Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Curious about what people think about Dark Art works

    I was looking in my gallery. And I realized that there are 3 times more views on my vents with only the minimum required tags, and darker themed pictures, then there are on my actual art pieces. But for all the views, there is only 1 comment, 1 fave, and nothing else. Its just like...To me it seems like Silent judging, but I am paranoid about that so..

    Anyway. what are your thoughts on people seeming to be drawn by darker themed pictures and works but not normal art pieces?

  2. #2
    Senior kynliod's Avatar
    Weasyl
    kynliod
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    PNW USA
    Gender
    Woman
    Posts
    164
    I wouldn't take it personally. People don't really seem to engage that much here. Although I draw humans, which are less popular on Weasyl, so maybe it's different for others. I'm not bothered by darker themes, but really it depends on what it is. If it's gore or dark religious stuff, then meh.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by kynliod View Post
    I wouldn't take it personally. People don't really seem to engage that much here. Although I draw humans, which are less popular on Weasyl, so maybe it's different for others. I'm not bothered by darker themes, but really it depends on what it is. If it's gore or dark religious stuff, then meh.
    I mainly mean like. Darker emotions. like. sadness, depression, and strife. Not so much the gore and religion. And Yeah I noticed that. People seem either afraid to say things or not knowing what to say around here. But I just find it curious how people seem to gravitate to dark themes such as vents and the like, more so than one's lighter more happier themes. Maybe they are just drawn to the emotion it invokes and don't want to admit it.

  4. #4
    One reason I enjoy them is just my ability to relate to what they are conveying, myself having a rocky past I enjoy knowing I wasn't alone in feeling some way or another.

  5. #5
    Senior kynliod's Avatar
    Weasyl
    kynliod
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    PNW USA
    Gender
    Woman
    Posts
    164
    Well, I'm drawn to darker, moodier themes in performance art (tv shows and the like), so there is something about being moved and having those emotions stirred up that is maybe in some ways cathartic. I think partly because we can relate to the troubles being portrayed. Broken characters will always be more interesting to me than Superman types, because I can sympathize with them. I tend to gravitate towards melancholic themes. Well, you can probably see that in my artwork actually, haha.

    In my experience, though happiness is pleasurable and what we want in our lives, it can come across as more shallow than the deeper, darker emotions. The kinds of emotions that we feel inside, but don't necessarily show to others. I think that's why seeing art that portrays that inner turmoil can be so moving to people. Because we know what it's like.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PossumDeMort View Post
    One reason I enjoy them is just my ability to relate to what they are conveying, myself having a rocky past I enjoy knowing I wasn't alone in feeling some way or another.
    Yeah I find myself drawn to darker emotion vents because I know some people just need to know they aren't alone. I always do my best to leave a comment saying so. It sometimes is that little push they need to help them see a point in fighting.

    Quote Originally Posted by kynliod View Post
    Well, I'm drawn to darker, moodier themes in performance art (tv shows and the like), so there is something about being moved and having those emotions stirred up that is maybe in some ways cathartic. I think partly because we can relate to the troubles being portrayed. Broken characters will always be more interesting to me than Superman types, because I can sympathize with them. I tend to gravitate towards melancholic themes. Well, you can probably see that in my artwork actually, haha.

    In my experience, though happiness is pleasurable and what we want in our lives, it can come across as more shallow than the deeper, darker emotions. The kinds of emotions that we feel inside, but don't necessarily show to others. I think that's why seeing art that portrays that inner turmoil can be so moving to people. Because we know what it's like.
    I have this with characters as well. I am more drawn to villains than the heroes because the hero is always some superman like type, but the villain always has some backstory to why he became that way. In fact my entire time watching a show like Pokemon as a child I wanted them to focus more on team rocket because they had more depth and turmoil about them then any of the other characters.I find it interesting to see where people came from and in turn see if i can try and find a common root to their beliefs and actions that steam from them.

  7. #7
    Senior kynliod's Avatar
    Weasyl
    kynliod
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    PNW USA
    Gender
    Woman
    Posts
    164
    That's what was so fantastic about the villains in Daredevil and Jessica Jones. They were a thousand times more interesting than the heroes, LOL!

  8. #8
    I need to watch more shows. I found myself drawn more to Loki than Thor, My villains i made myself for my own stories more than my heros. Infact my favorite type of combination is the Hero that becomes a villain or the villain who is really a hero.

  9. #9

    Anyways...

    I think people view them more often because they aren't as common and often are quite beautiful, even if they are sad. It adds and interesting and new perspective to a (sometimes) ordinary art piece. I don't think people are silently judging you at all, and if they are I'm sure its not in a bad way.

  10. #10
    A lot of what appears to be your vent art has words in it that they're probably enlarging it to read. But you haven't really submitted so many things that it couldn't just be coincidence, either.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •