series. I really don't suggest skipping ANY part because it's all the parts together that make Jojo how it is. If you skip part 5 then you're missing some of the best fights in the series, like Doppio vs Risotto and basically what happens to the end game enemy is one of the scariest abilities that I've witnessed in the series. (Except for one in SBR that I won't mention because obvious spoilers)

Honestly you're just doing yourself a disservice by skipping any parts. It's especially heart breaking when people say to skip part 5, (which they do often) which is probably my second favorite, because they consider Giorno a bland character. To me he has a more subdued personality and that's not bad. He works well with the rest of his cast and to me part 5 is more about Bruno anyway, and there's just a lot of entertainment that you're missing.

The last thing I'll say about SBR is honestly it seems like the part he's put the most effort into. He wanted to recreate part one with the jojo and the zeppeli characters being closer in age and closer in friendship. I think he definitely hit that mark with how close Johnny and Gyro are. Plus he pretty much his his stride art wise because SBR has the best art of the series hands down. It just seems like he wanted SBR to be his magnum opus and it definitely shows between the characters, character development, art, and stands.

Sorry for the rant, I really hope Jojo dear and just kinda ranted ^^;