Sketch/Art Book Project

Sketch/Art Book Project
    Hey Weasyls! My art partner and I are thinking about creating an art book that includes concept art, sketches and finished work with black and white and full color pages. This book would include a mix of both my art and my partners and the subject matter would be general, including “anime style” characters, anthros, demons and creatures, dragons and more. In the future we would like to create a concept art book for the graphic novel that we are working on as well, so this project would be a sort of test run.

But we are questioning weather or not the time and money it will require will be worth it. Neither of us have very large followings, (I have about 180 watchers on Deviantart) and less on other art websites. We are college students and only work freelance.

So I guess we a re asking you how popular do you have to be in order to pull off this sort of thing and more importantly, what would you like to see/have in an art book? Descriptions, themes, minimal words ect…

What are your goals for this? Are you planning on making money off of it? Using it as a test run for learning InDesign? Is the artwork already done or will you be creating artwork specifically for it?

We do want to make the book with the intention of selling it online, or selling an e-version of it. It would also be good to send to potential employers as a portfolio. We are thinking of using InDesign which we haven't used before so yes it would be a sort if test run with sketches and artworks already made. Certainly some artworks in the book, including the cover and back will be made specifically for the book.

Oh, I was also going to ask how many pages it is.

Artists like Chris Sanders and Stephen Silver do pretty well selling art books. Chris Sanders has several volumes out and I have some friends who collect them. They are some of the best character designers out there. People purchase their books for inspiration and to study. The problem with books by intermediate artists is that there's not a whole lot to study because they are not masters at their craft yet. If you have fans, or the work you are doing is tied to a story that has fans, then you'll have a better shot at making money with art books.

I wouldn't commit to an art book to make money off of it, but definitely do it for the experience of creating a book, a sequential design piece, and to have a project to kick your butt into gear. Maybe get a few books printed on demand to have with you because books do make good portfolio pieces. However in the real world I've found that most clients just ask, "What's your DeviantArt page?" or "Where's your online gallery?" It's better suited for conventions to show off. For portfolios to studios, they just don't want to deal with receiving and shipping portfolios back to you, and the portfolios they do want would be much shorter than an artbook, only have your work, and you'll often want to have it tailor made for the studio.

But again, definitely do it for the experience and to have a project to work on. And definitely do it for fun. Just make sure you have the right expectations of the project and why you want to do it.

If you want to have something printed really cheap you can go the ashcan route. Get a inkjet printer, export a paginated brochure out of InDesign with Letter-sized spreads and you can create a small 8.5×5.5 saddle stitched (stapled) ashcan art book, produced by you for almost nothing. (I have a long reach stapler for things like this, also works for Tabloid-sized spreads, but works just as well on the smaller stuff. A standard stapler might have the reach necessary for that.) You see these all the time at CTNx. So that's another route.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapdash View Post
    My art partner and I are thinking about creating an art book that includes concept art, sketches and finished work with black and white and full color pages. This book would include a mix of both my art and my partners and the subject matter would be general, including “anime style” characters, anthros, demons and creatures, dragons and more. In the future we would like to create a concept art book for the graphic novel that we are working on as well, so this project would be a sort of test run.
    There are a variety of print on demand services available to you to consider when you're ready to publish. Lulu.com, cafepress.com and more, just do a search using the terms "print on demand" to find them. Some give you the option of buying in bulk to sell yourself, or sell direct to buyer.

But we are questioning whether or not the time and money it will require will be worth it. Neither of us have very large followings, (I have about 180 watchers on Deviantart) and less on other art websites. We are college students and only work freelance.
    An audience tends to grow like all things, with diligence, determination and nurturing. If you doubt you have the time, then wait until the semester is over. If you doubt you have the money, than use a print on demand service. If you doubt that it'll be worth it, then this exchange would require we all encourage you to seriously evaluate whether you should continue picking up those drawing tools and making more illustrations.

So I guess we are asking you how popular do you have to be in order to pull off this sort of thing and more importantly, what would you like to see/have in an art book? Descriptions, themes, minimal words ect…
    Popularity will come with time and follow-through. Maybe Jib Zub's tutorials could offer you up some useful information on the how end of things. Don't hesitate to ask artists you follow directly questions on these matters. Past has taught me that many are willing to offer some input if they're experienced enough to do so.
    "If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril." ~ Sun Tzu