Plein air sketching

As I've been drawn (heh) to plein air sketching lately, I've been wondering: on a forum filled with so many creative individuals, surely there must be more people who sketch on the go. And because it's an interesting topic, I figured I might as well start a topic. Plus, art-discussions are always interesting!

So, the questions to kickstart this thread are the following:
    - What are your preferred media to work with and why?
    - What is your general set-up and compact kit to work with?
    - What are your favorite subjects to sketch?

Weasyl
    sushy
    I sometimes sketch people in the metro or train. Does that count too as "plein air"? I have sketched people on gatherings as well, just sitting there with my sketchbook. My preferred tools would be ballpoint pens and sketchbooks for that.

That definitely counts, imo! I'm mostly curious about how other people set up their supplies for working on the go.

is your sketchbook A4? Because I've tried working with that size while sketching at the zoo and I found it cumbersome. Then again, I was also lugging around waterbrushes, pencils, pens, a watercolor-palette, tissues and some clips to keep everything secure. @_@

Weasyl
    maugryph
    Quote Originally Posted by sushy View Post
    I sometimes sketch people in the metro or train. Does that count too as "plein air"? I have sketched people on gatherings as well, just sitting there with my sketchbook. My preferred tools would be ballpoint pens and sketchbooks for that.
    Why I see the term used more for painting, it can technically mean any medium.

I have a pocket sketchbook on me at all times. It's like a addiction. I tried watercolor plein air before, too messy, might try acrylic in the future.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    With Spring here and Winter over, I might actually try this out. It sounds awful relaxing :O

Quote Originally Posted by maugryph View Post
    Why I see the term used more for painting, it can technically mean any medium.

I have a pocket sketchbook on me at all times. It's like a addiction. I tried watercolor plein air before, too messy, might try acrylic in the future.
    The messiness tends to be manageable when working with a waterbrush, I've found. Then again, I do compromise a lot because I'm smitten by the medium.

Which sketchbook do you like, by the way? I'm going to bind my own and I'm eyeing the Moleskine watercolor ones, but I'm not sure if they are really good, or just hyped.

@Hewge: it is! Especially when you go people- or animal-sketching.
    Just don't let children get near your stuff. A toddler nearly got his grubby hands on my palette and... 12 pans, around €7 average per paint-tube. That would've been terrible to fix. Ack. @_@

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I mostly use pencils and waterbrush, watercolor pencils. I'm usually studying any outdoor subject on the bus, but I'm thinking about studying my hamsters since they sleep so funny.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I have an $18 sketchbook that, I think, was supposed to be a lineless journal originally?
    It's leatherbound. Got it at Barnes.

I considered getting a Moleskine, but I'd be paying more for less than half the pages? And the page quality seemed to be about the same. So I said "fuck that."

I like sketching sometimes when I'm out.
    I've never tried to paint or anything out in the open, though.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    sushy
    I currently work with an A4 sketchbook but I have also worked with small formats. I never went water coloring out there though. I think paint is so troublesome on the road. But yeah I have seen artists do that with paint before, so I guess it is possible. ^^;

Weasyl
    maugryph
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    Which sketchbook do you like, by the way? I'm going to bind my own and I'm eyeing the Moleskine watercolor ones, but I'm not sure if they are really good, or just hyped.
    I'm a messy with watercolors but I'm uber careful with ink, I am a living contradiction.
    Mole skins are nice but overpriced.
    I use Canson mix media sketchbooks for travel painting. They can handle ink and watercolor rather decently and are thick sheets of paper. I love Stafmore toned paper but I feel it is overpriced and only get them when there is a 2 for 1 sale. Since I sketch only with ball point pens and markers, Ironically the best paper is the smooth card stock you can buy for cheep at officemax. Not as romantic as a sketchbook but more practical price wise.
    Last edited by maugryph; 09-16-2015 at 05:53 PM.