Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Myth & Legend of a band/artist

Okay, I was hesitant to share this idea here. I was considering just dropping the shit and seeing how people react but, I'm kinda with some other new/amateur rappers and musicians trying to start a group and we think it's important to get some kind of feedback because truth be told, the concept we have is kind of risky. Now, they love the idea. Only problem is, it's pretty much all my idea. Because of my background and the way we came together as a group it naturally does fall on me to be the "producer" or "hype man" or "unofficial leader" or whatever though typically we don't even play that shit. But the last thing most people where I'm from want to do, especially if they're artists, is think too hard about the "image" even when they know it's actually kind of important.

So the reason I'm posting this here is because this part of the game really is more about writing than music, though I can provide examples of what we're basing our sound off of if needed. Long story short, there were these two pretty popular rap groups you may have heard about in the pre-internet days, N.W.A and Bone Thugs N Harmony. In reality, we have more in common with N.W.A than Bone, but Bone's style appeals more to us and as much as we feel "reality rap" (in contrast to "gangsta rap" which is bullshit), Bone came out of N.W.A's legacy like we feel we're trying to and the style lends itself really well to themes of mysticism, struggle and redemption, loss and grief, hopes for a brighter future, basically just a really musically infused and challenging style of hip-hop that tries to take the building blocks a group like N.W.A leaves behind and turn it into the rap equivalent of The Wall or one of those concept albums.

I guess the first question is, what sounds realer to you? People trying to sound more like what they come from, or showing love to what they came up on? Is it better to take an old, tried and true, classic style and just jazz it up a bit for the modern era or to take something that practically works in spite of itself and try to refine it, reign it in, make a more precise, accessible story out of all the imagery and fiction and as a lot of bands say, "be the band you'd want to listen to"?

The second question is, how obvious should it be that, yes, this is basically a bunch of fans paying tribute to their musical inspirations and trying to pick up where they left off, move the sound in the direction they think it could've gone, etc? It just seems like in hip-hop especially, and this may be changing based on what I hear some rappers say about other/competing artists nowadays, but it's like if you're not claiming to be somebody other than just another guy inspired by what's already been done, you can't be taken as seriously. Like, nobody believes you could create something new and original out of something old unless you're trying not to do that, somehow.

I guess the final question for now is does the fact the artists themselves are often okay with their sound being used as a kind of template/training wheels for noobs count for anything? Oh hey I didn't even tell y'all what the group is called or what our "mythos" is and all that shit, so maybe I might have the element of surprise here yet.

Why is this in the writing forum?
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Why is this in the writing forum?
    Why the fuck are you in a writing forum when you don't read?

You're asking for advice on an idea for a rap group. That's not writing, it's not even about writing songs. You're asking about the concepts of where you want this group to go with its music, what your style should be, and you didn't even tell us what the group was about other than "kinda like NWA but more like Bone". That stuff belongs on multimedia or maybe the entertainment board as at least someone there is probably a rap enthusiast and can give you some idea what you're going for. You don't see me going on the music forum asking for advice on how to characterize a protagonist, and you don't see visual artists here asking about shading techniques.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Wolf-Bone. This isn't FAF. You shouldn't insult people. And yes, this isn't about righting. It's about music. Righting just happens to be part of music.

If this isn't FAF then why does damn near every thread I post get crashed by some of the most pointlessly angry and negative people this side of the fandom who can't even "right" a good criticism. As if you replied for any other reason in the first place. I'm trying to promote pretty much any kind of discussion I can on here. Post some better fucking topics if you don't like mine.

Because you insult people. Simply that. Try saying the same thing without insulting someone. Or explain yourself without lashing out. If your OP is about the writing of songs then posting a response like,

"I want to discuss the actual act of writing lyrics and not the musical aspect."

would be a HELL of a lot kinder than what your second post reads like. It would also help put the thread in the direction of what you would like to talk about.

Weasyl
    Levi
    Not a bad topic, but it's really not a good place for it (as others have already said). Once you decide where writing-wise you'd like the thread to go, I'd be glad to chime in with my thoughts. As it is, I can't tell where this thread wants to go.
    Personal Blog | WagzTail Podcast
    Much thanks to Kalika for the avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cause the Rat View Post
    Because you insult people. Simply that. Try saying the same thing without insulting someone. Or explain yourself without lashing out. If your OP is about the writing of songs then posting a response like,

"I want to discuss the actual act of writing lyrics and not the musical aspect."

would be a HELL of a lot kinder than what your second post reads like. It would also help put the thread in the direction of what you would like to talk about.
    Again, post a better example, maybe. Promote some actual discussion instead of whining. That is what I'm pissed about more than anything specific to any one person.

And your lashing out AGAIN. Look Wolf_Bone. People are going to try to make things lighter. Truth is people like to enjoy each other's company. Even if it's online. If you constantly lash out people are going to slap back. The next time your angry don't post.

Try this,

Make your next post a simple explanation of what you wish to talk about in this thread. Three sentences at the longest. No lashing out. No getting even. No proving yourself.