Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RF in Trouble

Weasyl
    Dvir

RF in Trouble

Looks as if a number of Idiots being Extreme Idiots just might have killed RF....

https://www.rainfurrest.org/2016/ind...our-attendees/

Damn, never even considered. I mean I knew there were always issues like this with cons, but it's like with the issues in the online side of the community. They just keep escalating yearly and it's come to the point where the reasonable minority are all but pleading with the inmates truly running the asylum to stop gang-raping the guards. I always figured, if anything, cons would figure out how to mainstream themselves better/faster than sites because, my assumption was, IRL things like reputation, money, consequences, or you know, simple things like body language and facial expressions being a variable would "encourage" some kind of self-assimilation once enough people saw enough bad shit happen and had to pay for it somehow. Actually maybe I should take back the mainstreaming part, because furry is arguably more mainstream now than it ever was, but cons used to be... Well, a shitload different than this, based on everything I read and heard about cons past. Or maybe that's the exact problem, it's brought in more of mainstream society's bullshit which, these days certainly does seem to include rapidly declining social skills, common sense, personal responsibility and motivation to do much of anything but cause problems for whoever looks like an easy, safe target. Because we also worship cowardice now which is clearly why so much of the shit is things like vandalism, petty theft, etc. Inanimate objects aren't witnesses, or even victims who can testify on their own behalf - only their owners can and because owners work for a living they constantly have better shit to do than watch over their property 24/7.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I really hope RF doesnt disintegrate before i even get a chance to attend! >~< people are ridiculous.... stuffing a towel, really!? All of those.. no!.. just no...

Weasyl
    Viciviser
    That's crazy! I go to the Furry Fiesta in Dallas yearly. Not only is it a blast but I'm pretty sure the hotel its held at loves the event as much as we do. I don't think FF people damage stuff to that degree beyond whatever accidents are normal. Of course, it is not the biggest Furcon or anything. Man.. I'm just kind of disheartened at this. Furries need to get their act together.

According to RF's Twitter feed, they have several leads on new venues and are looking into them currently.

What happened still sucks and the people involved in the vandalism are still idiots -- but they haven't killed RF yet.
    website | blog | FurAffinity | Amazon | Goodreads | Smashwords | Twitter

Weasyl
    N/A
    Furries ruin everything.

If they get a new venue will they'll still have the same vandalism? Totally uncalled for. Hopefully they banned everyone they and the hotel kicked out the door. I've heard of one incident where someone tried to drill a 'glory hole' between two stalls in a bathroom.

There are three truths to every man. How he see's himself. How other's see him. And how he really is. Why listen to what other's think of you? Their not even half right.

Weasyl
    oly
    I'm guessing the same thing that happened to Oklacon will happen here; they find a new venue, someone gives the new venue an earful of what happened at the old venue, new venue backs out. Then all the RF crowd will go to Vancoufur instead.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    I'm guessing the same thing that happened to Oklacon will happen here; they find a new venue, someone gives the new venue an earful of what happened at the old venue, new venue backs out. Then all the RF crowd will go to Vancoufur instead.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
    That's another good point. Word of mouth unfortunately often never travels far enough to do much for the reputation of anyone or anything, unless it's negative. We'd never hear about how great a convention went and now every hotel in the state/country knows of this great con and wants to host it. But bad news and bad reputation spreads like wildfire, especially when real, hard money is on the line. Property is money. You fuck with a man's property, you fuck with his money, and if you fuck with his money you ought to consider yourself lucky he just bans you from his place and doesn't lynch you on his front lawn. Furries will never be lynched but they will sure as fuck be ostracized to hell and back, and it would not be even close to the first convention that met such a fate.

Weasyl
    oly
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    That's another good point. Word of mouth unfortunately often never travels far enough to do much for the reputation of anyone or anything, unless it's negative. We'd never hear about how great a convention went and now every hotel in the state/country knows of this great con and wants to host it. But bad news and bad reputation spreads like wildfire, especially when real, hard money is on the line. Property is money. You fuck with a man's property, you fuck with his money, and if you fuck with his money you ought to consider yourself lucky he just bans you from his place and doesn't lynch you on his front lawn. Furries will never be lynched but they will sure as fuck be ostracized to hell and back, and it would not be even close to the first convention that met such a fate.
    Also worth noting - I meant to in my first post but forgot - but it was apparently an Oklacon attendee who called the new park ground in the first place.