Weasyl
    CrazyLee

When is it being TOO picky when you're a commissioner?

So about a month ago I won a raffle. The raffle had various fur items, the item I won was a furry headshot keychain necklace dongle. I had thrown in several dollars.

When I contacted the artist I talked to her through IM, gave her some pics of my furry character, gave her specific directions on various things. It took her about 10-15 minutes but she sent me a WIP. It was an inked WIP. I was okay with it but there were things that bugged me a bit about it, mostly nitpicky stuff. I told her, she altered it and sent me the update. I then noticed his eyebrows were circles. Now, this might have just been her style, and the way she draws eyebrows. Who knows. Even though I was nice about it, and apologized for being picky, she did get a bit upset. She finally decided to fix it by using white-out to fix it. If I would have known she was going to do that, I would have told her to not worry about it... I abhor using whiteout in a traditional piece.

The funny thing was, this was in the WIP phase, and I'm surprised she did WIP in ink rather than pencil (although maybe she doesn't use pencil at all, I don't know). Later, someone else who had won one got nitpicky when hers was markered and ready to be sent and no one said anything...

In any case, when is being picky being TOO picky? This could be considered a "free" commission, since I didn't actually buy the item. But I did pay for the raffle. BUT, I spent less in the raffle than the item was worth if I bought it from her.

The thing that bugs me, is that if there's something I see on a commission that bugs me, I'm terrified that I'll see it every time I look at the commission. A sort of "you cannot unsee it" thing. Your eyes will always be drawn there. And I'll always wonder "should I have just asked?"

This happened to me ages ago. A friend bought a commission for me secretly, I only knew when I got the art. It was great art but they made one major issue, which would have been easy to fix since it was digital. I asked the artist and she acted like I was saying the art was shit, flipped out, and asked if she should refund my friend. I demurred and shut up. I still to this day wonder if I should have pressed it and just asked politely for her to fix it.

Do you press the issue and just ask nicely, or do you shut up? Does it matter if it's a raffle, or auction, or fully paid? Does it matter the price of the item?

Imo, the price shouldn't matter. If you paid for it, you should get what you paid for. I'd be more willing to let it slide with non-monetary raffles.

However.. it depends on the artist whether or not you can push the issue, really. Some will try to accommodate and fix what they can, some mention it in their ToS how many tweaks and redraws they're willing to do at each stage and others ... explode at the mere mention that they may have screwed up.

Personally? I set a limit on the amount of tweaks I do per stage if what needs to be changed is *not* due to a mistake on my part. Like someone describing a pose and then deciding halfway through they want something different. On the other hand ... if the references were very clear and I fucked up by missing something or drawing it wrong? You can bet I'll fix that, because it's a mistake on *my part*.

Your best bet, though? Phrase it politely, hope for the best and if they snap at you, just make a mental note to avoid them for future business. And always check ToS's first to see if tweaks /fixes are explicitly mentioned!

Weasyl
    N/A
    ^So much this^

If it's in their capabilities and you paid for what they're selling, I think it's quite fair to ask for minor changes. Something extensive however I could see them charging a bit extra (assuming it wasn't entirely their fault).

It's always good to stay as politely as possible though - for both sides! When one starts blasting the other, that does no good in resolving the issue.

Not an artist, but I know several.

Too picky is when you micromanage an artist down to the placement of the fingers. Artists need at least SOME freedom. If you're going to micromanage it that much, just draw it yourself!

But don't feel bad if an artist misses certain details. I've had to go back and get several teeny changes on certain pieces just because of certain oddities that are easy to miss (like the fact that my character has no muzzle markings that most artists add to foxes on autopilot, or slightly more importantly when they give her an enhancement in the chest area that I want reigned back a bit). As long as it's an easy fix, it shouldn't be a big problem.

Yes, there is an element of "You get what you pay for". but it's just good business to make sure your clients are happy, if only so they'll tell their friends how great you are, or better yet, they'll come back for more.

First off, this is why you show pencil WIPs, so you can make corrections. If they sign off on that, then any omissions are their problem. Also, pay attention to all those quirks about the character the first time, so you don't have to keep redrawing things. If the character has three spots on their right cheek, and three on the left, assume there is some vitally important reason why they're there. Make sure they're aware of what you're prepared to do ahead of time, especially with new clients. This can be especially important when dealing with clients who's only four words of input tend to be "Can you make them bigger?". Make sure they know a quick sketch commission is just that. They're not going to get the Sistine Chapel for 5 bucks.

Short version for the client: Yes, press the issue and ask nicely.