Weasyl
    JayOtt

3D character models; would you commission?

Hi all!

Still fairly new to the whole 3D modelling thing, but I've been at it a year or so now!
    I don't see a lot of demand for it, but would there an interest if I were to open for commissions for 3D character models?

I'm unsure if my stuff is of desirable quality yet... but can offer images ( examples in my profile ) and fully rotatable 3D models as seen here:

https://sketchfab.com/models/07bc1d3...cf4f94e998b384
    https://sketchfab.com/models/64156d4...5855a6fb25e057

...which would be useful as unique reference pics I suppose?

There's scope for having them 3D printed, and I guess if you were into game mods you could convert one of these into Second Life / Gmod / L4D / etc player models too?

They can take a up to couple of months to make, depending on detail; if you wanted textured or flat colour, clothing, props, etc.

What do you think? Would you want one? ¶3
    Weasyl (3D stuff): BEEP
    Furaffinity (3D/trad/vector): BOOP
    deviantArt (3D and vector art): BLIP
    Justin.tv when streaming 3D work: BZZT

Weasyl
    BerryBubbleBlast
    Personally I'm unsure whether a model in itself would be something I'd want to buy. Granted I'm not into Second Life or such games so it's rather limiting what I could use them for otherwise. Although I'm working on becoming a 3D-modeller and animator myself so there's always that I could use them for. Apart from this, there's the risk I won't be able to do anything with a 3D-model without having any knowledge of how to use them.

Alternatively what you could do is to model characters and place them in a scene, kinda like what artists generally do when they make digital art. Of course this'll probably be much harder than just the model itself, yet it might be more appealing. That way people can request a scene while knowing you're able to realize it for them.

Another thing you could do as well is to try and offer animations with certain models. Granted this is a rather big leap from just modeling a character to making them move around in a good way. But this would certainly invite a bigger audience and even more possibilities compared to what a simple scene can offer, and even more so compared to a lone model.

I'm sorry if this maybe wasn't what you was hoping to hear, but I tried to think of ways how you might be able to become more commissionable in case that models alone doesn't interest people enough. Some day I might consider commission a model from someone, but right now I'd rather create the models myself.

That said, I would love to hear how you proceed with this and see what you create in the future.
    "An artist who canít take constructive critique on their work is only hurting themselves and their potential.
    Conversely, and artist that canít communicate a critique in a constructive way isnít helping anybody."
    "It's perfectly fine to draw things any way you want. However you should always ask yourself; is it believable?"
    "You must be allowed to be a bit weird sometimes. Otherwise you're not normal."

If you're going to try making models for games, your models are going to need a SUBSTANTIALLY lower polycount. 500k triangles is way too high. I would probably shoot for 10k at the highest. Some other people might go for a little over that, depending on the detail.

I would suggest learning how to decompile existing models for games and looking at them in your modeling program. For example, I started modeling in Team Fortress 2.

MrFox
    Its almost impossible for my antique computer to view it, but I 3D model might be interesting.

How much would you ask for one ?

Weasyl
    FibS
    3D is a talent in high demand. However, it is also very expensive and not very many people in the amateur community will be able to make use of it. Your clientele will be limited accordingly.

If you were offering complete 3D animations in a standard video format (mp4, flv, webm) then you'd have a much wider market.

If you're working on Second Life avatars, well for one good luck because that is a headache and a half, and secondly you may want to create bases + clothing templates and sell them through SL itself.