Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Blaster Master is a close second.
    Blaster Master and Lifeforce are also really close contenders for the NES category for me.
    Blaster Master, in particular, was just an amazing game through and through. And I think it did the Metroid thing way better than Metroid itself, at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendly View Post
    NES: The Guardian Legend (glad I'm not the only one)
    Ohai.

Quote Originally Posted by Viciviser View Post
    NES - Monster Party
    Another one of my favorites. Monster Party was a fuckin trip.

Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    NES: Super C
    Another one of my favorites.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Battlechili1
    NES: Megaman 2-
    Never have I played a game this old that barely ages at all. Its such a simple game but that's all it needed to be. Just jump and shoot. The levels and enemies are well designed, and its fun memorizing enemy attack patterns and figuring out how to dodge them, constantly failing until finally you succeed while good music plays.

Nintendo 64: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time-
    Ocarina of Time was the first game I ever owned, so there's probably a good bit of nostalgia here. But it offered so much freedom in terms of what you could do and when. It had a big 3D world with lots to explore, and the combat offered a lot of control, something that I love about Zelda games.

Gamecube: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess-
    Twilight Princess to me is basically Ocarina of Time with a newer paintjob in my opinion. Plus Midna.

Wii: Pandora's Tower
    Pandora's Tower is like a 3D Zelda game without the overworld. Its just 13 dungeons with a timed Majora's Mask style game mechanic with a somewhat dark and disturbed requirement of feeding your girlfriend the flesh of beasts. The classical music was also pretty rad and the general quietness of the game made dungeons and puzzle solving all the more enjoyable.

Playstation: Ape Escape-
    The music is absolutely amazing and its a very challenging 3D platformer with some really good level design requiring a lot of skill and thought out of the player.

Playstation 2: Kingdom Hearts II-
    Yoko Shimomura+Testuya Nomura+cuhrayzee story+fast-paced ARPG combat that changes and gets fancier as you progress = a fun game.

Playstation 3: Nier-
    Its like playing a challenging if somewhat flawed 3D Zelda game that mixes a lot of other gameplay styles together all while telling two different stories just by adding context in each playthrough making it sad, screwed up, and beautiful as heck.

Game Boy Advance: Pokemon Emerald-
    I have a hard time coming up with GBA games I liked. It was either this, FE: The Sacred Stones, or Golden Sun.

Nintendo DS: Solatorobo: Red the Hunter-
    Its like if Gurren Lagann was turned into a video game that has a huge amount of lore and worldbuilding.

Nintendo 3DS: Devil Survivor Overclocked-
    Challenging and rewarding RPG combat mixed with a turn-based strategy game and a story about surviving the apocalypse while having to make hardcore choices is pretty rad. Lots of endings and replayability, all while having good music to boot.

Playstation Portable: Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core-
    This is actually the only game I own on PSP that I've played, lol.

Playstation Vita/TV: Persona 4 Golden-
    See above, but this time with the PSTV.

PC: Cave Story+-
    Its like if you took the gameplay of Mega Man, the world of Metroid, and the story of a Final Fantasy game and put them together with lovable bunny people mixed in.
    Last edited by Battlechili1; 09-22-2015 at 03:31 AM.
    The future is in the past! Onwards Aoshima!

Weasyl
    Viciviser
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    PS1: Legend of Mana. Not just my favorite game for this system: my favorite game of all time. Not even totally sure I can explain it, because as a game it's pretty dull (the combat is super easy to tease out), but it's just an all-around beautiful thing, from the art to the music to the general design, the mystifying complexity of the weapon modification and magic systems, building golems, ranching monster companions, hundreds of unlockable quests, quirky and creative characters and character designs, and all bundled into an overarching theme about the dangers and bounties of helping to bring love back to the world. Also the ending theme song is in Swedish.
    Breath of Fire IV is also wonderful and worth mention.

PS2: Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. This game totally doesn't get the respect it deserves. Love the messy industrial underground setting, and again it has a wonderful score.
    AAaahhh mann. I mentioned Secret of Mana before but forgot to point out Legend of Mana on PS1. I agree whole-heartedly with your rundown of that game. It really captured me with its art, music, and oh the characters. Quirky is one way to put it yes.

Also, glad someone else played Dragon Quarter. Let alone thought well of it. For some reason most people I've asked do not know it exists. And that has included some people who have played other Breath of Fire games.

I'd like to mention now that for some reason I also forgot Chrono Cross on the PS1! It was the "third" installment of the Chrono series. Apparently the second was titled Radical Dreamers, which was on SNES, and I did not get to play that one.
    Chrono Cross has a myriad of cool characters. It also has great design and music. It is enigmatic in a good way most of the time, but it has some elements that push the story into obscurity. Makes for a disjointed plot here and there, but oh the adventures this game takes you on. Very trippy areas and most of the callbacks to Chrono Trigger are vague, but I like how it connects.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Battlechili1 View Post
    PC: Cave Story+-
    Its like if you took the gameplay of Mega Man, the world of Metroid, and the story of a Final Fantasy game and put them together with lovable bunny people mixed in.
    That's a good way of putting it. Cave Story is an awesomely made game! And yeah, the mimigas are lovable too. <3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Another one of my favorites. Monster Party was a fuckin trip.
    *Brofist* Heck yeah!

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle GodHeart View Post
    N64: eh... either super 64 mario or zelda ocarina of time
    PS2: final fantasy 10
    PS1: might and magic
    PC: morrowind
    DS: Solatorobo
    3DS: pokemon Y
    360: skyrim
    XBOX ONE: dragon age inquition

thats all the ones i can think of now
    Game boy colour: dragon warrior 3
    Game boy original: pokemon yellow
    it takes a real man to call sin out by its real name
    -anonomus

אב, סלח להם; כי הם לא יודעים מה הם עושים
    -ישועה

profile pic by uncle-noob on teen furs.

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    PS1-Spyro the dragon

Game boy Color/SP/Advance-Toss up between Pokemon and Super Mario Bros, I cant name a single one in particular for each

PS2-Sly Cooper (Im cheating because also Sonic heroes)

Wii-Super Smash Bros Brawl

Nintendo DS lite-Pokemon heartgold/soulsilver

3DS-Thus far I only have Super Mario Bros 2

PC- Portal/Portal 2
    Last edited by WolfNightV4X1; 09-22-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war

Weasyl
    jerry
    I've always been more of a cartoon guy than a video game guy, but I have my favourite games on some consoles:

SNES Kirby Super Star

I didn't play a whole lot on the SNES, though all the nights with my friends on that game were a blast. I didn't own the game. But thay may change eventually X3

PS1: Crash Team Racing

I've only had like three games on the PS1, but I played CTR a LOT. Never the story mode though, because I was so pathetic at video games (it's still true today in fact :C ). Crash Bash comes close in 2nd place.

PS2: Burnout 3: Takedown

The discovery of this game was probably the closest thing to a crush I ever felt. I never expected to see a racing game in which you can actually send your opponents in the trees! Other Burnout games were good as well, but they don't beat the 3 IMO.

Gamecube: Kirby Air Ride

I found that game at Walmart by pure chance back in the day for 23$. The best 23$ I've ever spent on a video game! All those gaming nights with my friends were priceless!

GBA: Kirby and the amazing mirror

I got the game just after it was released. I had just discovered the Kirby series via a friend who owned Nightmare in Dream Land (which I also have). We played together in multiplayer for HOURS on several Kirby games, including this one. It's one of only two games I actually completed.

DS: Kirby Super Star Ultra

Not a bad game at all. But I was slowly getting disinterested in video games by that time.

I've got a few other consoles but I barely played them.

Weasyl
    DevilishlyHandsome49
    [In order of when I got them]

PS1: Spiderman

PS2: Kingdom Hearts 2

Gameboy Advance SP: Mario vs. Donkey Kong

PSP: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

PC: Sims 2

Wii: MySims

PS3: So many to choose from, but I'll give it to Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

PS4: So far, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

In chronological order:

BBC Micro: Moon Cresta. Had to google to find the name of that. It was pretty fun, and deciding whether or not to dock your ship was a tough choice. More firepower, but a bigger target.

NES: Bubble Bobble. One of my favourite games of all time. Bloody level 99.

Game boy: Nemesis. Fun side-scrolling shooter jobby.

PC: Hahaha, I'm not even goin- no wait, Quake. Definitely Quake. I spent literally years playing and modding that.

N64: Super Smash Bros. Closely followed by Ocarina of Time.

Gameboy Colour: Pokémon Red. Yes.

I haven't owned anything else. I could list PC multiple times though in theory.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #19
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game I've ever played man. I LOVE that game.
    It is a great game. I frequently hear people give it shit, though, for some reason. Probably because it was different, with the addition of the water jet-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Blaster Master and Lifeforce are also really close contenders for the NES category for me.
    Blaster Master, in particular, was just an amazing game through and through. And I think it did the Metroid thing way better than Metroid itself, at the time.
    That's probably true. I actually didn't get around to playing any of the Metroid games until later, and I have to say... they're interesting games, and Super Metroid is very good, but Jeebus Crow are the controls stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Viciviser View Post
    AAaahhh mann. I mentioned Secret of Mana before but forgot to point out Legend of Mana on PS1. I agree whole-heartedly with your rundown of that game. It really captured me with its art, music, and oh the characters. Quirky is one way to put it yes.
    Pirate penguins captained by a walrus, dudbears, and a tribe of egg-people who wear birds' nests on their heads. Amongst many others.

Also, glad someone else played Dragon Quarter. Let alone thought well of it. For some reason most people I've asked do not know it exists. And that has included some people who have played other Breath of Fire games.
    It really fell under the radar, and again I think a lot of the reason is, it's so vastly different from the other games in the series. Even the combat system is very bizarre, and then of course there's the fact that the game has a kind of time-limit, it all takes place underground, it's difficult to save your progress, and dragons barely show up. So yeah, I think after 3 and 4, it took everybody completely off-guard and they ended up hating it. But I loved it.

The problem with this thread is I keep seeing all these old titles and thinking, 'Yeah, that's excellent, too'. It makes it hard to say which is the 'favorite'. Like, I don't even know how you compare something like Contra with something like Zelda. Almost have to also split by genre, but then everybody's list would get super long.

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    PC: Europa Universalis 4
    PS2: Shadow of Rome
    PS1: Ace Combat 2