Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Weasyl
    Tiger

Ask Me Anything About Living with Schizophrenia

Hello everyone!

So this is something I wanted to do for a while, but never had the courage to do so until yesterday and today. Yesterday I made a blog/online diary about my life living with schizophrenia. You can find the blog here: http://schizotiger.tumblr.com/

I wanted to start talking to people to find out how I could help them understand and accept this disorder more. My Facebook friends have been very supportive, but haven't come forward with any questions yet, nor has anyone on Tumblr. I want this to be an interactive and educational blog; one that caters to both my needs as a writer and society's needs as consumers of information.

So feel free to either a) ask me a question here on the forums or b) ask me anonymously through Tumblr. The forums will get you a quicker answer since I'm very new to Tumblr and the world of blogging, but either way, I will answer as promptly, honestly, and thoroughly as I can. Any question is fair game, I just ask that all questions fit within forum rules and no questions that are above PG-13 in nature.

If you want to know about particular symptoms, when it starts, how it's treated, how to deal with symptoms, etc. I'm more than willing to share that information with you guys. So, ask away!

Thanks for reading!

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    how often does it happen that you get some kind of manifestation of the symptoms?

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    how often does it happen that you get some kind of manifestation of the symptoms?
    Pretty much daily. What differs by day is the severity of the symptoms. Some days I might have slight hallucinations that don't really bother me, some days I might hallucinate so bed I lay in bed for hours trying different ways to get a grip on reality. The same goes with delusions; some days I may have an unrealistic thought or two but easily dismiss them, other days I have many delusions that I obsess over as real facts. The entry in my blog titled "A Simple Task? Nope." goes through how delusions spring up in my day-to-day life. But almost every day since this disorder started developing (a little over a year and a half ago) I've experienced some sort of symptom.

How did you first come to understand that your symptoms were the product of a mental illness, and not an accurate perception of reality? Were you ever in denial about it?

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCat View Post
    How did you first come to understand that your symptoms were the product of a mental illness, and not an accurate perception of reality? Were you ever in denial about it?
    To be honest, even after a year and a half of going through this, I still sometimes don't recognize I'm having symptoms and perceive them as the real deal. My psychiatrist, therapist, and boyfriend have been the main three people that taught me how to realize when I am hallucinating or delusional. And I was very much in denial about it when I was first diagnosed in October of 2014. I desperately wanted what I thought was real to be right, and often found myself thinking "I'm right, I know the demons are real, everyone else is just wrong." I still think like that occasionally but not nearly as much as I used to. When I'm questioning whether or not what I'm thinking, hearing, or seeing is real, I talk to someone (usually my boyfriend, sometimes my mom or my boyfriend's sister) and try and figure out what's really going on. I've gotten a lot better at dealing with hallucinations and delusions, but they do still get to me at times.

What constitutes a delusion as opposed to just really grandiose, powerful ideas? And for a schizophrenic, do delusions change over time, or does one tend to be stuck with the delusions they start out with?

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    What constitutes a delusion as opposed to just really grandiose, powerful ideas? And for a schizophrenic, do delusions change over time, or does one tend to be stuck with the delusions they start out with?
    Good questions! So a delusion is a false belief in reality, something absolutely not real. A few examples of delusions I've had, for example, are:1) believing that because there were two white cars next to each other on a road I was driving on, that they must be working for the government and were tracking me and wanted me dead 2) that my classmate sitting next to me was controlling my mind and body and using me as a way of saying her answers to the class 3) a specific type of delusion, called a Capgras delusion. In my Capgras delusion, I woke up next to my boyfriend and thought someone had replaced him with an identical clone. So I quizzed him to make sure he was the real Matt. A grandiose, powerful idea might be something like "I'm going to start a company and become a millionaire by the time I retire!" It's a kind of outlandish idea, and not gonna happen for most people, but not entirely a false belief.

As for the changing over time thing, that can be true. I know some schizophrenics who have a certain set of delusions and that has stuck with the for years, or other people, like me, can have constantly changing delusions based on the environment and circumstanes around them. I have some delusions that have stuck around longer than others, but mine do have a tendency to change quickly based on where I am, what I'm doing, who/what is around me, and so on.

Weasyl
    Skylar_Husky
    I have a silly question. My situation and yours differ greatly. I suffer terribly from allergy induced migraines. Some migraines bring with them visual hallucinations, auditory hallucinations (I sometimes hear weird things) and I can have incredibly confusing thoughts.
    My question for you is multi-pronged.
    Do you (A) Suffer from another affliction which can exacerbate your current symptoms with Schizophrenia?
    Do you (B) Suffer from auditory hallucinations as well as visual hallucinations?
    Do you (C) ever have confusing thoughts as result of Schizophrenia or other affliction you may or may not suffer?

I hope my question wasn't too silly.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar_Husky View Post
    I have a silly question. My situation and yours differ greatly. I suffer terribly from allergy induced migraines. Some migraines bring with them visual hallucinations, auditory hallucinations (I sometimes hear weird things) and I can have incredibly confusing thoughts.
    My question for you is multi-pronged.
    Do you (A) Suffer from another affliction which can exacerbate your current symptoms with Schizophrenia?
    Do you (B) Suffer from auditory hallucinations as well as visual hallucinations?
    Do you (C) ever have confusing thoughts as result of Schizophrenia or other affliction you may or may not suffer?

I hope my question wasn't too silly.
    I don't think your question is silly at all! To answer:

a) I also have been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and we are working on figuring out if I have Bi-Polar disorder. The MDD can really mess with the Schizophrenia, more than the GAD does. Depression makes it a lot harder to deal with the symptoms have schizophrenia.
    b) Yes, I do, but the visual have always been more severe and frequent, it's been this way since I was a teen.
    c) Absolutely. This is a symptom known as "delusions" and I talk a little more about them in my post responding to Wolf-Bone. In addition, sometimes I have thoughts that are just strings of random words or phrases chopped up and put together to make a sentence. This is known as a "word salad".

I hope I answered your question, feel free to ask more if you'd like.

Weasyl
    BerryBubbleBlast
    Not sure if this is the "right" type of question to ask, but have you ever gotten inspiration for anything from your schizophrenia? Apart from writing your blog that is, although I'm not sure that can be classed as inspiration.
    "An artist who canít take constructive critique on their work is only hurting themselves and their potential.
    Conversely, and artist that canít communicate a critique in a constructive way isnít helping anybody."
    "It's perfectly fine to draw things any way you want. However you should always ask yourself; is it believable?"
    "You must be allowed to be a bit weird sometimes. Otherwise you're not normal."