Thread: Hello Everyone!

Hello Everyone!

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to both Weasyl and the forums here. While I've had an account for quite awhile, I've never really gotten around to using it. I also have an account over on FA, but I'm honestly planning to be more active here. Currently, I'm waiting on an artist to finish up a reference sheet for a bovine OC that I've commissioned. Once that is done I plan on starting to actually commission art for her. I also have a little hobby of writing short stories to go along with the images I commission, and I'm currently in the process of writing up an actual canon story for this character and another one I'm waiting to have commissioned.

As for myself, I'm a 21 year old Computer Science major with a Trombone Performance minor. Some of my hobbies include PC gaming (Dark Souls I and II, Elite: Dangerous, and more), Magic: the Gathering, and amateur astronomy/astrophotography. I tend to consider myself a pretty open guy, so if you've got any questions feel free to ask.

Also, I'm very curious about getting started in art myself, as I have zero artistic talent but I'm interested in learning to draw mostly as a hobby. If you know of any good tutorials/resources that are out there, I'd love to hear about them!

Weasyl
    OphyOpheliac
    Hey, welcome Parapraxis!

Artist Refs is a pretty great resource for any artist in general.
    ✿✿ FurAffinity ✿✿ Tumblr ✿✿

Weasyl
    jedthedragon
    Hey there! Welcome to Weasyl! It seems we have a bit in common!
    I'm ready for roleplaying anytime! Just send me a PM in the main Weasyl site!

My profile pic was brought to me by Pandactyle on Weasyl!

Weasyl
    N/A
    Welcome to the site! ^u^ Heres a cookie

Weasyl
    Viciviser
    Welcome to Weasyl and its forums, Parachute Axis! I mean, Parapraxis! That's all very cool actually. It's nice you're a creative individual. I look forward to you stepping into the world of visual arts. Let alone the stories you have in mind for your characters.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Welcome to Weasyl!

My advice for getting into illustration is; draw lots and lots :v

Weasyl
    Pignog
    Welcome! Don't worry about "talent," like any other pursuit anyone can learn to draw. If you're looking at getting into art/illustration I'm a big fan of Andrew Loomis, and you can find his books in pdf form here: http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/. Start with "Fun with a Pencil" to get the ball rolling. It's full of exercises that really help and you'll be cartooning right off the bat.

But nothing beat practice. Seconding Hewge, draw lots and lots.

Weasyl
    Skylar_Husky
    Quote Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to both Weasyl and the forums here. While I've had an account for quite awhile, I've never really gotten around to using it. I also have an account over on FA, but I'm honestly planning to be more active here. Currently, I'm waiting on an artist to finish up a reference sheet for a bovine OC that I've commissioned. Once that is done I plan on starting to actually commission art for her. I also have a little hobby of writing short stories to go along with the images I commission, and I'm currently in the process of writing up an actual canon story for this character and another one I'm waiting to have commissioned.

As for myself, I'm a 21 year old Computer Science major with a Trombone Performance minor. Some of my hobbies include PC gaming (Dark Souls I and II, Elite: Dangerous, and more), Magic: the Gathering, and amateur astronomy/astrophotography. I tend to consider myself a pretty open guy, so if you've got any questions feel free to ask.

Also, I'm very curious about getting started in art myself, as I have zero artistic talent but I'm interested in learning to draw mostly as a hobby. If you know of any good tutorials/resources that are out there, I'd love to hear about them!
    Welcome to Weasyl forums.

Have you ever sketched before? You know, just "noodling" around with a pencil and paper to see if you could make a picture out of something, even if it began as just a straight line or something else that wasn't terribly interesting by itself?
    If the answer is yes, then you might be ready for an Intro to Drawing course in the Fine Arts building at your university or college. If your professor is good, some really truly are, especially if they are seniors in Art and trying to finish an art degree themselves. They will have the energy, skills and the ability to help you take the course, learn to sketch and draw, hone your skills and inspire you enough to give you confidence. I was a Chemistry major with a Fine Arts minor when I was in university, and I was worried about the live nude model drawing. You will snicker and blush a bit the first night, it is part of it, but you get over it. Anatomy and drawing human form was something which I had zero confidence with. This Introduction class was good for that. No one student in that class drew better than another and in the end we all got a great deal better. I learned more in that class than I did in freshman level chemistry!
    Last edited by Skylar_Husky; 10-19-2015 at 08:08 AM.