Page 513 of 517 FirstFirst ... 13413463503511512513514515 ... LastLast
Results 5,121 to 5,130 of 5170
    Weasyl
    Pignog
    Quote Originally Posted by Antumbra View Post
    I'll probably do thumbnails first just to make sure I didn't miss some huge plot hole or continuity error, then I'll write it out like a screenplay so I can see if it flows correctly. My worst nightmare is to be halfway through the series and then realize I made a major plot point at the beginning make no sense T_T

Do you have your comics posted online?
    http://catsofaugust.tumblr.com (it's india ink on bristol)

I do it the opposite way -- here's my process: I start daydreaming what I want to write, then when I have some time i set a timer for one or two hours. Once the timer starts I just write, stream of consciousness, ignoring sentence structure, grammar, etc. The idea is just to get the stuff out of my head and onto a page. A lot of it ends up being trash. I sit on it for a while, and when I have more free time I pick away at it, organize it better, fix it up, add dialogue. Once I have a fleshed out story that's serviceable I start storyboarding. Some of these storyboards stay the same, but sometimes when I get to doing the actual page I'll throw it out and redo the storyboard until it "clicks" better. I might change dialogue, or truncate/combine/add frames. Then I pencil it, followed by inking. Then I realise some mistakes at the end and suppress the urge to rip the page apart, swearing I'll do better next time.

But everyone's process is different.

Weasyl
    Agitoho
    I've actually never given too much thought on my process when it comes to my manga, but thinking about it now... I get a basic plot idea. I create characters foremost, with little descriptions so I know what everyone's main thing is (sometimes it can be full paragraphs, sometimes it'll be one sentence). For a manga, I do thumbnails of each page, writing the script along side the thumbnails. For a written story, I might do chapter summaries, especially if it's something I'm not writing on a daily basis. I re-read everything constantly to find any plot holes, contradictions, etc. I usually try to come up with scripts for manga first, (be it with thumbnails or just a script with little sketches or side notes about how a character should say something, if they do it a panel later or in the same panel as whatever they're reacting to) but if I can't, I'll do some world building: What does the population do for jobs, what's the religion like, details on the setting, what are the myths and lore, where is everything located? I feel like it's stuff a lot of people wouldn't think about, but it's there for that one person who might ask about it.
    No matter what happens, I will have always produced more visible work on my solo project than Ken Penders has on his in the last five years.

I write and draw a manga. It's like a backwards comic. Give it shot, bro.

"You can't just slap "& Knuckles" onto everything." & Knuckles

Weasyl
    Agitoho
    My character designs get more views than the manga the characters come from.

My priorities are in the wrong place, it seems. =P

My NaNoWriMo is coming along okay. I might take the day off because I haven't been able to draw anything in the past few days and I need a fix. My word count for the past two days have been a bit over the recommended 1,667 a day, so I think I can take the hit and make up for it later.
    No matter what happens, I will have always produced more visible work on my solo project than Ken Penders has on his in the last five years.

I write and draw a manga. It's like a backwards comic. Give it shot, bro.

"You can't just slap "& Knuckles" onto everything." & Knuckles

I'm bored and lonely. Gimme some reasons to post here, I wanna feel like I belong somewhere on the web. :S

Been stressed lately because of online bullshit.

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliegator View Post
    I'm bored and lonely. Gimme some reasons to post here, I wanna feel like I belong somewhere on the web. :S

Been stressed lately because of online bullshit.
    Well one big upside of posting here is you can hear yourself think.

Sadly I don't think this is one of the best places to have company. It has been pretty dead here.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Death makes for the best company

Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    I guess Most ppl just use Phoenix these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflygoddess View Post
    I guess Most ppl just use Phoenix these days.
    I just can't stand all the hateful attitudes there and how relaxed the mods are about it when they should fucking try harder and enforce the damn rules.

What a buncha pussies.
    Last edited by kelliegator; 11-14-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    It's taken a ridiculously long time to reply, mainly because I don't know how to reply. I'm finally making an attempt to reply and I apologize in advanced if it is a pitiful attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    The sad and, for me, painful reality of it is that it's precisely because of those popular artists and a lot of the existing (but I believe rapidly dwindling) momentum of Dragoneer's own cult of personality (and even then people have been saying for years it's not even him to blame as much as everyone he ends up surrounding himself with) that, for him and for many, justify the coddling of everyone from animal rapists to child predators in the name of maintaining the illusion of community, togetherness. That's gone, if it was ever there. The cat's out of the bag. The can of worms has been opened. And no one can tell me that didn't have as much to do with the inevitable backlash and downright anarchy we saw on display on those forums as frustration over the treatment of staff, users, and the physical (as much as code can be physical anyway), functional (barely anymore) site itself when that is what so many people focused on in their rants. Again, most, or at least many of us, came to feel like we'd been part of a cult more than a community.
    I don't know if Dragoneer's fame is starting to dwindle down, I haven't been keeping up with him lately. The popular artists probably stay because all the money is on FA. I forget who brought this point up, it might have been Zeitzbach; he(sorry if I misgendered you, all this time and I don't know what pronouns you go by :c ) said that if the popular artists move, the fans will follow them and vise-versa. Both sides are fucked over with the FA situation because neither want to pack up and leave, whether it be because they're already indoctrinated into FA's twisted ideals or because they don't want to lose what fame they have and the artists they love by leaving. If Zeit's theory is right, if one side just bites the bullet and leaves, the other side should follow and FA will become digital ruins and hopefully a tomb for the fucked up ideals they perpetuated and failed to adhere to when convenient.

I'm not going to deny that frustration over treatment of users, staff, etc played a hand in what happened on FAF. I'm not very versed in what took place on FAF, but from what I've read the community was pretty shitty like on the mainsite and like you pointed out, very much so subscribed into a Tumblr-like groupthink and the collapse was like a building burning to the ground. If you have any links where I can read up on the chain of events that occurred over at FAF, I'll gladly read it. I'll Google some as well.

This is not the first time I've seen it happen. It's the exact reason I may as well be an ex-therian. That community, or whatever is left of it now, was nothing but a hotbed of little cults of personality and like with furry, it was often centered around an artist, or particular handful of artists who all happened to be friends. The only reason I don't name names is because many of those same artists themselves eventually realized what they had become, what they had created, and just slammed the brakes on it. If most are still around, it's in the furry fandom and they now take a drastically different approach to life and online communities.
    I don't know anything about the therian community except what they believe, so I can't comment on that.

We learned our lessons. We simply wish others would learn something from all of this grief.
    That was a lesson I learned on dA and it took me a while to finally say that I've had enough.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't the best way to word what I'm getting at. It's sort of a newish concept to me is why. Basically what I think I'm trying to say is, this kind of sheer, unrefined vitriol, hate and monkey-brained bullshit is really all a lot of these people on FAF and now Phoenix ever wanted. And they, in many ways both subtle and overt, do everything in their dwindling power to impose their views and culture on any and all who step into the digital lion's den. Anyone who opposes it, criticizes it, attacks it, had to be dubbed "crazy" as if there is any semblance of sanity to the alternative they propose beyond the fictional and completely made-up kind of "logic" someone like Heath Ledger's Joker pretends to have for the sake of stirring shit and being a wannabe cyber-villain. It can't even be called trolling anymore when there's no attached notion of a purpose beyond that because most principled trolls do seem to believe they have a greater purpose than just that.
    Ooohhh, I see what you mean. Would it be accurate to say that it sounds similar to the mindset third-wave feminists take on?

On FAF you had to at least pay lip-service to that ideal because the rest of the, more or less reality-based, critical-thinking community as you pretty accurately describe who did actually have a bit of influence up until the bitter end would not completely abide a virtual reality simulation of Lord Of The Flies. And the result was this stupid dance where everyone tiptoed around the reality they were trying to create, lobbying to get certain people silenced because they don't like their opinions or just personality of a person in the name of vaguely-defined ideals - ideals they were shitting on in those same threads. I mean, you didn't even have discussions as much as badly designed political campaigns against specific users the minute an OP would get its first reply. Barely anyone attacked a person's ideas as much as the person. It was blatant to some of us.
    Oohhh. I understand.

Me and Zaraphayx found this pretty good list-type article from I think Buzzfeed a few years back about furries which we dissected while recording our lil' podcast project and it was just rife with contradictions. Like, it was impossible to tell for certain if these were the misconceptions about furry, or if these were explanations of what the actual fuck furry is about. And it seemed like a great deal of it stems exactly from that, the mindless kind of SJW "tolerance" that is fully intolerant of anything but blind, unquestioning and unconditional acceptance. People forget tolerance and acceptance aren't the same thing. But I think furries, of all people, ought to find tolerance within themselves, even of those they don't like or agree with. The obsession with acceptance renders that impossible, for others and eventually for them because another thing I've seen time and time again is as how these groups shrink and become more and more about infighting and arbitrary tests of loyalty as they do.
    I admit, I'm one of those people who sometimes mix up tolerance and acceptance.

Half the reason I keep using the cult metaphor is because to me and I think at least a few others, FA's demand of photo id and the entire premise of a nondisclosure agreement for a purely, strictly, unpaid, voluntary "job" came off as a blatant attempt at such a "test". Gee, no one bit, how astonishing! Reality trumped fantasy once reality became that cold, bitter and cynical. A critical thinker will just say "I told ya so" because they knew it always was like that.
    I did some reading up and I found something about requiring photo-id and the non-disclosure-agreements. From what I read, the higher ups really started pushing them after Renashe and Kalmor posted their journals on FA and stepped down. I don't think most of, if any staffers even signed a NDA to begin with so that shows that FA lashed out at them out of spite.
    I'll level, the only reason I even gave a shit about this place after many times on and off here, and not without my own share of problems here, was because after Tha Incident the blatant manslaughter of Red Savage and Milo Time I became determined to let something good come of that. FAF had a golden opportunity to make that happen, and it didn't even try. But here, there were fewer problems to even address. Red especially seemed to see a lot of potential here. I'd love for her faith to be vindicated somehow because it sure as hell was not to be vindicated for a huge chunk of the people she died believing in and playing therapist to. And it probably never will be.
    I never knew Red that well, but I know she was very down-to-Earth and someone I would have liked to know better. One of the only times I lurked on FAF was to read what people were saying and doing about her death and I had to close the tab because of how infuriated I was. I saw one person who was saying things along the lines of "rest in pieces" and spreading hate about her. I can't say much about Milo since I never even spoke to him or knew he existed before this happened. I just hope that Weasyl will put the potential that Red saw to good use, and from what I've seen the mods have their heads screwed on the right way so I don't think there's much concern there. I've read some negative things about the moderation here but I haven't seen what people are claiming is happening for myself.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliegator View Post
    I just can't stand all the hateful attitudes there and how relaxed the mods are about it when they should fucking try harder and enforce the damn rules.

What a buncha pussies.
    You have to know how to communicate to them, and you tend to just demand things. Which gets you nowhere.