Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    sayum

Not a furry artist...I feel so alone here.

I love Weasyl's set up. I think its on the right road to being my top pick for an art site in terms of how it works and looks. At the same time I feel kind of isolated not being a furry even though Weasyl is not strictly furry only. It feels like a lot of people assume people on the forums are furrs. Not everyone, obviously, but just browsing through the forums every once in a while I see the assumption pretty often.

I am struggling to find the motivation to post, discouraged about being discarded for not having the right kind of content for the majority of the community. Is it silly to stay? Hanging out somewhere where the majority's interests align but not with your own?

I am looking for opinions and advice.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Stay. As questionable the staff is, the site is solid and they're always developing slick new features. The perceived furness won't ever go away unless artists like you stay and stake a claim. As long as Weasyl promotes itself as an all inclusive art site there's reason to fight for it.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

I feel pretty much exactly the same way, and I am a furry. I try to force myself to draw something every day, even if it's just the start of a rough sketch. I post anything I think is half decent. But activity here is slow. I compel myself to keep at it though because I want to put my work in as many places as I can so as many eyes can see it as possible. Don't put all your eggs in one basket but at the same time, don't give up on this site. It gets a bit of a boost in traffic every so often, usually when people are in doubt about FurAffinity, and it's not like none of those guys don't care about non-furry art, they just tend to get their fix elsewhere, like DeviantArt, but people have their issues with that site too. If this site can last long enough it does have the potential to bring a lot of people from both camps together. Just remember, a lot more people are viewing the forums and the site than it might look like, but activity is slow because a lot of them have the same perception you do. They'll come out of the woodwork when they see a reason to and the more people contribute and make their voices heard the more reason they'll have.

Weasyl
    N/A
    No, you're not alone. I'm not furry, and I'm not an artist. I'm a writer, presently writing Chapter Six of a book I started writing two weeks ago. So, stick around, get comfy... just keep your feet off the coffee table, and we're good. Heh.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    this site is still alive somehow.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    Menageriecat
    TBH I purposefully seek out non furry artists on the site, because:

1. it's a breath of fresh air
    2. they don't get the same level of attention

I absolutely adore artwork in it's many forms, and I love, love, love seeing non furry stuff here. It helps build up a larger pool of work to see. I adore seeing the jewelry crafters, the ceramicists, the abstract artists, photographers, musicians, writers.. I love the diversity of it all.

Weasyl
    Agitoho
    The easiest thing to do is actively seek out non furry artists. They're around, you just got to find them. Follow them, encourage them to post and people outside will see that and join accordingly. I have to do the same because there's so much digital art, the traditional stuff tends to get buried. I follow those artists, comment on their stuff. I show support. A little can go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    this site is still alive somehow.
    I know, right? It's there, but it's just... there. Wonder if FurNation going offline for what looks like the absolute last time will drive anyone this way. Actually I wonder how many people were even still using the site by then.

Weasyl
    Levi
    I think you should stay. You are welcome here.

This site has wound up with a large number of furry participants (I am one of them, so I won't comment on that as either a good or bad thing). But that is not what the site is intended to be. Ideally, it would be broader. So help broaden it! Help make things a little more diverse than they are currently.
    Personal Blog | WagzTail Podcast
    Much thanks to Kalika for the avatar

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Weasyl
    MLR
    By all means, we'd love to have you stick around. And bring all of your friends. Weasyl is still technically a general art site, and hence open to everyone. You might call the current furry majority a twist of fate, by which really I mean it doesn't have to be that way forever.