Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Weasyl Site Development

Weasyl Site Development

I have some experience with the LAMP stack and I was wondering if I could help the site out somehow, whether by adding features like tags or widgets and such, or by adding auditing functionality to the database for users, posts, statistics, etc and displaying them in meaningful ways. I like the idea of this site and would like to see it succeed to be a cut above the rest.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Quick question: What's your favorite programming language?

Well that depends a bit on the application, but for personal projects C# isn't all too bad. I'm familiar with PHP, Java, Javascript, MySQL, BASH, LUA, C++, (I'm really bad with C), and all the general web frontend stuff that everyone knows like HTML and CSS, etc. Not great with flash, but I doubt that would be required here.
    I'm trying to learn python and Ruby, still don't know perl....

Also I'm pretty familiar with PHPbb forums and stuff, or at least more so than simply owning or running one. I've gone in and added badge features that display good badges and stuff that can be awarded either manually or automatically to members, and wrote all the database stuff to play nicely with PHPbb's stuff. I need to spend some more time exploring how vBulletin is put together.

I'm going to stop there because text doesn't convey tone very well and I'm afraid I'm starting to sound like I'm tooting my own horn.

But yeah it would be really cool to contribute; I've seen some *REALLY BAD* problems that still exist on other sites (like this little gem):
    <input type="hidden" name="retard_protection" value="1">

... Which I suppose they think adds security from bots which is hilarious. (from FA, no less)

I'd like to prevent that kind of from happening here, and I'd like to see a site continue to introduce new features that help people browse their favorite art more seamlessly.
    Last edited by DivineFrog; 09-17-2012 at 12:55 AM.

At some point I would like to see the current state of the site just to get an idea of how it's laid out and maybe offer some suggestions in terms of prioritization. Do I need to donate for that?

By the way, I'm not really looking for any kind of admin privileges or to be a ferret or anything, I just want to see what I can do to help develop the site.

Weasyl
    oly
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineFrog View Post
    But yeah it would be really cool to contribute; I've seen some *REALLY BAD* problems that still exist on other sites (like this little gem):
    <input type="hidden" name="retard_protection" value="1">

... Which I suppose they think adds security from bots which is hilarious. (from FA, no less)
    Man, I knew the FA devs weren't exactly top league, but... shit man.

I'd also like to see about changing the header in the mobile view. It just says vBulletin and I'd really generic. Id like to put a Weasyl logo there and maybe try the site's color scheme to keep some visual cohesion/branding to the site and help give it an identity.

Am I posting in the wrong forum section or is there a better way I should go about offering assistance? I'm not sure exactly with whom I need to be speaking.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Weasyl
    Taw
    I'd also like to see about changing the header in the mobile view. It just says vBulletin and I'd really generic. Id like to put a Weasyl logo there and maybe try the site's color scheme to keep some visual cohesion/branding to the site and help give it an identity.
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineFrog
    Am I posting in the wrong forum section or is there a better way I should go about offering assistance? I'm not sure exactly with whom I need to be speaking.
    We're working on a few backend things for the forums before we're moving to work on the mobile side of things, so it'll be just a bit longer before we begin to overhault it to look like our current theme. We appreciate the offer for assistance on it though!

As for the mainsite coding, that is more of Aden and Kihari's area. I can try and direct them to this thread if you'd like.

That would be neat! Thanks! Also I apologize if this thread is mislocated.

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10

I'm trying to learn python
    I would recommend it! It is not the be-all end-all of languages, but it's easy to write and read, and modules exist for most anything you would ever want to do. All of Weasyl's application code is written in Python 2.

You mentioned an interest in helping out: we don't really have anything within your listed skillset at the moment, but down the road as we expand and whatnot it will be nice to know users in the community with technical skills (for reference, I do plan on sticking with Python for the foreseeable future) and who are willing to lend a hand.