Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese tutor

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart

Japanese tutor

hey im trying to learn japanese, so do any of yall know a tutor or would we be willing to tutor me?
    it takes a real man to call sin out by its real name
    -anonomus

אב, סלח להם; כי הם לא יודעים מה הם עושים
    -ישועה

profile pic by uncle-noob on teen furs.

I'm preparing for N5. I don't think I could teach anyone what I know online though. I learn through an official japanese school...
    One thing I can say is that we started by learning to read and write hiragana and katakana before we even started vocabulary.
    Romaji sucks. The sooner you stop relying on it the better, so I'd recommend memorizing kana until you're able to read the characters separately. Shouldn't take longer than a week. Just keep in mind the quickest way to memorize the kana is WRITING them. So you may or may not get bored having to spend 10~30 mins of a day drawing the characters over and over.

If you already did... Look for Minna no Nihongo. I think my school's material is partially taken from it. Start the vocabulary, solve exercises based only on examples (preferably no English headers at all) like one chapter a day, reviewing vocabulary of the previous chapter regularly until you got it memorized.
    We didn't start Kanji until sometime later. I'd suggest studying kanji related to the vocabulary you're studying, and if possibly not advance until you got the appropriate kanji covered.
    You don't NEED to learn to write the kanji. Reading is far more important. A lot of teachers can't draw any kanji whatsoever. It depends what you want to learn japanese for.

I don't use other book material outside the school's own material, which I'm not allowed to share. So I can't help with other book recommendations...

Having someone to talk japanese with is a huge help too when you're able to formulate simple sentences like "My name is-" "I like-" "I do-" "I don't-" "Where is-" "What is-" etc.
    I haven't found anyone myself, 'cause they usually expect me to teach them my native language in exchange, which is a royal pain to teach...
    I don't know any "tutor" but there are online communities dedicated to teaching one another foreign language. Like Live Mocha or Duolingo or something. I used Live Mocha for like a week. I think they're like social networks focused on language learning exchange.

Playing video games that exhibit text in hiragana instead of kanji is very helpful too. You need to be super patient though. You will constantly pause to look up unfamiliar words and sentences for a while.
    Manga can be helpful too. If they're aimed at children and young teenagers they're guaranteed to have furigana (small hiragana characters positioned right above the kanji). This way you can get familiar with the reading of kanji that are used often.
    Last edited by dischimera; 09-03-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    well for my reasons im wanting to one day move to Japan, not to mention im wanting to get into the tech buisnnes ,and of cource there are some manga/games/anime they dont translate into english. also thanks for the help, ill be shure to try that all out
    -anonomus

-ישועה

If you want to move to Japan... You're probably gonna need to learn how to write kanji, not just read.
    By the way if you have asian or japanese descendency they will expect a lot more from your knowledge of their language and culture.
    If you don't, they're usually surprisingly more friendly. (Or at least act that way) But be warned many japanese outside Tokyo have phobia of western people. Either 'cause they go with the assumption they won't understand you or simply fear of western culture corrupting their own or something like that.
    Source of those claims: My teachers have lived from 6 months to 20 years in Japan.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Quote Originally Posted by dischimera View Post
    But be warned many japanese outside Tokyo have phobia of western people. Either 'cause they go with the assumption they won't understand you or simply fear of western culture corrupting their own or something like that.
    Source of those claims: My teachers have lived from 6 months to 20 years in Japan.
    Your teacher isn't wrong. Japan has been called one of the most Xenophobic cultures in the world(Filthy Frank, and numerous people writing their experiences online). That's partially because of their history too, Japan has been very closed off from foreigners; tourism and immigration to Japan is a pretty recent thing. Recent as in, Post-WWII if I'm right. They're trying to make Tokyo more foreigner-friendly for the 2020 Olympics though, and they have to because of the influx of people that'll be flying in to watch.

On-topic: I have no experience with learning Japanese, but I am studying German. A universal tip for anyone learning a new language is to get a native language to target language dictionary. (for you, Japanese-English). Also, spend plenty of time studying the grammar and sentence composition.

This one isn't required, but it helps. Learn a language that is on the same language branch as your native one before you branch out. I heard from a teacher that your second language is hell to learn, but your third one is usually really easy. (Ex. Native English speakers learn German, Chinese speakers learn Japanese/Korean, Hebrew speakers learn Arabic, etc)

Lastly, if you can take a class for your target language, do it! Teachers can usually put everything into easy-to-understand explanations. I have sheets that would take 2-3 pages to explain in detail but she condenses it into one in idiot terms.
    Last edited by GlaringFeline; 09-03-2015 at 07:58 PM. Reason: added some tips to keep it on-topic
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    well for asian decent technicly yes.... but im native american really so what ever asian i have would have to come from that side of the family... but yeah before this i was thinking of hebrew but i really cant rap my head around all the gender reliant dialetcs of it.... also i have done some studyin of the sentance structure and it really doesnt look to hard... well sentance wise
    -anonomus

-ישועה

Dare mo kokuni nihongo ga hanashinai

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    what?

- - - Updated - - -

oh are you impling that youd be willing to teach me?
    -anonomus

-ישועה

Weasyl
    sayum
    I don't know of a tutor but I do have an app that can help you practice. Its called HelloTalk. It connects you with other language learners from different countries so you can help each other practice.

Other resources I have found useful are:
    Complete Guide to Japanese
    Japanese101 on Youtube
    A Short Video About Kanji

I am interested in learning Japanese as well. I plan on continuing self teaching when the semester begins to settle into routine. Ganbare!

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    alright cool, but i need somthing for a windows 8 or 10 because i dont have a phone.
    -anonomus

-ישועה