Page 264 of 517 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274314364 ... LastLast
Results 2,631 to 2,640 of 5170
    Weasyl
    Recel
    Hmm. I kind of remembered it was an unofficial thing. Oh well.

I'm checking it out now.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2632
    Weasyl
    RedSavage
    You know what I've learned? We're all alone in the end. Seriously. BUT it's not to be taken as something depressing. Just listen.

Look, no matter how long you live your life with someone, pouring out your soul, or no matter how long you spend writing down or drawing what's going on in your head, you will always be alone, in your head, all to yourself, till the day you die. Whether it be on your deathbed, pinned between two Volvos on the interstate, or at your second cousin's Free Mason's meeting, you will be alone when you take that final breath and face the finite unknown. No one can hold your hand when you can no longer move it. No one can tell you it will be alright all senses fade into nothingness. Your deepest, darkest or lightest intricacies that make you who you are will only be known to yourself, and only yourself.

Life means nothing, in that sense. You're not taking it with you. You can tell anyone after it happens. None of it.

BUT. As I said. This shouldn't be seen as depressing.

It is, in fact, liberating.

This is your free ticket. This is your get out of jail free. You can literally do ANYTHING that makes you happy, because if it's all about nothing--then you freely create with no regret. Just like a blank page begs for words or drawn lines, your life begs for purpose.

But you're not going to find happiness and purpose under some fookin' rock one day. There's no well dressed, fat man in wire frame glasses that's going to show up on your porch and say, "Congratulation's! You now make X dollars a year, have X amount of friends, and an X graded level of family and lover! You win at life!"

No. Just no.

You wanna know why people have a mid-life crisis? Because they wake up one day and realize, "Holy shit-snacks. I've done everything I was supposed to do and I'm still not happy because, you know what? I never actually did X, Y, and Z."

And then they go out and buy a motorcycle or whatever because it makes them HAPPY. Not because they need it, or because it'll help them in the future, but because it makes them HAPPY. And isn't that a shitty thing? Waiting until you're 30 to realize that you have to make your own purpose in life Your own happiness? You own love and dreams?

Discover it now. Fulfil what makes you happy NOW. Whether it's smoking and drinking and reading mystery novels all day, going to college to work and the most successful coconut truffle maker, or live off the land in Quebec, fucking go for it.

And because you're alone in your head, that means no one can honestly say anything against it that matters. No one can judge you because we're going to die and shit-talk doesn't carry into the afterlife. That's called finding peace within yourself.

And every moment you share with someone? When you DO reveal yourself to others, and when other reveal themselves to you, and you empathize and come to understand other people's pain and how to lessen it? When you love and learn to share and teach love? You've become at peace with the world.

And so yanno, I feel like... Being "lonely" is a negative way to look at it. I call it "solitude", which is the celebration of being alone. You can be at one with yourself. You can think clearly. You feel how you want to feel with no shame. Find peace within yourself before looking for acceptance in others (which is not even needed--ever).

But obviously, I can just say all this like it's the easiest thing in the world, but it's only because I've worked towards as an ideal in life that I not only believe, but live, that allows me to say it in passing breath. It probably isn't easy. Especially for people with problems that probably rate higher than mine. But? It's a place to start. Something to work for.

I just wish more people would believe this.
    Last edited by RedSavage; 05-19-2014 at 10:16 PM.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2633
    ^ one of those Volvos will be mine, hah.

I think there's gotta be tons of philosophical arguments that fight well against the, "there's nothing in the end so do whatever you want" way of thinking, CC. If you want to argue it, anyway. I don't, I don't care enough to debate philosophy itself, it's too personal. I see where you come from but I don't totally buy it, just because the effect that we have on each other as individuals. So what if people don't ever really know everything about me? Fuck knows -I- don't. If they know enough to know they're cool with being friendly, sounds good to me. I desire companionship more than anything else; that is my dream. If you lived my life, you'd understand why that's my #1 desire as an adult. I have no lifelong friends because of how much I moved, I have no idea what it's like to grow up in even the same region. I just want to spend the remaining time of my life with people I care about to some degree or another, both friends of all levels and a partner once I run into the right person. I don't need them to validate me as a person, but I do need others around to achieve my happiness. Others are inextricable from that, so unfortunately I just can't see that as a universal truth.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    I'm going to have an eternity of hummus. Your argument just got Tosh'd.

Athiests: 0
    Religion: 0
    CC: 0
    Toshabi: 16

Weasyl
    Vae
    I don't think I could afford to do the things that would honestly, truly make me at peace with myself.

Actually, I don't even think that's chemically possible, with my own mind.
    There will always be something that topples that effort right over. Because perfectionism and anxiety and depression issues.

All you can truly do is numb yourself enough to get by, and take solace in whatever distractions you can manage.

/debbiedowner
    Resident Koopa Trash

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2636
    Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    ^ one of those Volvos will be mine, hah.

I think there's gotta be tons of philosophical arguments that fight well against the, "there's nothing in the end so do whatever you want" way of thinking, CC. If you want to argue it, anyway. I don't, I don't care enough to debate philosophy itself, it's too personal. I see where you come from but I don't totally buy it, just because the effect that we have on each other as individuals. So what if people don't ever really know everything about me? Fuck knows -I- don't. If they know enough to know they're cool with being friendly, sounds good to me. I desire companionship more than anything else; that is my dream. If you lived my life, you'd understand why that's my #1 desire as an adult. I have no lifelong friends because of how much I moved, I have no idea what it's like to grow up in even the same region. I just want to spend the remaining time of my life with people I care about to some degree or another, both friends of all levels and a partner once I run into the right person. I don't need them to validate me as a person, but I do need others around to achieve my happiness. Others are inextricable from that, so unfortunately I just can't see that as a universal truth.
    See that's totally cool.

First---let me be clear. i dun't want to argue either. I'm just drunk and rambling.
    I am gonna recognize that difference though, that you need other people to happy. I guess you could say I'm just a big fan of inner peace. Cause you can't really control the universe, which may or may not leave you along and rejected in this very life (negative, but the only tangible thing I can connect my thoughts to) BUT that doesn't make me better or even RIGHT about it. Just my view... as I said... and so did you...

Ah balls I'm hitting that tired stage now.

Something something, man there's probably a hundred philosophes that contradict my views. I'll have to look them up later. Another another thing, if you want companionship it falls under striving for what makes you happy, something something I'm too optimistic for my own good--

I love hearing other people's views without necessarily proving who is right/wrong or better/dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    I'm going to have an eternity of hummus. Your argument just got Tosh'd.

Athiests: 0
    Religion: 0
    CC: 0
    Toshabi: 16
    No I'm fairly certain I deserve at least a few points for being fabulous. That counts for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I don't think I could afford to do the things that would honestly, truly make me at peace with myself.

Actually, I don't even think that's chemically possible, with my own mind.
    There will always be something that topples that effort right over. Because perfectionism and anxiety and depression issues.

/debbiedowner
    I was in the same sort of place and mindset. In terms of chemical in the head. Maybe see a doctor, cause when I finally stopped being in denial and swallowed a bunch of pride I went in and got a very light dosed anti-depressant and holy wow it helped a lot. I'm not saying it's your magic cure, but maybe consider seeing a doc about it (blindly assuming that you may not have already~)

But nonetheless I hope things get better for you.
    Last edited by RedSavage; 05-19-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Cc: π

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2638
    Weasyl
    RedSavage
    ghdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    Cc: π
    I like pie.

Weasyl
    N/A
    oh singin' everything will be alriiiiiiight~

i was sadness but now all is joy! i want to hug everyone and give you all nice things

I get where you are coming from CC and I totally understand,or at least I think I do, the points you are trying to make. I used to be scared of life or the world having no greater meaning. I dealt with that fear by clinging to my religious beliefs like a piece of debris that was the only thing stopping me from drowning. I wondered how people who believed in a meaningless existence could be happy or why they would even bother to continue existing. Eventually I did come to understand their perspective on things and while I still don't believe that life is meaningless I am no longer afraid of a universe devoid of greater meaning like I once was.

As for the philosophy side of things while I don't know of any arguments against the position you are holding here I do know of a good essay that discusses much of what you are talking about here in greater detail. Its called The Myth of Sisyphus and it is written by Albert Camus. I read it after FayV recommended it to me and it is what helped me to understand these things.