Suggestion: Opting out of download feature

Hello,

I am loving the Weasyl experience so far, but I have one suggestion. I'd love if I could have the option to make my work available for download or not, instead of it being available for download by default.

If there is a way to turn that feature off, and I've missed it, please let me know

Thank you in advance!
    CapeCodCreatures

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    I don't think this is something we're looking at because to be honest, the only way to prevent someone from being able to download it is to prevent them from being able to access it at all. Any image in the browser you can right-click on and select "Save (image) as...", so removing the download button would just be a minor inconvenience. Same deal with multimedia and literature - if they can see/hear it, they've technically already downloaded it.

Weasyl
    oly
    Possibly you could implement disabling full-resolution downloads? Like limit it to the scaled down versions that are displayed on the pages? I dunno if enough people post files of a high enough reso for that to make a difference, though.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    Possibly you could implement disabling full-resolution downloads? Like limit it to the scaled down versions that are displayed on the pages? I dunno if enough people post files of a high enough reso for that to make a difference, though.
    I guess but.. if you didn't want people to have the original size, wouldn't you just scale it down yourself before uploading it?
    that's what I do, usually.

Thanks for the reply

How about the option to watermark or post license options? It just seems to me that openly allowing downloading of all content willy-nilly without artist input is something you wouldn't want on a site that promotes art commerce.

That being said, you're right. As artists we should take our own initiative to protect our work. In the meantime I'll begin watermarking images on my own

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    That might be an option, I can't make any promises by myself but I'll make a note of it and bring it up with the others.

Weasyl
    oly
    Regarding watermarking; it's something youtube allows you to do easily. Not that that means anything, but food for though?

Weasyl
    Flygon
    Considering the probability that users may post across multiple sites... I do think that supplying a Watermark for the user to apply in-post (as in, by themselves) might be just as helpful.