Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Weasyl
    BerryBubbleBlast
    Basic cartoony walk cycle

The interactive version can be found here: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/12...e-3d-animation

So last week as I was working through my book Character Animation Fundamentals it gave me the task to create a walk cycle from any of the examples it had listed. Since I'm still learning, I decided to create a basic one using the same character as before. Once again the book tasked me to create a 2D-animation on paper first before attempting it in 3D, which I feel did help me to get a good step-by-step understanding of the different positions the body will be in at each moment. The book also helped me to understand how the elbows and hips rotate along with each step, which I've hopefully managed to implement believably in the animation above.

Creating just the cycle in itself wasn't hard at all really; just place each body part in the right position every few frames and let them loop. Now, the actual difficulty with this was to make sure said cycle actually moves as it's supposed to and not look like a stiff robot. The absolute most time spent on this animation is on just this subject, with adjusting each body part to be more alive and then adjusting it some more to make it even better. Granted I should mention I've intentionally made the movement slightly exaggerated due to the "principle" that the more realistic I try to create something, the harder it'll be to move in a believabel manner. Because you'll be comparing it to real life, it's going to be hard for me to replicate it believably. If I then instead use a simple model which is nowhere near 100% realistic, viewers tend to be more forgiving if the animation doesn't look exactly as in real life.

Feedback and critique

Now, how might you be able to help me with this? How to actually animate might be a bit too much to ask of you. However, as I've been working on this for several hours, I might've become blind to what looks believable and what isn't. Thus I'd appreciate if you could give me feedback on whether the walk cycle look believable or not, or if there's any specific part which just looks wierd. You don't need to include any solution to the issue you see as I'll make sure to find it myself, so you only need to mention about it and we'll take it from there.

Other thoughts; book reading

I've been reading a lot of books the last two months and thought I'd share a few for anyone else who might be interested in them as well. They're mostly about being more creative, productive, effective, and of how we humans think; of what we believe we want and what we actually want in reality.

The War of Art; Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles

This book takes a great and simplified approach to the term "Resistance", which in short is what makes us not do things we actually want to do (i.e. procastination). The thing is there's never only one reason to why "Resistance" appears, and thus the book goes through a large number of them in order to let you have a good understanding of why they happen. The book then also adds on this subject by telling how you can fight your Resistance, and then advance beyond it.

An easy to read book I'd recommend to those who really wish to fight their procastination.

The Willpower Instinct; How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It

If The War of Art generalizes the term "Resistance", then The Willpower Instinct widens your perspective by talking about how your brain actually works. Not only does it explain how you "work", but it also gives examples and tasks you can challenge yourself with in case you can relate more strongly to any particular subject. However be prepared it might change your view of how much control you thought you actually have over your actions, and how much influence "others" have over you as well.

More in depth than the previous book, yet still a great read to those who wish take their procastination and self-control a step further.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    "An artist who canít take constructive critique on their work is only hurting themselves and their potential.
    Conversely, and artist that canít communicate a critique in a constructive way isnít helping anybody."
    "It's perfectly fine to draw things any way you want. However you should always ask yourself; is it believable?"
    "You must be allowed to be a bit weird sometimes. Otherwise you're not normal."

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #12
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    I thought about it for a while and I can't really put a finger on it really well, but if I had to choose whatever part of this animation was the weakest I'd have to say the arms. I know they're supposed to be exaggerated but I don't feel they "match" the general feel of how the rest of the body is moving. it's a bit too swingy maybe? I dunno.

Weasyl
    BerryBubbleBlast
    Hmm I guess that might be due to the arms swinging at the same pace across the whole animation, while it really should slow down to a stop at each side like a pendelum does. Or like normal arms for that matter.

Another point might be the fact that the arms are slightly longer than they should be (a modeling mistake on my part) and thus might make it look a bit off. That in combination with the exaggerated swings could make them feel too out of place. Though this is obviously what I think might be the issue. Feel free to give your take on this whether this match what you feel or not. Not just Noxid, but anyone else for that matter.

Nevertheless I'll see what I can do about this for future animations. Thanks for your input Noxid!
    "An artist who canít take constructive critique on their work is only hurting themselves and their potential.
    Conversely, and artist that canít communicate a critique in a constructive way isnít helping anybody."
    "It's perfectly fine to draw things any way you want. However you should always ask yourself; is it believable?"

Weasyl
    BerryBubbleBlast
    Pace And Mood 3D-animation

The interactive version can be found here: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/13...d-3d-animation

So, I've been working on this animation for a while. The task I had this time was to animate a character varying both its pace and its mood as the animation progressed. The difficulty I had here was to get a good pacing across the whole animation, which still really isn't quite perfect yet. But that's the reason why you practice, right? Anyway, making sure every actions fit together in a ful sequence is was quite the challenge; you first have to make the basic action, and then find a way for them to fluently flow into the next without it looking wierd. The sign reading could obviously need some more work in this aspect.

Apart from that I just had to refine every action to look believable across the whole 19.2 seconds of animations, which took a lot of time. I already knew animations are time consuming, yet this once again proves how much effort is required create something great. I estimate this took about 25 hours to create, whereas 5 hours of them were for writing a log book of how far I've progressed after each session; what I accomplished, difficulties, thoughts, ideas, and such. I should mention each session was 1 hour long as I worked on this, due to time constraints.

What's next?

With this animation finally finished I'll start on my next project ... which I haven't really decided upon yet. I could continue animating my blocky character in a new scene, or I could animate a different character like my wyvern instead. Alternatively I could try to finish my Iksar or Skink models I have so I could animate them as well. Or just practice some more sketching instead as I've been neglecting it in favour of actually animating things the last few months. I'll have to think about it some more before I decide.

On a side note, I should mention I've managed to get enrolled into a 3D-animation course this Autumn, so I'll be working hard with animations (and many other things which are also important) for the next three years. I'm really looking forward to what I can learn during this time.

wow...! there's so much going on here with what you've posted! you have a real grasp of animation properties and i'm so stunned you've got so much actual 3d animating going on! i need to look back and really draft a critique thats worthwhile. but it's so nice to see animators on Weasyl!

Hello friends, I love this very interesting content. 3D animation is a complex process, although it leads to the previous realization of other processes such as the design and modeling of the image to be animated. that is to say that it consists of the deformation or movement of the objects of any 3D model in the particular enchantment and I see with much perspective the Iksar 3D female model.