Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Regular pixiefox33's Avatar
    Weasyl
    pixiefox33
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cleveland
    Gender
    meh
    Posts
    36

    what bothers fursuit makers the most?

    i'm not sure where i should put this so if you have a suggestion please let me know!

    hey! so as i am hoping to commission a suit soon i want to know what i should and should not do.
    what is taken as helpful input and what is taken as being rude and demanding?
    i want to have a really great experience with this and hope to make a connection with my fursuit maker as she/he will be creating my character and bringing them to life!

  2. #2
    Regular pixiefox33's Avatar
    Weasyl
    pixiefox33
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cleveland
    Gender
    meh
    Posts
    36
    -boost-

  3. #3
    Junior Zop's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Zop
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    9
    What annoys me most is when people tell me to leave while I am wearing the Fursuit I made. Yes i can wear my suit in Chuck-E-Cheese this is America. So what if my suit is made out of shag carpet ripped from a flooded basement you can't remove me from the ball pit because you fail to accept my identity and see the beauty in my craft.

  4. #4
    Junior Yarra's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Yarra
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    21
    You get what you pay for. The most important part is to spec it out in the beginning so there's no misunderstanding down the road.. Not just concept art but to payments, delivery timing, materials, etc. Personality plays a lot so keep an eye out for anything unusual in their conversation and wok communication style. It's usually easy to tell if somebody is touchy or sketchy. Touchy people are never happy people and don't usually listen to you or compromise.

    I remember during the search for my current commission I reached out to one maker and he was a huge dick. He said he only does work for his "friends" and made clear I was NOT one of them. He was probably the rudest person I ever met online.

    I only work with people I like, a pretty easy rule to follow.

  5. #5
    Regular pixiefox33's Avatar
    Weasyl
    pixiefox33
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cleveland
    Gender
    meh
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarra View Post
    You get what you pay for. The most important part is to spec it out in the beginning so there's no misunderstanding down the road.. Not just concept art but to payments, delivery timing, materials, etc. Personality plays a lot so keep an eye out for anything unusual in their conversation and wok communication style. It's usually easy to tell if somebody is touchy or sketchy. Touchy people are never happy people and don't usually listen to you or compromise.

    I remember during the search for my current commission I reached out to one maker and he was a huge dick. He said he only does work for his "friends" and made clear I was NOT one of them. He was probably the rudest person I ever met online.

    I only work with people I like, a pretty easy rule to follow.
    thanks! do you think you would be offended if someone used a picture from another maker to get a specific point across for their suit(ex: an eye shape that they liked on one suit and want done similarly for theirs)

  6. #6
    Regular lilshark's Avatar
    Weasyl
    lilshark
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiefox33 View Post
    thanks! do you think you would be offended if someone used a picture from another maker to get a specific point across for their suit(ex: an eye shape that they liked on one suit and want done similarly for theirs)
    I would be more concerned with the with the suit maker you want to reference than the one you want to commission getting offended. Suit makers tend to each have their own style and signature 'look'. Eyes can be a big part of that signature look and when a suit maker sees another taking that look, even if it was requested by the commissioner, it can create a very touchy issue.

    With that point in mind, I'd say it's better to understand the suit makers style and find the one that best meets the overall look of what you want and let them do their thing. Usually when you let an artist of any type go at it how they would normally, it creates a better final product over all.
    Last edited by lilshark; 09-27-2015 at 04:34 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular pixiefox33's Avatar
    Weasyl
    pixiefox33
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cleveland
    Gender
    meh
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by lilshark View Post
    I would be more concerned with the with the suit maker you want to reference than the one you want to commission getting offended. Suit makers tend to each have their own style and signature 'look'. Eyes can be a big part of that signature look and when a suit maker sees another taking that look, even if it was requested by the commissioner, it can create a very touchy issue.

    With that point in mind, I'd say it's better to understand the suit makers style and find the one that best meets the overall look of what you want and let them do their thing. Usually when you let an artist of any type go at it how they would normally, it creates a better final product over all.
    thanks so much!! that didn't even cross my mind bt it totally makes sense~ yeah. i mean i definitely get making sure you love the makers style cause that's a HUGE part of it all. i have someone in mind whos style i adore and also came across just a few suits to help me visualize for my character but definitely nothing that i straight up copied cause at the end of the day, i want my character to be totally unique just as i'm sure the other person wants for theirs as well!

  8. #8
    I can understand not wanting to be be an outright dick to the manufacturer but when you're putting hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the line for some person you never met to make you a suit, there's gonna be expectations. If being specific about the style or demanding a timetable are liable to upset fursuit makers then they need to hang the hat up.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

  9. #9
    Premium User Oly's Avatar
    Weasyl
    oly
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    edmonton
    Gender
    NB/male leaning
    Posts
    307
    If you're not literally asking them to ape entire suits or designs or makers or whatever I don't think that should be a big deal.

    Of course you should also pick a maker with a style you already like, but using things for reference shouldn't be a bad thing. If you're paying 1-4 thousand fukkin dollars on something you should be able to do everything within reason to make sure it's what you wanted.

  10. #10
    Regular pixiefox33's Avatar
    Weasyl
    pixiefox33
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cleveland
    Gender
    meh
    Posts
    36
    yeah. mostly it's just like i found one maker that i really adore the style of but i noticed when she makes 3D eyes she has a male and female shape and they don't really differ. i love everything else about her though and even e-mailed if she would be able to make them in a different shape and she told me yes as long as i had a reference!
    so i think it's definitely important to respect a makers style but also at the end of the day, you are putting in sooooo much money and i think it would be impossible for me to find one maker that i love everything about them.
    otherwise though i definietly get that when i commission to, well, to put it simply, not be a jerk. have patience, because if im investing i want to make sure the maker is comfortable too so i can get their best quality! and pretty much just be specific with the design and don't go changing it over and over because that's obnoxious.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •