Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Slow and Steady...

Slow?

More like steady. Deliberate. As if, at least at present, Sev went through a checklist in his mind, to make sure he didn't forget anything. First, just allowing Mei to get off, so his tail would be free. Then checking what she'd wanted to know, followed by securing his machine, then getting off, himself. With a more substantial tail, without practice and deliberation, he could easily trip up. Embarrass himself. Damage something. So, yes, in Mei's mind, slow...

... poke poke poke...

... "We're over two miles from the river." Sev finished separating his own "hound" gear from his air skimmer, adjusted the arms hidden under his shirt as he shouldered his own pack and turned to Mei...

..."Try to pace yourself... we have all day to explore." Yes, he lead the way, grin at Mei's energetic excitement, his own pace... steady and sure.
    "Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." ~ Walt Kelly

"A bit small, but it will have to do." ~ Evil Scientist

"Jack not name! Jack job!" ~ Sweetums

Weasyl
    N/A
    Pace myself?... you still have a lot to learn about me! She eagerly danced around Sev as he prepared his things. She bounced up and down with excitement until they were off...

She easily kept pace with Sev, being so agile and used to running through the forest and over rocks. "So... what kind of shinies do you think we will find?" She asked, trying to spark some conversation

Weasyl
    N/A
    Conversational Movement...

Mei still had to learn a lot about Sev...

Mei had to wait before Sev spoke, as his mind went over what little he knew of this area. And of what "shinies" he wanted to find. Though his pace moved sure and steady, that didn't mean he moved slow. So his breath took a few seconds to gather, to move, itself...

... "Hnnnn... most likely quartz. Nothing to make us rich..." His grin held not only amusement, but a bit of irony, given he was not in any way poor... "just pretty stones for pretty ladies, in my case. I hope to find geodes, something I can cut and polish, as a gift to... well, whoever ends up mother of my children." Yes, he hesitated, knowing how Mei felt, but he couldn't be dishonest about his intentions. His whole reason for this expedition, just that.

"I'm sure I can find something special for you, Mei... even if I have to cut it with my teeth and polish it with my tongue."

He gave her a look with all three eyes, his whole body alert, his pace never faltering...

... "Not that I haven't already given you something special. And you, me. Only fair to return gift for gift......."

Weasyl
    N/A
    I hope to find geodes, something I can cut and polish, as a gift to... well, whoever ends up mother of my children.
    This sentence hit Mei like a ton of bricks. Her gaze went blank and she faltered in her steady pace as she felt all of the blood drain from her extremities. Her massive lapse in attention caused her legs to nearly forget she was walking, which sent her toe straight into a large rock she was supposed to be stepping over. She yelped, snapping back to her senses just in time to regain her balance by hopping on her other foot. She began walking stiffly, quickly, blushing at her mistake and reaction at Sev's words. I hope he didn't notice....

"I'm sure I can find something special for you, Mei... even if I have to cut it with my teeth and polish it with my tongue."
    "Not that I haven't already given you something special. And you, me. Only fair to return gift for gift......."
    This brought some life back to her. She gave a slight grin and met Sev's gaze with her own. Her eyes lingered for just long enough to show her appreciation at the sentiment of said shiny, then her attention went back to walking. "You're too sweet."

Something special... a gift... what a wonderful gift... Her thoughts turned back to the previous night. It was a gift. A shared emotional act that brought two closer together. Why was I so stupid?! I KNEW that he would be leaving this world soon... a hope... I thought there was a glimmer of hope... that maybe I could change his mind... Her expression became blank as she began closing herself within her own mind... with her thoughts and fears. Her eyes lost their fierce spark and her outward senses dulled. A heaviness set into her heart.

But then what about his offspring? I know the idea means too much to him for a WOLF to come between him having children. She continued walking. Species so different from one another can't have children together... its not possible... is it?... She glanced up at Sev, who continued his steady pace, then back down at her own belly. She rubbed it gently with her paw. No, I'm just being crazy now. We are too different, genetics can't work like that. Blood rushed back into her cheeks as she remembered the end of their shared 'gift'. Well, I don't feel any morning sickness, so that's a sign... She blinked and shook her head hard, coming back into reality. No, just being silly.. She quickened her pace to catch up to Sev, which was now a few yards ahead.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Wonderful Gifts...

Honesty could hurt. Sev knew this, reason he'd hesitated. He didn't want Mei hurt... he winced as she stubbed her toe, ears not missing what his eyes missed. Yes, he'd noticed how hard his words hit. But he'd never lied to a lover, and he didn't intend to ever start. Mei seemed... very attached to him. And yes, with his ears alert, his eyes kept glancing her way. His Eye seeing her Spirit shift with her thoughts and fears. His eyes seeing her rub her belly. No, he couldn't read minds. But he knew that look in a female's eyes, could read her physicality, her body language, loud and clear. Body, mind, Spirit. Mei...

... "I'm too sweet?" His pace slowed a bit, flat valley land starting to rise mountainward, the going now upward. Sev didn't want Mei to fall behind again. "I've never thought of myself that way. I just remember my parents, what they taught me. Watching how my father treated my mother, gave her gifts. Gave her shinies... gave her himself. My parents never hid anything from me or my sister." Sev sighed. His own revelation from the previous evening... yes, perhaps for the first time, he realized just how much his father had taught him, just by being who he was. Sev's ears went back and his quills raised, tail stiff as he leaned forwards to duck a branch.

Mei had thought... what a wonderful gift... Sev found himself thinking the same thing. Only...

... BONK!...

... he'd ducked one branch, only to hit his head on another...

... "Urrrrr!" He rubbed at the bump, pace now halted, him feeling like an idiot. "Seems my distraction warning didn't do any good. Stubbed toe, bump on the head... we certainly make a pair." Grin. "Even when I'm not naked, Mei, it seems I can't get out of your thoughts. I'm sorry......."

It wasn't a deliberate omission, but he'd failed to mention her being in his own thoughts.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Mei winced at the thud of skull making contact with branch. She rushed to his side quickly and began examining the impact site. She returned his grin. "You certainly did a number on that tree!" She pointed to the broken branch and giggled. Her mind snapped away from her worries just as the branch snapped from the tree. "No need to apologize." She shook her head slowly. "Let's just focus on what lies ahead and enjoy the moment." She kissed the bump on his head gently and regained the lightness in her step, but couldn't prevent some measure of sadness from her thoughts.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Enjoyable Moments

Sev did indeed enjoy the moment. No, not the head-bash! Mei's concern after, one moment. Her examination, another. Her grin. Her giggle. He enjoyed all these moments. Then her kiss... her raised spirits. These two moments he enjoyed most of all. Even the moment the branch snapped! Yes, his kind had rather hard heads, but he was still impressed he'd hit that hard without knocking himself senseless. Like hitting head to windshield, and not even feeling it, let alone finding any mark. Just a stare of amazement at the shattered windshield.

Yes, distraction just a means to accomplish Zen, it seemed. The power to break bricks with forehead. Without breaking skull. Apparently not just a human "skill".......

... "What lies ahead..." Already bent down by blow and by Mei's attentions, Sev decided to take precautionary measures. Dropped to all fours, rather than stand again on twos... "that is always a mystery. Life could throw anything at us. I like it that way... makes life interesting."

The way forwards became steeper, though the trees started thinning out. Sound of running water, nearby. Rocks more a hazard to tender wolf-feet. What lies ahead? Well, if they kept going.......

Weasyl
    N/A
    What lies ahead... Mei's ears fell flat. What does lie ahead.. for me?.. She followed after Sev.

Slowly they descended. Mei picked her steps carefully, avoiding the loose bits of rock and ground and the slippery leaves. Sev seemed to have no problem keeping a quicker pace, using his muscular frame and 4 limbs to support himself. Luckily, Mei is light on her feet and very agile. Twice on the way down she slipped on a loose rock but was able to regain her balance quickly.

They reached the bottom, sound of running water louder now as they approached...

Weasyl
    N/A
    Running Water...

Slowly they descended.......

Yes, after their climb, they crested a ridge and slowly started to descend down the other side. And no, Sev had no problem, down on all fours, his strength and claws and sure-footed confidence... excellent sense of balance... yes, these natural skills practiced through a lifetime of wandering the wilderness as a child... well, he made his way without slip or slide. Up the ridge. Then down.

Running water.......

Always a good thing to find fresh water, but... Sev sniffed the scent. Listened, ears perked forwards. Something was off, but he couldn't say exactly what. He stopped, hands on a fallen tree in their way. He sniffed and listened even harder, eyes looking towards the sound of running water he could not yet see, before he continued over the rotting column of wood. Stopped again on the other side, to offer Mei a hand up, should she need help...

... "We're almost there, Mei... follow this stream a ways up, then we can start exploring for shiny rocks......."

Weasyl
    N/A
    Mei sensed something... off... as well. She had smelled it some time ago, but was lost in her own mind at the time. She paused behind Sev and the fallen tree and tilted her head to the side, staring intently into the brush. She could see the stream through the undergrowth, but nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. She closed her eyes, resting them for a moment, opening them to find Sev proffering a hand to her. She grasped it and scaled the fallen tree with Sev's help.

"Sev..." She paused again. "Something about this place is bothering me.... but I'm not sure what.. I can't put my paw on it..." She looked into his eyes, her face worried.