Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey wanna critique my stuff?

Alright so I think I've been noticing that when anyone puts up a piece of their art on Weasyl with the critique wanted option, no one really actually critiques it. If anything most of those entries just seem to lack comments at all most of the time. So I just said "Fug it" and decided to ask the people here directly to judge me like the piece of meat I is. Just a heads up, all my stuff is mostly just robots in a cartoon style (or at least I think so) so I don't know if it can really be judged properly. Nonetheless, I would love any straight up honest critique and advice on this stuff so I can keep at this art thing and get better like all dem talented people all over Weasyl.

Link to my legit gallery be here: https://www.weasyl.com/submissions?u...folderid=77325

Just gimme all the bad points first and the good points later. I don't need no praise, I need to learn how to git gud at doodlin'.

Weasyl
    Viciviser
    I put in two critiques. I like your work so far. Hope ya keep gittin' gooder.

Quote Originally Posted by Viciviser View Post
    I put in two critiques. I like your work so far. Hope ya keep gittin' gooder.
    Yeah I saw! Thanks for the critique man you brought up some things I wasn't even noticing. 8U It'll help me know how to draw all the things proper now. Probably redraw those current bots I have up someday with ref sheets and more dynamic poses after going over the things I need to improve on.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Not much of a critique, but just a suggestion.

I think testing the waters of line weight may benefit you in trying to create a more non-flat image. Lines alone are pretty powerful, so I think grasping a good handle on keeping steady and fluent lines might be something to try out.

Weasyl
    maugryph
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post

I think testing the waters of line weight may benefit you in trying to create a more non-flat image. Lines alone are pretty powerful, so I think grasping a good handle on keeping steady and fluent lines might be something to try out.
    Very true.

One method of line work that id often used in comic books is using line weights to represent the light source. I'm not taking about cross hatching. What I mean is the lines that are away from the light source and in shadow are thicker and lines in the light would be thinner. You be surprised how effective this method is to create depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post

Quote Originally Posted by maugryph View Post
    Very true.

One method of line work that id often used in comic books is using line weights to represent the light source. I'm not taking about cross hatching. What I mean is the lines that are away from the light source and in shadow are thicker and lines in the light would be thinner. You be surprised how effective this method is to create depth.
    Playing with Line Weight huh? I do wanna try to make these drawings of mine more dynamic so along with learning how to actually draw more engertic poses and movement I should try that out. Actually making the liines vary with brightness and shadow is a new idea to me; I always thought people varied line weight was more with perspective and foreshortening than with light. 8O If any of you are able, you think you could give me like a redline on one of my drawings to show what you mean?

Weasyl
    N/A
    Last edited by Moogle; 09-04-2015 at 07:59 PM. Reason: More info

Last edited by Solojo; 09-05-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Weasyl
    maugryph
    Quote Originally Posted by Solojo View Post
    Ohhh alright I get it completely now! That does look pretty cool so I think I will try that when I make another serious drawing. Thanks for the tip, but can I be a little greedy and ask about another thing?

o: I primarily use Sai for drawing/coloring anything and based off one of the critiques I got for two of my drawings I also wanted to try to get into using textures more. I honestly don't know jack about applying textures on Sai and the first time I tried I kinda got impatient and threw that idea out the window. So I guess what I'm asking is can you or anyone else reading this help me out with textures or at least link me to a little tutorial so I can get to applying it proper? I also have a copy of Photoshop CS6 so texture advice for that program would be nice too.
    In most paint programs you can incorporate textures into your workflow, but it is important that the program has transform tools that let you warp textures around the form. Never just 'cut and paste' a texture. I find Sai extremely weak in this regard and usually do my texture work in Manga Studio 5 or Photoshop. Afterwards,you will most likely need to paint over a texture to make it 'fit' into your painting. Personally I try to use natural look brushes to paint texture but both techniques are valid.

Just beware of creating a 'texture Monster', the most common mistake artist do to 'improve' their paintings

Weasyl
    N/A
    I honestly don't critique peoples work these days, because it takes time and energy I'd rather not waste doing it. It's not personal, but I've not had experiences that were positive enough to inspire me to get back into the habit.
    "If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril." ~ Sun Tzu