Page 481 of 517 FirstFirst ... 381431471479480481482483491 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,810 of 5170
    Weasyl
    Sarukai
    Quote Originally Posted by Agitoho View Post
    Wait, do... do they actually have a Patreon?

I'm starting to think I should get a Patreon... >.>
    I wouldn't surprise me in the least if they have one. As for making one, its purely up to you. I personally do not agree with the crowdfunding model of patreon and would never use it, mainly due to the encouragement for artists to use it as a closed paywall. But hey! Stupid opinions don't matter if its what you want.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarukai View Post
    I wouldn't surprise me in the least if they have one. As for making one, its purely up to you. I personally do not agree with the crowdfunding model of patreon and would never use it, mainly due to the encouragement for artists to use it as a closed paywall. But hey! Stupid opinions don't matter if its what you want.
    I second that. I have some political gripes with Patreon which is why I refuse to use it. It also takes 15% of everything you make there and it's incredibly easy to troll(pledge a shitload of money and then back out at the last moment/cancel your account, the same thing that happened to Brianna Wu).

@Sarukai: I fucking love that gif in your signature!
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    Agitoho
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarukai View Post
    I was always under the assumption that you had to be pretty decent at what you do to warrant using it, but I've seen some mediocre stuff getting more than a few bucks a month for what they do. So, hey, if people are willing to pay, right?

In an ideal world, people who use paywalls underhandedly (as in suddenly putting default content behind it when previously it was free) would lose all their patrons. But there will always be people apologizing for the artist's ways. I keep thinking of the infamous youtuber DSP who still has people giving him money despite what a terrible person he is because they have this idea that maybe if we treat him nice, things will go back to the way they were. Looking from the outside in, it comes off as some abusive relationship. "He apologized last time (which is what DSP does all the time) so things will be different now." A few days later he's still a terrible person and the cycle continues. I've seen this play out in comments, too. These people honestly believe things will be different now that DSP said he was sorry and refuse to see that no, he's still terrible.

He also starting paywalling his playthroughs. Gotta make that youtube money.

On the flipside, I've seen it used pretty nicely. I think David Willis, the creator of Dumbing of Age has his set up that if you donate so much a month, you get to see the next comic update like a full day before anyone else or something. I'm fine with using it like that.
    No matter what happens, I will have always produced more visible work on my solo project than Ken Penders has on his in the last five years.

I write and draw a manga. It's like a backwards comic. Give it shot, bro.

"You can't just slap "& Knuckles" onto everything." & Knuckles

Weasyl
    Sarukai
    Quote Originally Posted by GlaringFeline View Post
    I second that. I have some political gripes with Patreon which is why I refuse to use it. It also takes 15% of everything you make there and it's incredibly easy to troll(pledge a shitload of money and then back out at the last moment/cancel your account, the same thing that happened to Brianna Wu).
    The possibility of screwing over artists themselves is something I never even considered, that's a really good point considering many artists use it for their main income, which is concerning in itself.

If you are going to use patreon, You should only use it in addition to what you make from your product/merchandise at best due to how payments can fluctuate. It seems too much like a fad for it to be something I could get behind, not to mention the financial risks it would cause if you were to take it as too high a priority.
    Last edited by Sarukai; 08-17-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: quotes broke for some weird reason

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach

Weasyl
    N/A
    LOL, what the Zeitz?! XD That face is takin up too much space -tries to push under rug-

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra_Exe View Post
    Unrelated to that, it's getting hard for me to stay motivated to finish my artwork lately... Got too many things I should finish. (Working on one currently, but it's giving me problems still.) :c
    I do that occasionally, it might make it easier to try and plan a whole sitting for that piece like Zeitz said. Even if you gotta shove it on your desktop so it's nagging you to finish it everyday, mwaha.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    :d :d :d :d

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach