Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale

Dear illustrators and other digital artists!

Ive a question.

Do any of you use any of the Surface Pro tablets to draw on? If so, how is it?

Im asking because Id like to expand my creative tools and try new styles and things and am considering moving away from having to use a desktop to render.

Id rather make tiny fractals in Apo, map on them and then draw my fractals and abstract pieces in PS or Illustrator. Plus I want to get back into drawing again; I miss it dearly.

Or would it be better if I simply got a powerful laptop and then a seperate wacom tablet to doodle on?

Weasyl
    sushy
    I do not use Surface Pro tablets, I have a Wacom Intuos5 touch. I am not sure if the Surface Pro is suitable for drawing?
    Personally I would go for the laptop with seperate wacom tablet but I guess that is also because I am used to that kind of set-up.

It really is a lifestyle choice.

I've heard great things about the Surface Pro as far as it being a much cheaper alternative to the Cintiq Companion. I'm not sure which version of the Surface Pro you want to get so that you won't have lag when using Adobe products, but you will want to consider performance when choosing which version to get.

I will say that a keyboard is kind of essential for Illustrator, and without express keys a keyboard is kind of necessary for Photoshop as well. So if you have the tablet in the drawing position you'll want a wireless keyboard next to it. I remember hearing someone needing a wireless mouse for Illustrator as well because it was too hard to select and move the bezier curve handles with the stylus. I don't seem to have a problem with that on my drawing screens though, but a 27" Cintiq is probably not a good comparison. For all I know the accuracy on the Surface Pro might be a little wobbly.

But back to it being a lifestyle choice, and the fact that I have much, much better equipment and a more ergonomical setup at my home office. If I'm out of my home studio all I carry with me is a laptop for writing, and a sketchbook for actual drawing. If you have to be out of the house to get work done, then I totally get it.

If you are just doing fractals then an Intous might work, but then you'll probably want to pay $800 for a laptop, $200 for an Intous, so that starts to put you into the higher end of a Surface Pro (or Pro 4) anyway.

I've heard so many great things about the Surface Pro though, it being the best device for artists.

Hello! This is the first time I hear about the Surface Pro, and I've never worked on fractals, so I don't really know which device is the best for it. However, I'll talk about my experience on devices, just to let you know my personal opinion. When I started college (art) everybody told me that I would need a macbook, because it was created for creatives. I trusted them.. and it was a big mistake lol. After some years of coping with slow programmes, extraordinary heat and buying an extra charger and a battery (Yes, I wasn't very lucky with my computer...), I decided to buy a new one. I've been using a simple wacom tablet all the time, a graphire 4 (the old bamboo) and while I was using a slow computer, I thought I was the problem and I didn't really improve, so I was a bit upset with myself. My surprise came when I canged it. I was expecting to just have a faster computer, so I could start working right away and not waiting for 20 minutes to turn on and open a program, but what I really got was fluency while drawing. That's why I think that having a great device to draw is important, but if you already have an old computer and you only change the graphic tablet, for example, it won't really make a difference.

But again, I have no idea about Surface Pro

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Tailfun, I wouldn't really be making any huge fractals like I do now, so I don't need a powerful beast like what I have now.

I'm staying away from Apple products, hehe.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Still leaning towards getting a Surface Pro 4.