Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanda View Post
    1) People are already kinda skipping things they don’t believe to affect them, so eh, same problem really.

2) The “order and flow” of the guidelines is already a giant mess of;
    “Read more about this in moderate, Now go to below Explicit to read additional info, then back to Mature to finish understanding this rating” …Hope you got i all, if not here is a strike, yey!
    Also the things that should go in explicit are still rules that affect all the other ratings, so I’m not seeing how this is a problem. It’s a way bigger issue needing to read the explicit rules and notes below them to know that sex toys or dirty diapers Don’t belong in General, Moderate or Mature.
    If we make the guidelines too long and repetitive, people won't bother reading them at all. As I said before, we already get complaints that our guidelines are too long; if we added the same information to every category they would be way longer. As for making it shorter- we once had a staff discussion about making a preamble to the guidelines that was basically one or two sentences for each rating tier that would supposedly make them easy to understand and only take a minute to read. I personally am not a fan of the idea, because each tier has five categories within it and trying to sum up five categories in one sentence would be impossible and ineffective. So we're stuck- make it too long, people won't bother to read it at all. Make it too short, and people won't have enough information to rate their submissions. It's not that hard to read the guidelines in full length once or twice, then when you need to go back to it to find out where a particular subject is rated you can skim the guidelines till you find where it is mentioned. I think the language could be clarified in the guidelines, and make some parts of it more clear and less strict, but I don't think it's necessary to add a whole lot of the same information to every category.
    Last edited by Tiger; 02-04-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Weasyl
    Swanda
    As is now, the rules are only helpful the first time you read them, and not at all later if you seek to be 110% sure about one certain rating. Saying that people “need to read it in full every so often anywho” is nothing but wishful thinking on your part. As you say, you're already getting complaints as is, so telling ppl to re-read it in full every time they’re in doubt is kinda defeating the point. Add to it that most people juggle several art sites all with different rules and aren’t posting here all that often, getting uncertain about the rules most likely isn’t that uncommon.

You could instead, perhaps, if you were willing to invest in it, make an "X rating explained in depth" under each rating, that would take the user to a sub-page dedicated to well, explaining everything that affects a rating in depth. Heck you could even add guide/reference images to help out those who understand things better with visual input. It would be a lot of work to get it just right tho.
    But honestly, simply following lorenith ‘s suggestion would be a huge improvement made with very little effort.

Also as a side note;
    If you could somehow change the look of the current Ratings page to not be such a wall o’text, it most likely wouldn’t feel like such a daunting task to read them all the first time around.
    Maybe make it into expanding/closing things?! Dunno how that would work on a phone tho, or if would even make sense at all, I’m tired and shouldn’t even be awake.. heeheee

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    If we make the guidelines too long and repetitive
    The guidelines are already repetitive, they're at least described three times each on the page.

They're each described at the top in general terms.

Then they're described again in slightly different general terms.

And then they're described again in more detail in regards to language, sex, drugs, and violence.

Then modifiers are thrown in further down that apply to stuff further up on the list, the content guidelines are practically spaghetti code at this point.

I understand that the ratings guidelines can't possibly try to cover every single edge case, and at some point the person posting up artwork needs to take responsibility for their own ratings as well.

But you can put the modifiers that immediately shoot any piece of work to explicit either further up on the list or work it into each description, or refer the reader to explicit, without having the rules be repetitive or long, it simply requires that the rules be refined and streamlined.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    FeyPhoenix
    Just want to add that I found another instance of this today. Apparently a mod went through a gallery and marked several innocent pieces of feral animals mature because they showed accurate bodies. This is a bit ridiculous and should be addressed immediately.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #15

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by FeyPhoenix View Post
    Just want to add that I found another instance of this today. Apparently a mod went through a gallery and marked several innocent pieces of feral animals mature because they showed accurate bodies. This is a bit ridiculous and should be addressed immediately.
    We will be discussing how ratings affect feral animals/creatures but we will need some time to discuss the issue and to see if it will result in an update on the ratings pages.

Thanks for your patience.

Weasyl
    FeyPhoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    We will be discussing how ratings affect feral animals/creatures but we will need some time to discuss the issue and to see if it will result in an update on the ratings pages.

Thanks for your patience.
    Just want to point out that this incident is being mocked on some social media sites and many references to art of similar accuracy from general audience movies are being referenced as well as other art in general. =/

Weasyl
    Flygon
    I absolutely have to say, that this sort of problem is why I only use the 'General' and 'Explicit' tags. I'm just too afraid to use anything inbetween whenever there's anything even slightly edge case... so it just goes right into the 'Explicit' bin.

Just to chime in, for the sake of character design in of itself where there is this sliding scale between human and animal anatomy, the fact that something stands on two legs or four shouldn't be the one attribute that defines if fully-rendered genitals are age appropriate or not. I'd just treat it the same way you treat nude figure drawings. If it's nude and the genitals are rendered, give it the same rating you would give a drawing of a nude human. Humans are animals after all.

Weasyl
    oly
    uhh... yeah i mean, if there's visibly defined genitalia, it shouldn't be in general, regardless of whether it's bipedal or quadrupedal.

And by the by, i know this is a losing battle, but feral doesn't mean quadrupedal feral means something/someone that was domesticated and has returned to a wild state just say quadruped or quad ugh ugh UGH UGH

Weasyl
    FeyPhoenix
    quadrupedal and bipedal have nothing to do with whether something is a wild creature or an intelligent being. And that is the problem here. We are talking about wild animals being drawn with a little bit of sheath showing. Which, in a general audience movie, was unquestioned as being appropriate. We can see wild animals with everything on display in magazines and galleries for general audiences too. Generally, unless a male animal has an erection or the picture is focused on the genitalia specifically, it's okay for all ages.