Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Skylar_Husky

Found these weasyl forums thanks to Phoenix Cordivae forums, So here I am.

Greetings Skylar the Husky here.

these feel awkward, so I think I will just post what I have for profile information on my Weasyl account and go from there.

Name: Skylar
    Age: Old enough to be considered a grey muzzle by some...
    Sexual Orientation: Straight
    Relationship Status: Single and not seeking.
    Political Views: Don't ask; Staunch Conservatism
    Religious Views: Christian / Roman Catholic
    Occupation: Chemist / Surface Scientist / Rheological Scientist
    State: Texas. American by birth; Texan by the grace of God!
    I do have friends and they are in the fandom and outside of it. They all know who they are.
    Thank you for reading,
    Deus te benidicas
    Veritas et Aequitas
    Alles hat ein Ende nur die Würst hat zwei.

Hi and welcome to Weasyl

Weasyl
    Skylar_Husky
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

Weasyl
    Levi
    Hello, fellow (almost) Houston resident.
    Personal Blog | WagzTail Podcast
    Much thanks to Kalika for the avatar

Weasyl
    N/A
    Hi there!! I think i've seen you around... were you part of FAf when that was a thing?

Weasyl
    Skylar_Husky
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Hello, fellow (almost) Houston resident.
    Hello there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mei View Post
    Hi there!! I think i've seen you around... were you part of FAf when that was a thing?
    Yes, I was there but not terribly active until lately.

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    A conservative furry? Now that is something I didn't think would exist.

Hello there! Allow me to wish you a warm welcome!

Weasyl
    N/A
    What type of chemistry do you do?

Weasyl
    Skylar_Husky
    Okay, I am talking shop and it is science content ahead.

The stuff I did for chemistry was physical chemistry. The research group I was a part of in the first job I worked after university was involved in oilfield specialty chemicals. Basically they are chemicals which solve problems encountered in petroleum extraction and refining. If there is a problem with emulsions (tiny droplets of oil in an aqueous phase) or reverse emulsions (tiny droplets of water in an oil phase) we helped design chemicals to combat it. If there was a problem with scale buildup in the production tubing or other piping to bring the oil to the surface, we had chemicals to combat it. If there was problems with waxes and other solids no longer being soluble, we had chemicals to combat that. If there was issues with corrosion, we made chemicals to inhibit corrosion.
    It was the function of my research group to take the existing product line, compare its results in field testing and performance in real world applications with physical chemical properties such as the solubility in aqueous phases, oil phases, its surface activity, its molecular size and look at reaction kinetics of expanding and reducing the area interface between oil and water or air and water (called a surface, not an interface.)
    Using a device called a tensiometer, I tested and evaluated the surface tension properties of the chemicals. With another device called a Pendant drop/sessile drop drop shape analysis tool I used a very precise camera to look at drop shape and determine what the reaction kinetics were on the surface of that drop to see what the reactions with the surface was. Using something called Contact Angle Measurement, we were able to determine the ability of a chemical to wet a surface. Depending on the contact angle the droplet will bead up like water on an oily surface or be like a small puddle. That wetting determines an angle in concert with the surface we are looking at. Another instrument called an Interfacial tension rheometer examined the interaction of increasing and decreasing a drop volume and determining the shape of the drop as a function of how the chemicals will go to that surface and exit that surface. Some properties are like a rubber ball, others look like a plastic bag inflating and deflating.
    Finally when trying to determine the sixze of a molecule in an oil phase we tested the chemicals in a variety of solvents which were similar in structure but also still liquid at room temperature. With that we could determine Hildebrandt solubility parameters and using ubbelohde capillary viscometers and automated differential pressure viscomters, we could determine the size of the molecule and how it would change in the various solvents. This molecular size could be related to performance. Others were determining functional groups and how their position in a branched polymer would effect the performance in the field. For instance if we were polymerizing with epoxide, which is oxygen rich functional groups, how did the oxygen rich portion of the branches interact with the aqueuos and oil phases. Did it attach to the surface and act like a funnel, causing water droplets to collect and thus cuase the emulsion to break down and form two phases in a test tube or does another functional group do this?
    A rheometer was used to determine how elastic the molecules were, if they were like jello or if they were smooth like oil and determining that also told us how they would perform.

My second job was not so glamorous. I worked for a huge oil drilling company formulating, rationalizing, troubleshooting and creating Drilling fluid (or Drilling Mud), Completions Fluid, Packer Fluid and Heavy brine solutions. It was not as chemistry driven in the lab in which I worked, but it was interesting.

Weasyl
    N/A
    wow that sounds really interesting! I've been wanting to get more into organic chemistry lately. I've always loved scientific shit like that, science/biology were pretty much the only subjects I did good in when I was in school.