Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    If anything, we do not want to do anything here that strengthens an "us vs. them" dichotomy. Instead of making grand declarations about not wanting to use this site, it would be much more helpful to us if you could articulate what you think we can do to make sure such a dichotomy is not perpetuated. I saw someone suggest that the universal tag be "bipedal" instead of anthro or furry. Does that sound agreeable to anyone, or does anyone have a different suggestion?
    Alright, I apologize for threatening no business as I'm being a bit more emotional at the moment, but you have to understand the frustration of joining a site with high hopes, and immediately being bombarded with threats and demands from a non-admin.

How about a mandatory checkbox near the tags that indicates whether or not the submission is furry/human/anime/etc that will add it to the tags?
    Last edited by MukiHyena; 10-19-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    Hopefully when the site goes public we'll have a system to make this easier, but yeah.
    Having suggestions on the page is a good idea. Also on the block and search pages. Having linked tags will be nice too.
    That would solve a lot of problems. The good thing is that these issues are being addressed in Beta. I think Muki's biggest issue is what they see as some 'random' person trying to nanny them then threaten to dime them to the admins/mods. Muki, correct me if I'm wrong. I agree with just telling the mods if it's a real issue and let -them- deal with it.

No one wants an art site Batman.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MukiHyena View Post
    How about a mandatory checkbox near the tags that indicates whether or not the submission is furry/human/anime/etc?
    That would work too. Good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    Just to point out, please don't threaten to report people the the mods. If it is worth reporting then report it, don't threaten people with reports.
    Alright, understood. I apologize for that.

How about a mandatory checkbox near the tags that indicates whether or not the submission is furry/human/anime/etc?
    I like it, not bad thinking.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #34

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    That would solve a lot of problems. The good thing is that these issues are being addressed in Beta. I think Muki's biggest issue is what they see as some 'random' person trying to nanny them then threaten to dime them to the admins/mods. Muki, correct me if I'm wrong. I agree with just telling the mods if it's a real issue and let -them- deal with it.

- - - Updated - - -

That would work too. Good suggestion.
    No, and I agree with that. I think that users should add the tags or report it to use. We note the artist in case they don't know that they can use things like the anthro tag.
    No user should ever be threatening to report someone. Either you do, or you don't.

Alright, I apologize for threatening no business as I'm being a bit more emotional at the moment, but you have to understand the frustration of joining a site, and immediately being bombarded with threats and demands from a non-admin.

How about a mandatory checkbox near the tags that indicates whether or not the submission is furry/human/anime/etc that will add it to the tags?
    This is a great idea thank you.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #35
    Weasyl
    Ben
    Having sub-sub categories based on content rating is something that's been proposed. The system will need to allow users to choose multiple categories though, since some things will fall into more than one.

Weasyl
    oly
    They're also the biggest art site on the internet. Also, completely missed my point that there is no lack of quality general art sites.

Talking books are anthro. A cat with a human face is anthro. The Brave Little Toaster is anthro. And what about furryxhuman stuff? People could search for human art and find some human chick getting pounded by a rottie or something because it has both in the tags.

You can't honestly expect users flocking in from FA to do that. This site has been marketed as easy to use and extremely user friendly, and I guarantee the biggest complaint people will be giving is the tagging system, because it will be far more of a pain in the ass to deal with than clicking "submit" with a few keywords on FA, which also searches through titles and descriptions.

Read above. Telling me specifically to tag my work won't account for however many people flock here.

No, you missed my point. Yeah it's the biggest art site, but it's also not what i or many people would call quality, because the mods and admins suck, art theft is rampant and there's a huge amount of stupid trolls and shitty art with no effort to it, along with 'artistic' nudes that are anything BUT artistic.
    You may notice if you look through this forum a bit a thread dedicated to discussing dissatisfations with DA, and if i recall there is an identical one on the FA forums even. And I've talked to quite a few people unrelated to either site, even people I know in real life, who are just as dissatisfied. So that argument holds no water; lots of people are jsut as fed up with DA as they are with FA.

Yes, those things are anthro, and should be tagged with anthro. If you draw scalies it should have scalies as well an anthro. if you draw talking avocados it should have anthro and fruit. This is a semantic that is pointless to argue, and hopefully there will eventually be implemented a related tagging feature that pops up other tags that might fit when you type one, so you can type anthro and get a bunch of possible related tags - scaly, avian, furry, whatever- and then when you select those get a bunch of other tags you might want to include, etc. etc. therefore making taging much easier. The staff have heard and acknowledged requests for such a feature, and it'll take time to implement, so until then we'd all do well to cooperated to tag shit as effectively as we can. edit: also i see now posts made while i was typing this, mentioning the suggestion of other possible tags like bipedal, or the mandatory check-boxes. I like the check-box idea. not so keen on bipedal personally although it may have some merit.

No, I don't expect every FA transplant to do that, which is the whole point of both the ferrets and users being able to tag. If someone refuses to tag their own shit because they're too lazy, viewers can do it; if they disable that ability it can be reported to a ferret/mod and they can do it.

Finally: ineffective wording on my part. what I meant and should have said was 'If everyone tags their work there is no damn problem.' And again, no I don't expect every single person to, that is why we have user-enabled tagging and ferrets and moderators, to help mitigate the people who don't read the rules closely enough or are just plain lazy.

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Having sub-sub categories based on content rating is something that's been proposed. The system will need to allow users to choose multiple categories though, since some things will fall into more than one.
    Yes but that 'one extra step' will prevent a mile of leg work for mods, admins, ect. Little tweaks like this is what well make Weasyl a quality site that everyone can enjoy....Except for Klingons. Fuck those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Precisely the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    No, you missed my point. Yeah it's the biggest art site, but it's also not what i or many people would call quality, because the mods and admins suck, art theft is rampant and there's a huge amount of stupid trolls and shitty art with no effort to it, along with 'artistic' nudes that are anything BUT artistic.
    You may notice if you look through this forum a bit a thread dedicated to discussing dissatisfations with DA, and if i recall there is an identical one on the FA forums even. And I've talked to quite a few people unrelated to either site, even people I know in real life, who are just as dissatisfied. So that argument holds no water; lots of people are jsut as fed up with DA as they are with FA.
    I'm sure we all can agree that DA is filled with a bunch of unnecessary crap, and I personally avoid that place like the plague. They do, however, appeal to the "General Art" demographic in the sense that they all sorts of art from pretty much anybody. Either way, DeviantArt was probably a bad example, how about ConceptArt.org? HentaiFoundry? The point I'm trying to get across is there are tons of feature-rich sites out there that appeal to the demographic of non-furry art. As far as furry art goes, however, not so much. Which is why most users are still over at FA.

Yes, those things are anthro, and should be tagged with anthro. If you draw scalies it should have scalies as well an anthro. if you draw talking avocados it should have anthro and fruit. This is a semantic that is pointless to argue, and hopefully there will eventually be implemented a related tagging feature that pops up other tags that might fit when you type one, so you can type anthro and get a bunch of possible related tags - scaly, avian, furry, whatever- and then when you select those get a bunch of other tags you might want to include, etc. etc. therefore making taging much easier. The staff have heard and acknowledged requests for such a feature, and it'll take time to implement, so until then we'd all do well to cooperated to tag shit as effectively as we can.
    The sooner, the better. Being harassed over tags is absolutely obnoxious and when the site goes live, will be an issue that will need to be resolved, because as it is right now this will be a huge problem. People get buttmad very easily if they see something on the internet their little minds can't handle.

No, I don't expect every FA transplant to do that, which is the whole point of both the ferrets and users being able to tag. If someone refuses to tag their own shit because they're too lazy, viewers can do it; if they disable that ability it can be reported to a ferret/mod and they can do it.
    Exactly! As I said before, I made sure the tags on the works I submitted are as flexible as possible, ticking off any restraints on my tag options, as the site allows users to add and remove them as they see fit. Which is why I found it extremely obnoxious for someone to come in and try to tell me how to manage my submission tags and then threaten me for not complying with their demands, when the system is so flexible.

Finally: ineffective wording on my part. what I meant and should have said was 'If everyone tags their work there is no damn problem.' And again, no I don't expect every single person to, that is why we have user-enabled tagging and ferrets and moderators, to help mitigate the people who don't read the rules closely enough or are just plain lazy.
    Or the people like me who hear of this great new FA alternative that was shown at Anthrocon by a bunch of furries and assume this is site centered mainly furry artwork, but welcomes all artists. I think somebody made the point that tagging things as furry on a furry site is useless, as it's the expected subject matter of the site's content. Sort of like tagging something as "Sex" on HentaiFoundry or E621, or even "Furry" on FurAffinity.

So forgive me if I was mistaken that this is a "furry" site, but given what I'd heard coming in, could you honestly blame me or anybody else?
    Last edited by MukiHyena; 10-19-2012 at 06:54 PM.

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #39
    Weasyl
    Ben
    So forgive me if I was mistaken that this is a "furry" site, but given what I'd heard coming in, could you honestly blame me or anybody else?
    We do not begrudge you for this, and we understand how that happened, due to the word-of-mouth turning into a game of "Whisper Down the Lane." However, we do wish to implore that despite that misconception, that this is still a plenty useable site for people hailing from the furry community, and all communities. After all, this site is still in beta, and we do want to get as many issues worked out as possible here to make it as friendly to use for everyone as possible. Our lead coder should be home soon, and I intend to speak with him about these issues as soon as possible.

Weasyl
    Tango

I'm sure the mods and such understand (as stated by Ben). It's going to take time to get the word out that it's a 'general art' site and not -just- a furry haven. The good news is the mods and admins listen to people. That is head and shoulders above other sites *cough*FA*cough*. It's good that the staff is 'hands on' as long as it doesn't turn into a hundred micro-dictatorships, each having it's own interpretation of the rules. I highly doubt it will become that way.