Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RF in Trouble

Oklacon is gone. According to their web site the staff has disbanded.

http://oklacon.com

http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Oklacon

There are three truths to every man. How he see's himself. How other's see him. And how he really is. Why listen to what other's think of you? Their not even half right.

Weasyl
    Viciviser
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    That's another good point. Word of mouth unfortunately often never travels far enough to do much for the reputation of anyone or anything, unless it's negative. We'd never hear about how great a convention went and now every hotel in the state/country knows of this great con and wants to host it. But bad news and bad reputation spreads like wildfire, especially when real, hard money is on the line. Property is money. You fuck with a man's property, you fuck with his money, and if you fuck with his money you ought to consider yourself lucky he just bans you from his place and doesn't lynch you on his front lawn. Furries will never be lynched but they will sure as fuck be ostracized to hell and back, and it would not be even close to the first convention that met such a fate.
    You're right in many ways but that's not completely true. Again, I can only speak for the convention I've been to, Furry Fiesta in Dallas. But they had a change of venue a while back simply from growing too much to handle the amount of con-goers at Crown Plaza's convention center. Not only did the Intercontinental take up our convention (and seemingly eagerly so), but there are two other hotels: The Raddison and the Courtyard Marriott that give discounts for convention-goers should the Intercontinental be booked. So there seems to be a good amount of trust built up for our convention.

That being said a major issue, as what is seen with Oklacon's struggles before they were disbanded, is that it literally only takes a few bad con-goers to ruin the reputation and long-standing trust that is built up by everyone else who behaves themselves and has a good time. Of course, they had the issue of the park rangers having animosity to the furry community to deal with as well... so it's as if they needed any excuse to ban the furry community from gathering on OK park properties.

Okay I'm sorry but I have to slam the brake on this shit and derail the thread. Who the hell names anything Roman Nose? Are you fucking mental? Why not just name the park Christ Killers Quarry or some shit like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    Okay I'm sorry but I have to slam the brake on this shit and derail the thread. Who the hell names anything Roman Nose? Are you fucking mental? Why not just name the park Christ Killers Quarry or some shit like that?
    It's named after the Southern Cheyenne chief of the same name...

Weasyl
    Dvir
    Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    Also worth noting - I meant to in my first post but forgot - but it was apparently an Oklacon attendee who called the new park ground in the first place.
    Wait, so an Attendee took it on themselves to Hammer the last nail into the coffin of the Con Intentionally?

I know there's more drama in the fandom than there's been on TV in the lat 50 years combined. However someone in the fandom calling the other park is hard to believe. More than likely the other park got it from the first park. Parks are like any other public place. Including hotels. They talk to each other. Or just as easily get news from the web concerning their trade. That's how campers can get black flagged for being disruptive at all campgrounds. Or people from hotels.

Heart hurt for those who put Oklacon on year after year. To have it end because of something they had no control over. And to the furries who enjoyed that event year after year. Hoping RF finds a new venue. And they blacklist the furries responsible for the damage.

There are three truths to every man. How he see's himself. How other's see him. And how he really is. Why listen to what other's think of you? Their not even half right.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    It's named after the Southern Cheyenne chief of the same name...
    I'm sure he gave himself that name, too... I know a lot of natives do basically have Roman noses but come on, that's still kinda racist. It's like being named Chief Eaglebeak or something. Actually Eaglebeak is probably better because the only guy I could see contesting that title is Stephen Colbert when he was still The Colbert Report and that's alright because he'd only do that because he feels more worthy of the title and actually has a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cause the Rat View Post
    I know there's more drama in the fandom than there's been on TV in the lat 50 years combined. However someone in the fandom calling the other park is hard to believe. More than likely the other park got it from the first park. Parks are like any other public place. Including hotels. They talk to each other. Or just as easily get news from the web concerning their trade. That's how campers can get black flagged for being disruptive at all campgrounds. Or people from hotels.

Heart hurt for those who put Oklacon on year after year. To have it end because of something they had no control over. And to the furries who enjoyed that event year after year. Hoping RF finds a new venue. And they blacklist the furries responsible for the damage.
    I could see a convention goer contacting another prospective hotel to warn them if they were that upset by what they saw (or may have been a victim of, don't forget that possibility) a previous year, but I also don't see that same hotel just taking them at their word either so yeah, they'd inevitably do their own "investigating" like you describe before making a decision. But if you think about it the entire internet squeals a lot louder and in more detail than one guy ever could when these nightmares unfold. It's a lot of people's first time ever encountering that kind of debauchery and it's no doubt a shock to the system or at least a massive kind of culture-shock. I don't put it past people to react just about any way to that - well, as long as it's not like Zombicon where someone literally shot a "zombie" but something tells me that wasn't because it was a zombie.

There are industry only websites and forums on the web. The company I work for has one. I can access it because I have the code. Just typing the name of the company I work for will not get you there.

Here's some cons you may not be aware of.

http://www.eventsinamerica.com/event.../#.ViVYoWA-BdA

http://www.eventsinamerica.com/event.../#.ViVY6WA-BdA

http://www.eventsinamerica.com/event.../#.ViVZNWA-BdA

Just a few. There are so many more. These people get together and talk. Every convention center that hosts a fur con at has already heard about Oklacon and Rainfurrest. Way more information than you or I will ever know. There are no secrets in that industry.

Weasyl
    Dvir
    Looks like RF is getting things sorted out.

https://www.rainfurrest.org/2016/ind...announcements/

Weasyl
    Dvir
    As most of you might know already RF is Dead.

I Stumbled across this today.

http://orrery.prismaticmedia.com/201...6-post-mortem/