Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38
  1. #21
    Senior Kurk2288's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by sayum View Post
    I love Weasyl's set up. I think its on the right road to being my top pick for an art site in terms of how it works and looks. At the same time I feel kind of isolated not being a furry even though Weasyl is not strictly furry only. It feels like a lot of people assume people on the forums are furrs. Not everyone, obviously, but just browsing through the forums every once in a while I see the assumption pretty often.

    I am struggling to find the motivation to post, discouraged about being discarded for not having the right kind of content for the majority of the community. Is it silly to stay? Hanging out somewhere where the majority's interests align but not with your own?

    I am looking for opinions and advice.
    Don't pay attention to the fucking shills contesting Weasyl be their "furry club-house". That "tolerates non-furs". Even if the staff doesn't address them, for whatever reason. Regulars like myself will get to them eventually. Fuzzy or not. Don't ever stop posting WHAT YOU WANT. Simply because it doesn't appeal to the prevailing masses or mainstream. Whatever your reasons and motives are for being here. That decides your presence and activity.

    If you're just here for business and only business. I wouldn't recommend sticking around, unless your desired customers are Furries. In which case, do anthropomorphic work of your liking. Guilt free. At least until the user-base here overlaps with other fandoms or clientele. If you're here to mingle, shoot shit, personal development or whatever. Weasyl has potential, especially the forums. Considering things here are kept pg-13, it's not flooded like DA and there's regulars.

    If you want my 2 cents. Don't fall into a flase dichotomy and don't look at people as arbitrary labels.
    Come and go as you please, you're not obligated to stay, just have fun or make some dough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Just being honest. We've always been a general art site, but there's currently no denying that furries seem to use the site more than anyone else. That said, I do still run across non-furry galleries, and furries are also comfortable posting their own non-furry artwork here.
    I think you're not being entirely honest. Given Weasyl's development, but that's just nitpicking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metsys View Post
    That's not a fair comparison though. If you a talking about sites like DeviantArt, ConceprtArt.org, Elfwood, etc., they are very different from Weasyl in regards to what content can and does get uploaded (e.g. pornographic content).
    I don't think pornographic content is what drove the furry user-base here. It's not unique to the furry fandom. Rather the site's inception is responsible for that, and don't forget the timing of FurAffinity's fuck-ups. You're also mistaken if you think ConceptArt.org doesn't allow pornographic content. Although that's mostly restricted to sketchbook threads. But never you mind.

    DeviantArt is a fucking joke when it comes to enforcing it's mature content policies.
    Last edited by Kurk2288; 12-20-2015 at 12:44 AM.

  2. #22
    Junior IlexysCrowe's Avatar
    Weasyl
    IlexysCrowe
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Genderfluid
    Posts
    4
    Also a non-furry artist, but I stick around because:

    1) It's a place to show my art and advertise commissions in a way I've never been able to do on other sites
    2) I discover non-furry and furry artists alike with skills that I can appreciate
    3) I know what to put in the search bar if I'm not interested in looking at furry art
    4) GOTTA REPRESENT!

    And I also have my work on at least three other platforms, but this is one of the few where I can post adult works without admins rejecting artwork due to their personal preference for 'quality' (aka, it doesn't get them up) or outright banning me for posting adult art at all.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    I don't think pornographic content is what drove the furry user-base here.
    I wish that was true. The staff have said that not allowing porn would have destroyed the site, pointing at sites like Yerf and ArtSpots as examples.

    I'm still interested in what Sayum's long-term goals are. Understandably people want as many artists as possible in the community, but I strongly believe in understanding what someone's goals are first before giving advice. Sayum, please let us know what your long-term goals are as an artist. It'll help us better address what your core concerns are and so our agendas won't be the source of our advice. Also, I'm another non-furry representing, so I think there's enough of us non-furs to give you some perspective and feedback. But again, we'd like to know where you are coming from to give you informed advice.

  4. #24
    Junior MugenUmiYume's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Just being honest. We've always been a general art site, but there's currently no denying that furries seem to use the site more than anyone else. That said, I do still run across non-furry galleries, and furries are also comfortable posting their own non-furry artwork here.
    First let me say I'm trying to be constructively critical here without animosity or insults. So I hope it comes off that way.

    This site's design is superior to the other two I considered. It's clean, minimalist and focuses on the art and promotes discovery. Like any site there are things that need addressed. The others are dominated by wasted space in fixed or scrolling columns or large headers that almost seem to emphasize the site and it creators and put the art second.

    However, I wonder if the small community of non-furry artist stand much of a chance of creating diversity on their own anytime soon, if ever. I refused to create an account here for months because of what I saw on the front page every time I came here. How many others must have done and are still doing the same thing?

    I'll say it again, I've nothing against furry artist. But you reiterate that this is a general art site. The About Weasyl page states this as well. Artist of all genres who are disillusioned and looking for an alternative need to be able to find a home where they feel comfortable. A place to to create a strong community to be a part of. This could be that place.

    I'm not in marketing but I submit this for consideration; there must be a way for you to proactively promote the site to draw in diversity without alienating your existing user base. I have no idea what you plan for your business model, but surely this is something you need in order for your users and yourself to be successful.

  5. #25
    Regular GreenReaper's Avatar
    Weasyl
    GreenReaper
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    34
    Weasyl was made by the furs, and the furs keep it. Weasyl's software could drive almost any art community. But Weasyl.com serves a largely furry community, and probably always will without deliberate, disruptive effort to change that community. For some this is important; for others, it is not.

    ArtSpots and Yerf were not destroyed by a lack of porn, though it certainly impacted their popularity. Their demise stemmed from deliberate acts and negligence, respectively. Their departure left a gap that's still there. But it is unlikely to be filled by Weasyl.com, even though it could be filled using Weasyl's code - or Inkbunny's, or SoFurry's - because, again, that would be a different community, with different policies, etc.

    Specialization is not a bad thing - indeed, a small, focused community can be stronger than a larger one. Many artists wish to spend time with others doing similar work, while visitors are often looking for a specific theme. This can often overcome other hurdles to adoption, such as the network effect of large communities.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 12-20-2015 at 12:37 PM.

  6. #26
    There's been a lot of discussion on that here. I think the concern people have with the site is that there are a few things people wanted Weasyl to be and it was unofficially advertised as such by word of mouth. It's not been clear if Weasyl is supposed to be A) FurAffinity 2.0, a furry art site with a competent staff, B) DeviantArt 2.0, a general art site but also hosts porn, or C) a furry-friendly general art site with a lot of non-furry artists to mingle with. The impression I'm getting is that Weasyl is trying to be B but it looks like A, and C is not possible because both A and B are mutually exclusive with C.

  7. #27
    Senior Kurk2288's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsys View Post
    I wish that was true. The staff have said that not allowing porn would have destroyed the site, pointing at sites like Yerf and ArtSpots as examples.
    If I recall in an older thread, you said don't agree with that statement? Granted there's flaws and problems in allowing pornography, but I don't think it's that big of an issue. Also NOT allowing porn wouldn't destroy Weasyl. Removing it would cause a lot of controversy and backlash- because it's already allowed.

    Btw, try private messaging Sayum or checking out their profile.

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Weasyl was made by the furs, and the furs keep it. Weasyl's software could drive almost any art community. But Weasyl.com serves a largely furry community, and probably always will without deliberate, disruptive effort. For some this is important; for others, it is not.

    ArtSpots and Yerf were not destroyed by a lack of porn, though it certainly impacted their popularity. Their demise stemmed from deliberate acts and negligence of their maintainers. Their departure left a gap that's still there. But it is unlikely to be filled by Weasyl.com - even though it could be filled using Weasyl's code (or Inkbunny's, or SoFurry's) - because, again, that would be a different community.
    Thanks for chiming in, and appreciate the links GR.

    I don't think having a large furry community is the issue for most people. Rather little has been done to reach out to a general audience and address concerns. Particularly when it comes Furry users treating this place like FA 2.0 and just assuming everyone is in their sub-culture.

    Anyways, I hope Sayum doesn't mind the off-topic back and fourth.
    Me, Metsys and others are waiting to hear your response.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Weasyl's software could drive almost any art community.... Specialization is not a bad thing - indeed, a small, focused community can be stronger than a larger one. Many artists wish to spend time with others doing similar work, while visitors are often looking for a specific theme. This can often overcome other hurdles to adoption, such as the network effect of large communities.
    I didn't want to be the one to take the thread in that direction, but yes, that is precisely what I was thinking. If you say you want a general art site you'll be at the mercy of whichever community fills its halls first. To be anything more than what Weasyl is now would require a reboot, so just spin up a new site with new branding using the same code. But you need to be specific about the community you want, the type of artists you want, and then do a lot of research and pay very close attention to where the overlap is and where it isn't.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    If I recall in an older thread, you said don't agree with that statement?
    I'm repeating what the staff has said about the issue, and yes, as you said they can't not allow it now because Weasyl already hosts it. But I think the reason why it is allowed is because it's the status quo in the furry fandom, and the non-popularity of Yerf and ArtSpots is what the staff pointed to as a result of failed sites that didn't allow it.

    Do I agree with the staff?† No, I absolutely do not. A safe-for-work furry-centric art site is something that people are starving for and can be very successful if the mission of the site is well-stated and executed on. I'm still surprised that nothing has filled that power vacuum yet, which sucks because it's communicating to the rest of the art world what the furry fandom's values are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    Granted there's flaws and problems in allowing pornography, but I don't think it's that big of an issue.
    It is if you are a working illustrator.
    _________________

    † Specifically the one staff member who said it. I don't know if the rest of the staff's opinions align with their statements, but I don't recall the staff saying otherwise. If a staff member says what the site can and can't do, I would assume that they are speaking as an authority for and on behalf of the site.

  9. #29
    Senior Kurk2288's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    Posts
    190
    I understand your concerns, was speaking more in terms of the site and community.
    Also coming from a different background, not entirely familiar with the furry fandom.

    If you'd like to discuss this further, feel free to hit me up in PM or create a new thread.

  10. #30
    Junior MugenUmiYume's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Weasyl was made by the furs, and the furs keep it. Weasyl's software could drive almost any art community. But Weasyl.com serves a largely furry community, and probably always will without deliberate, disruptive effort to change that community. For some this is important; for others, it is not.
    I give you this from About Weasyl: https://www.weasyl.com/help/about

    What is Weasyl?

    Weasyl is a social gallery website designed for artists, writers, musicians, and more to share their work with other artists and fans. We seek to bring the creative world together in one easy to use, friendly, community website.

    Nowhere does it say Weasyl is designed to be a specialized community for furries.

    From Frank LeRenard:

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Just being honest. We've always been a general art site ...snip, you know the rest...
    Other people in this thread have asked non-furry artist to stay and be an be active. I honestly cant tell from your post If you truly believe this site should remain a furry specialization rather than opening its arms to the disillusioned from sites like dA.

    If you do desire this and your contemporaries are mostly in agreement then I will acquiesce to your combined desires and leave you in peace with no hard feelings as I have nothing against you.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •