Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: "This fandom sucks."

Wolf_Bone, seems I need to make that statement a bit clearer for you too.

The culture of FAF has always been insulting, degrading and verbally abusive. FAF forum is close to flying apart. So these forum members, who have enjoyed that environment, are looking for new homes. it's evident that some of them want to have this same culture everywhere they go.

FA became a hub for this community because this community made it so. The community is way older than FA. This fandom will survive the fall of FA. More than likely come out better. Because that's what people do. Make things better. Having to rely on one site for everything was never a good idea. Want proof? Look at what's happening now. FA's fall will be better for everyone. FA doesn't have to become a ghost town. They can and probably will continue to exist. But FA will be part of a larger community. In the end the fandom itself will come out on top. Not one site or the other.

Weasyl
    redregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    Sorry, I might've confused you for this random-ass storm trooper trying to talk that shit.
    Okay.

Even on FAF though there have been attempts in the past to promote more intelligent convos, more diverse subjects and ideas, and really just keeping people aware that not everything has to be a war. It usually does make some kind of dent in things but of course something always derails those efforts. Basically my point is, those efforts come from a good place and do seem to make some positive changes sometimes. No one is denying the situation is pretty dark, frustrating, and vexing and maybe it's just me but I'm tired of making excuses for myself, making excuses for the community, and basically just throwing my hands up and jerking off to forget about it because it always comes back. I think some of us are just a different animal, maybe. "Quit" isn't in our vocabulary but our problem is that we sometimes don't include "the shit that doesn't work". So perhaps nothing anyone's tried so far really, perfectly "works" but apathy is literally the absence of any kind of work that has a point, isn't it.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I still don't know why people harp about what a toxic environment FAF was.

It had its moments, but it was mild by comparison with a lot of the shit I saw.
    Not by furry standards, granted. But by internet standards in general, it was mid-grade at best.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by redregon View Post
    The sentence I quoted was the main point. the surrounding sentences were leading up to and elaborating on that main point. The fandom has done X, the fandom has done Y... Notice a trend?
    You say you're smart enough to spot bullshit so I trust you're smart enough to understand my reasoning.
    Do you talk to people outside of the furry fandom?
    Because I would love to meet you in person...

"I like being a presumptuous twat and derailing"

*shrugs* Who knows why Kurk doesn't like me?

You aren't special and this is not about you.
    It's about unpacking what's being said so as to analyze and deconstruct it if needed. It's just how I tick.

I am curious why you've chosen the position of being the victim in this, however... Maybe that's another puzzle to figure out or maybe you're just trying to assert dominance in this conversation by appealing to people's sense of fair-play/empathy/pity so as to isolate me from the herd and encourage (subtly) your peers to attack me because I'm "attacking" you specifically.

*shrugs* Who knows..

You were talking ABOUT him, that thread isn't about him.
    He's not "playing victim" by asking you what your problem is.
    Your first posts and this thread makes it very clear you have an issue,
    you dismissive little shit.

You isolated yourself by over-stepping Mr.Psychoanalyst.
    His "peers" aren't attacking you and there is no "herd".

Secondly, This website is a furry site that also allows non-furry users.
    This isn't for "like minded" folk at all if you're suggesting that people's demeanor isolated from the fandom itself is the quality that gauges who gets to play in this toybox.
    Weasyl is just a furry site that "allows" non-furry users?

it seems to me as if there is a sense of superiority and elitist attitude that is flourishing....
    When you're on a site for people that fap to cartoon animals. Do you not see the dissonance?
    IDK anything about FAF, but this forum ISN'T FAF. Keep your baggage there or GTFO.
    You may come here to jerk your kielbasa, but don't pretend everyone else does too.

Asserting an elitist attitude in a community that prides itself on being open and tolerant because it knows it's a fandom that is never going to be anything but "weird?"
    "Openness" and "Tolerance" isn't a virtue. It's one the furry fandom's biggest vices.
    I really shouldn't need to explain why, unless you're disingenuous scum or an oblivious idiot.

If you want to sit back and smugly think that you're somehow above the people you deign are beneath you and you feel that you have the right to enforce a particular view either overtly or subtly... You've crossed the line into a fascist mentality and I would strongly suggest you find a way out of it.
    If discouraging stalkers, sexual predators, pedophilia, cyber mobs demanding "confessions" and what have you is... "FASCISM!". SIGN ME UP PLEASE.

Mainly because I've been in this fandom long enough to remember the burned furs and how they caused no end of headache and frustration to people in the community. Theirs is a very dangerous mentality and set of behaviours and I'd rather not see a burned furs mark 3 take root.
    That explains everything. We are not "burnt furs",
    We are not persecuting innocent people or harmless activities.
    Remove head from ass and join the discussion,
    and refrain from "analyzing" people on a internet forum.

Least you keep derailing shit, and making threads like this.

"This forum sucks"...
    "if you dislike the forum so much, there's the door (*points to the door.*)"
    Last edited by Kurk2288; 08-29-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Quote + typo

I think the only way to settle this or figure out who is on who's side is a triple threat match, probably a TLC match, maybe with something important suspended above the ring like... I dunno who can we all agree we'd like to fuck?

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I still don't know why people harp about what a toxic environment FAF was.

It had its moments, but it was mild by comparison with a lot of the shit I saw.
    Not by furry standards, granted. But by internet standards in general, it was mid-grade at best.
    To be fair, much of the malice being thrown around on FAF is purely satirical in nature. The people most offended by it are those that can't get the joke.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Viciviser
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    "Openness" and "Tolerance" isn't a virtue. It's one the furry fandom's biggest vices.

If discouraging stalkers, sexual predators, pedophilia, cyber mobs demanding "confessions" and what have you is... "FASCISM!". SIGN ME UP PLEASE.
    Kurk2288 might have been abrasive but he's incredibly on the ball about your approach, Redregon. I know I couldn't have sifted through your statements any better.

It seems you, Redregon, know a much more than I do. I'll give you that. I still don't know of any real movements and certainly know nothing of Burned Furs. However, you have been missing our points by pushing what you're going on about and you started crap from the get-go in your responses to Wolf-Bone. He's not an ass, he's just been telling you to step off.

I'm just logically looking at what has been said. You're finding things in Wolf-Bone's words that really aren't there, and yet you are predicting that he is just like "such and such" or is trying to do things he is not.

He's thinking and asking questions and wondering what can be done when "shit's on fire, yo" and possibly try to keep the community from tearing itself apart. Let alone prevent said fires. Preventative measures. Trying to bring people back together. Am I just reading his posts wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    This is true.

Even the sarcastic environment was still a lot lighter than the shit I'm used to. Hell, even Gaia had a more hostile environment than FAF did.
    Yeah... the hostility isn't what turned me off from FAF long ago it was the blatant stupidity and friendship fellatio. I mean the people ate each other's shit like it was candy. I felt out of my age group and ironically I was getting along with the younger members who just wanted to be furs and figure out who they were and how furry fit in with that.

Weasyl
    redregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    Even on FAF though there have been attempts in the past to promote more intelligent convos, more diverse subjects and ideas, and really just keeping people aware that not everything has to be a war. It usually does make some kind of dent in things but of course something always derails those efforts. Basically my point is, those efforts come from a good place and do seem to make some positive changes sometimes. No one is denying the situation is pretty dark, frustrating, and vexing and maybe it's just me but I'm tired of making excuses for myself, making excuses for the community, and basically just throwing my hands up and jerking off to forget about it because it always comes back. I think some of us are just a different animal, maybe. "Quit" isn't in our vocabulary but our problem is that we sometimes don't include "the shit that doesn't work". So perhaps nothing anyone's tried so far really, perfectly "works" but apathy is literally the absence of any kind of work that has a point, isn't it.
    To be honest, I think the biggest problem with FAF is that, much like FA itself the moderation team do the barest minimum they can get away with (which is mostly nothing) and seem content not doing anything at all.

So, I think it's less an issue of the inherent hostility of the fandom itself or however it's being framed and more because the patients are most likely literally running the asylum over there.

And yea, the team DOES do stuff... But take a look at who and why. Most times they action heavily on things that threaten their status quo and not threatening the order or sanctity of their acceptable behaviour agreement.