Page 361 of 517 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411461 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 5170
    Weasyl
    Daisy La Liebre
    I'm a transsexual and not making generaisations about the whole world is a healthier approach for me. Allows me to view individuals based on their own character rather than their background, which is how I like to be treated. It also allows for more faith in humanity which makes life rather peaceful.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    yr right how dare I have brought up that I've been receiving death threats from AGDQ fans for the past half year b/c I asked one of the runners not to make fun of trans folk it's a real shame that this paints that group of people and culture that allows it in a negative light lmao
    One time, in [location] a [race] mugged me so now I know that all [race] are thieves and there is no greater hive of scum and villainy than [location].
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Runefox
    So AGDQ hit its first $500k goal in short order, with over 11.5k donors, and that's not even including the Humble Bundle, Yetee and Twitch funds. Pretty awesome if you ask me. The races last night were pretty great, and if anyone was watching the TASbot block a couple days ago… Wow.

Weasyl
    Manna
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    One time, in [location] a [race] mugged me so now I know that all [race] are thieves and there is no greater hive of scum and villainy than [location].
    Did you just compare "being a gamer" to being part of an ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    Except those groups of people aren't responsible for the actions of some idiots on the internet, that may or may not share the same label, identity or demographic as them...

Do I really have to use a race or black & white man analogy?
    The above applies to you too but also it's interesting you say it's "some idiots" or "a vocal minority" when like just look at this thread

I mention I've been receiving death threats for half a year and y'alls first reaction is to get defensive and say "not all gamers!" but like

If Gamers can be cleanly divided into "people who make fun of the disabled / send death threats to trans people" and "people who ignore that issue within their community and punish trans / disabled people for complaining" I'm not entirely sure where the "good" people are lmao

Like obviously not ~all~ self identifying "Gamers" are the kind of people who would make fun of a disabled woman, but I've got multiple of you in this thread defending those actions rather than condemning them
    Last edited by Manna; 01-08-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    No, I just compared being a [noun] group to being part of a [noun] group. Though I like how you think that's the problem with that statement.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics

Weasyl
    Manna
    No, I just compared being a [noun] group to being part of a [noun] group. Though I like how you think that's the problem with that statement.
    Yeah I think it's a problem when you conflate someone's choice to self identify as a "gamer" with someone's ethnic group lmao

Like I'm legit surprised you don't see a difference

like what are the implications of your post? Do you think "Gamers" are as persecuted as racial minorities? Do you not think there's a difference between self identity and race? Do you think racial minorities are monoliths, with as cohesive an outlook and expression as voluntary subcultures like "Gamers"? There's just so much fucked up with saying "well if I can't say all black people are terrible, then you can't criticize Gamers for allowing terrible behaviour"

Weasyl
    N/A
    I think if a point ever flew over someones head this would be the Sputnik of points.

Weasyl
    Manna
    I think if a point ever flew over someones head this would be the Sputnik of points.
    okay you're obv. going to ignore the shitty racial implications of what you're saying so w/e I'll move on

Let's compare "Gamers" to other interest groups, like Furries

Furries have a lot of shitty parts to their fandom too and it's completely okay to critique that fandom for being shitty. P much all the big furry sites are notorious for encouraging the H slur for example. The difference between Furries and Gamers tho is there's like 1 million groups of furries who actively encourage positive behaviour in the fandom and call people out when they do violent shit. You got sites like Furryscumbags and Furry Fandom Jerks, administrated by furries who want to make the fandom a better place by discouraging shitty and violent behaviour

But even with all this self policing, it's still like 100% okay to critique Furries for having a shitty culture that promotes the use of slurs etc. Like in the case of Furries (unlike gamers) you can objectively say "not all of them are terrible" but they're ~still~ not immune to critique

That's the thing about voluntary subculture, when you tie your name to something the actions of that group reflect on you. You either condemn the actions of the "violent few" and work to make your fandom better or you're complicit in it

Weasyl
    N/A
    That must suck for Muslims.

Weasyl
    Manna
    That must suck for Muslims.
    If you don't think there's a correlation between ethnic group and religion then I don't know what to tell you lmao

Like once again stop comparing your need to self identify as a "Gamer" with being born into a culture