Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: "This fandom sucks."

Weasyl
    maugryph
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I still don't know why people harp about what a toxic environment FAF was.

It had its moments, but it was mild by comparison with a lot of the shit I saw.
    Not by furry standards, granted. But by internet standards in general, it was mid-grade at best.
    I agree, It is pretty tame compared to some gaming forums I've been to. I think the people who say FAF is toxic are those who come from the main FA site. Since FAF is not a hugbox like the main site, the regulars will call the newb out if they say something stupid, the newb finds the regulars hostel and rude.

I lost count the times that a fresh member would enter the forums and his/her first post would be talking about his/her fetishes. The regulars would call him/her out, and the newb would get angry and leave the forums.
    Last edited by maugryph; 08-29-2015 at 11:46 PM.

FAF clubs the baby seals to thin the herd of morons that emigrate from the main site on a daily basis. I mean honestly, do you really want all the crap from the mainsite on the forums too?
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    maugryph
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    FAF clubs the baby seals to thin the herd of morons that emigrate from the main site on a daily basis. I mean honestly, do you really want all the crap from the mainsite on the forums too?
    That what I like about FAF, is that they don't put up with the crap thats on the main site.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    To be fair, much of the malice being thrown around on FAF is purely satirical in nature. The people most offended by it are those that can't get the joke.
    That's true. It's really no different how a lot of crowds in real life that are on peaceful enough terms with each other can jokingly tell each other to fuck off and it's not an act of war or something. Now if more people could learn to read that there wouldn't be quite as many real beefs developed, I'd wager.

Quote Originally Posted by redregon View Post
    And yea, the team DOES do stuff... But take a look at who and why. Most times they action heavily on things that threaten their status quo and not threatening the order or sanctity of their acceptable behaviour agreement.
    Yeah, glad you brought that up because that's something else I find people agree on. It's not even the idea of an acceptable behavior policy as much as how inconsistently applied and enforced it is. At least, I'm pretty sure I don't usually have that big a problem with rules when they are fair, make sense, are consistent and not influenced by or enforced with prejudice or too arbitrarily. But even if I do I know most don't, provided those basic conditions are met though I might be missing something else too.

Quote Originally Posted by Viciviser View Post
    Kurk2288 might have been abrasive but he's incredibly on the ball about your approach, Redregon. I know I couldn't have sifted through your statements any better.

It seems you, Redregon, know a much more than I do. I'll give you that. I still don't know of any real movements and certainly know nothing of Burned Furs. However, you have been missing our points by pushing what you're going on about and you started crap from the get-go in your responses to Wolf-Bone. He's not an ass, he's just been telling you to step off.

I'm just logically looking at what has been said. You're finding things in Wolf-Bone's words that really aren't there, and yet you are predicting that he is just like "such and such" or is trying to do things he is not.

He's thinking and asking questions and wondering what can be done when "shit's on fire, yo" and possibly try to keep the community from tearing itself apart. Let alone prevent said fires. Preventative measures. Trying to bring people back together. Am I just reading his posts wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah... the hostility isn't what turned me off from FAF long ago it was the blatant stupidity and friendship fellatio. I mean the people ate each other's shit like it was candy. I felt out of my age group and ironically I was getting along with the younger members who just wanted to be furs and figure out who they were and how furry fit in with that.
    Pretty much spot on. If someone reads way more into my posts than what's there as a means of attacking me, intentionally or not, I don't be this counter-psychologist anymore unless there's a much damn better reason to than whatever this is. I used to be guilty of it myself and even when I was right it often didn't change shit. I'll entertain just about any psychological theory a person has about me or just in general but if I get the sense someone is trying to order my step, I start demanding answers. If you want me to obey commands you ought to be willing to at least entertain a few simple questions. Is that not fair? Someone try to strangle themselves in that nice little mental gymnasium I built for them right there if they're that obsessed with the inner workings of my mind. That or change your approach. This guy gets it so frankly you got no excuse with me.

On another note though I agree about the friendship fellatio thing. I run with a pretty solid, stand-up posse now and we definitely are a support group for each other in a way but I think we're probably a step up from the norm in guiding each other rather than coddling and ass-kissing. Maybe the sheer mass of a typical furry forum somehow creates or necessitates a more shallow kind of friendship and attention-seeking process. For me, it's often damn near as painful as courting women. But so are many challenges when undertaken the right way and out of a similarly genuine love of someone or something. And so the payoff is so much greater when you succeed. Why some must continue to deny themselves one of these fruits from one of the true Trees of Knowledge in the garden of eden that is the internet, I will never know.

Someone told me once I'm a rare type who can willingly endure that kind of pain for the reward if it means that much, but that sounds like a bunch of garbage considering what those same other people will put themselves through for nothing.

Weasyl
    redregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    Do you talk to people outside ----- or (*points to the door.*)"[/SIZE]
    Wow, dude. Just, wow... You need to step off because you're letting your anger consume you right now.

You're way too mad to be having a conversation with anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you talk to people outside of the furry fandom?
    Because I would love to meet you in person...
    Also, I know a veiled threat when I see one.

I don't know whether to respond with humour or to contact the moderation team here. I don't know who you are... Not that interested in getting to know you either now given your overly aggressive and hostile attitude (and possible threats.)

Relax, take a deep breath and understand that violence is not cool, bro.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maugryph View Post
    That what I like about FAF, is that they don't put up with the crap thats on the main site.
    I dunno. To me there's a difference between not tolerating bad behaviour and being excessively aggressive in bullying people that display said behaviour.

I'm not a fan of a lot of things that some furries do but that doesn't give me the right to isolate and then bully them mercilessly.

"Openness" and "Tolerance" isn't a virtue. It's one the furry fandom's biggest vices.
    I really shouldn't need to explain why, unless you're disingenuous scum or an oblivious idiot.
    Wait, isn't that kinda what the Burned Furs believed? I mean they had like an entire manifesto and the whole deal if memory serves, you got obviously a much simpler premise there but it seems pretty similar at the core, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288
    If discouraging stalkers, sexual predators, pedophilia, cyber mobs demanding "confessions" and what have you is... "FASCISM!". SIGN ME UP PLEASE.
    I'm probably going to hate myself for asking this, but what are you even referring to and what can I expect to find if I click that link? Thinking you kinda already have your beam switching back and forth on me and him and it's sketching me the fuck out so um, look man, whatever your motives are, you need a sacrificial lamb? Okay, let me just stretch my hands out on this cross here, the other guy can take a break for a min and I'll try to figure you out while you're pounding the nails in, how's that?

Also I'm being fasciscious (deliciously fascist) and metaphoric but I do know a guy into that if you're down (to be the victim at least, he don't switch for nobody).

Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288
    That explains everything. We are not "burnt furs"
    Okay explain this part for me again? I'll try to keep my notepad handy this time.

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    This fandom does suck, but we exist in it in a self-deprecating manner aware of our own loserdom.

But no worries, it's not only the furry fandom, i'm sure anyone who's remotely self aware is also ashamed of being weeaboo or tumblrite.
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war

Quote Originally Posted by WolfNightV4X1 View Post
    This fandom does suck, but we exist in it in a self-deprecating manner aware of our own loserdom.

But no worries, it's not only the furry fandom, i'm sure anyone who's remotely self aware is also ashamed of being weeaboo or tumblrite.
    So the gist is when I work out, get results, get laid, get a new job or quit a bad one, make some kind of milestone towards being a not-loser, at the end of the day I'm still blowing smoke up me arse? I just don't grasp levels of self-loathing and pessimism quite that deep, I guess. I'm as jaded and cynical as I am because I have ideals and goals and the like, and just find living, speaking power to and realizing them a constant, bloody, thankless uphill battle. If I didn't have the idea that I'm not necessarily an inherent, perpetual loser for the rest of time bouncing around somewhere in my head I don't know how I could call myself objective or cope. I don't get how the supposed alternative is much more than age-old apathy with a hipster twist.

Weasyl
    redregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    Wait, isn't that kinda what the Burned Furs believed? I mean they had like an entire manifesto and the whole deal if memory serves, you got obviously a much simpler premise there but it seems pretty similar at the core, you know?

I'm probably going to hate myself for asking this, but what are you even referring to and what can I expect to find if I click that link? Thinking you kinda already have your beam switching back and forth on me and him and it's sketching me the fuck out so um, look man, whatever your motives are, you need a sacrificial lamb? Okay, let me just stretch my hands out on this cross here, the other guy can take a break for a min and I'll try to figure you out while you're pounding the nails in, how's that?

Also I'm being fasciscious (deliciously fascist) and metaphoric but I do know a guy into that if you're down (to be the victim at least, he don't switch for nobody).

Okay explain this part for me again? I'll try to keep my notepad handy this time.
    Burned furs were (iirc) mostly a sort of proto-SJW thing but focusing on making the furry fandom more socially acceptable.

Their mandate was focusing on the family friendly art and ignoring the sexual stuff that was more than just M/F missionary stuff... However, in practice a lot of them used bully tactics to shame and intimidate furries and artists that didn't "toe the line." It wasn't a "In the name of the Burned furs" thing but the players were the same as were the motivations and rhetoric.

So, essentially, SJWs before SJWs were an issue.

KEEP IN MIND. When I say "SJW" I mean the people that abuse activism and the concepts of equality and tolerance to harass and bully people they view to be "problematic." They are not activists as I view them since to me, activism is about building bridges so people can learn to understand... Not about harassing others, inciting cyber-mobs and generally being totalitarian fascists. The acronym itself is the biggest tip off... Social justics warriors. As in, only there for the fight and to bloody their knuckles on people who they feel are the "enemy."

{EDIT}
    You've probably seen a few here and there as well... People that will consider a microaggression (which is a term that isn't intended to be offensive but can come across as being offensive in certain contexts) a valid reason to hunt down someone's dox and share it online with their peers so they can get them fired from their job.

Justine Sacco, the lady that made that dumb-ass "I'm white so I can't get AIDS" tweet is one such visible victim... While what she tweeted was fucking dumb it wasn't something she should have been fired for and turned into a global pariah for the whole world to see.

That dude that shot the reporter and cameraman in Virginia live on air last week is another example as well. His social media was filled with SJW rhetoric and he was fired because he took offense at pretty much everything.

Essentially, they're people that are offended at pretty much anything and if it's not offensive, they'll find a way to make it seem offensive so as to justify lashing out disproportionately. And quite a lot of them are people I would most certainly not feel safe around if I were alone with them.

So, basically people with too much anger in their hearts whom have convinced themselves that lashing out at people is acceptable and tolerable if done in the name of the "Greater good."

And that's only the tip of the ice berg...
    {/EDIT}
    Last edited by redregon; 08-30-2015 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Elaborating on a point and improving the formatting

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    Ah, apologies. I was merely being facetious (an emote like :V would help). Of course doing something you love that makes you happy and passionate doesn't make you a loser.

It's just rather subjective is all I'm saying, people outside of the base seem to look down on things as dumb things, and yeah maybe it is but everything is dumb to someone else.

In the end you just be yourself and laugh at the confrontation, possibly pretend to agree with it, laugh at your own strangeness.