Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Linux Art Programs

Linux Art Programs

Besides Krita and Mypaint, what other options do I have for an art program that is compatible with a drawing tablet?

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentia View Post
    Besides Krita and Mypaint, what other options do I have for an art program that is compatible with a drawing tablet?
    You can get GIMP to work with a tablet on Linux, as long as you find the right driver for your tablet. I propose as evidence that I was able to get my Wacom to function with pressure sensitivity &c. on RHEL6, so I imagine it's not going to be tough to get it to function on more user-friendly distributions like Ubuntu or Mint.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    You can get GIMP to work with a tablet on Linux, as long as you find the right driver for your tablet. I propose as evidence that I was able to get my Wacom to function with pressure sensitivity &c. on RHEL6, so I imagine it's not going to be tough to get it to function on more user-friendly distributions like Ubuntu or Mint.
    Thank you, I tried it out and got GIMP to work without even needing to install the drivers.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I realize you've got GIMP working, but just thought I'd throw this in too as some extra alternatives.

You can use Wine to get Sai, Mischief & other art programs working (for Ubuntu, unsure if it's for other Linux distributions?) that are Windows exclusive. I've not yet tried it, but once I get an external hard drive I'll be making the switch over to Linux and testing it out. The biggest problem people had however with this route was pen pressure & compatibility (at least with Sai), although after reading more into this a number say these issues in the past have been fixed.

Also, incase any are using a Wacom - there's support!