Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1

How does one be a gamer?

That one trend where people take on personal titles of 'gamer' as in 'one who plays games and enjoys such activities'

I too wish I could take on this title, I have had my fair share of good times in the past playing games. The first playstation, PS2, Gameboy advance and SP and such, Nintendo DS in it's original form and lite and then dsi...we had a wii for a bit.

I've played some popular titles and thoroughly enjoyed them. Pokemon, Spyro, Sly Cooper, Super Mario Bros., classic sonic games and sonic heroes. Super smash bros. Recently I've done portal and some steam games.

However, there's huge gaps in my gameplay that I regret, popular titles I remember being advertised when I was a kid but never get the chance to play. I have not once played Legend of Zelda, Kingdom hearts, Star fox, and a whole host of other games.

So in short, today I'm way behind in the gaming community. I currently have a steam, and I recently bought a 3DS, but there's so much I haven't played and so much coming out I never got to play. To top it all off, I'm broke as hell. My parents certainly don't buy me games anymore "Too old for that" "games are for kids". So if I ever want to play anything it's going to come out of my pocket. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of old titles at some flea market or something to play on DS lite...possibly nab another Playstation sometime.

In any case, how do you guys do it? Keeping up and all...how does your wallet even feel?
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war

Weasyl
    Vae
    I don't think there's some kind of asinine "gamer quota,"
    and if there is, I don't give a shit about it. I just play things without worrying about the "culture" behind my interactive digital entertainment.

I don't keep up.
    I play what I grew up with, and very occasionally, something new (usually single) that catches my eye. Right now I'm looking at MGSV.
    That'll be the first new game I've gotten in months.

Just play what you want. It's media consumption, not a fucking cult.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    I feel "gamer" just means you enjoy playing games as a fairly steady hobby, I don't attribute anything professional or any guidelines to it.

Just enjoy what games you want to enjoy, god knows buying all of them is expensive as hell so no point trying unless you have excess amounts of cash. Gamefly is also kinda nice if you don't really know what you want to try or if you stop playing a game once you beat it.

On a side note I am selling my PS3 and games if you were looking for a slightly older system

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    Ah...true and understandable. I hope it doesn't come off that I'm trying to be in on the "kool kids klub" cult. I just happen to have a lot of friends who are gamers and I feel left out when I'm not in on the games they play, hell, even Pokemon has changed so much these days. Joining a fan base (much like being a furry), is how I socialize.

Besides, I've always wanted to play Assassins creed and Final Fantasy myself among other things, just never could. There's a lot of really good games I hadn't had the chance to try.

I honestly do like games it just seems I can't even be part of that hobby anymore. I just feel out of the loop
    Last edited by WolfNightV4X1; 08-30-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    you play games :l

It's no identity. There's no "gamer cred".
    Do you draw a lot? You're an artist.
    Do you make music? You're a musician.
    Do you play sports? You're an athlete.
    Do you play games? You're a gamer.

Of course there's different types of everything, but generally, if you own a console or built a PC to run a game properly, you most likely care about games enough to say you're a gamer.
    I don't really think it's that simple. The gamers amongst others are usually people who possess skill in playing games. For example, a person could be exceptionally good at playing fighting games because they know combos, can fight with a good portion of the characters in the game and maybe know some of the professional techniques in playing said game.

Additionally, being an artist also, in my opinion and many others', means you have some skills associated with not just drawing, but X art media like watercolour or sculpting.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    sayum
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentia View Post
    I don't really think it's that simple. The gamers amongst others are usually people who possess skill in playing games. For example, a person could be exceptionally good at playing fighting games because they know combos, can fight with a good portion of the characters in the game and maybe know some of the professional techniques in playing said game.
    Being a gamer is not about skill.
    Being a gamer is not about the titles you play.
    Being a gamer is about playing the games that interest you.
    Being a gamer is about enjoying the game your way.

Some gamers enjoy being skilled.
    Some gamers enjoy playing with friends.
    Some gamers enjoy playing popular titles so they can discuss them with the community.

Edit: And some gamers just like getting the pissed scared out of them by the horror genre...*cough*me*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by WolfNightV4X1 View Post
    In any case, how do you guys do it? Keeping up and all...how does your wallet even feel?
    Lucky for my wallet I started early and most of my games were presents. The games I did buy were on sale and usually things I had heard a lot about. Go ahead and grab those games you've heard are good and interest you! My other suggestion, if you want to get into gaming on the computer at all, is to get a Steam account. There are a lot of popular and fun games on steam and they have sales a lot! I have gotten some excellent games for under $10.

Other than that, good luck and have fun! You are already a gamer and as long as you have an interest in playing games, you still are one!

Weasyl
    Vae
    I play old games (so I basically play on PC), so my wallet's...
    well, it's not healthy. But that's not because of videogames. Lol.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    maugryph
    There are certain times I fear being a gamer. I finally have such a backlog because of Humble Bundle/store and Steam, I try to avoid their sales like the plague

This is like those "how do I know if I'm a furry/what is a furry" threads.

Also my wallet is fine thanks to Steam sales and humble bundles and whatnot. I still have games left to play from last year that I purchased.