Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Weasyl
    lilshark
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanwang View Post
    Where I live, the warmer climates make drinking the dark brews a bit more difficult as much as I love them. So, I've seasonalized my choices.

Gun to my head? I love the porters, stouts, and malty beers available to me here. However, there are so many brews to choose from that I can find an IPA, Amber, or Blonde that eases my summer thirst. SO! During the summer months, I really enjoy Hops and Grains Zoe Pale Dog Ale. It's a light, crispy hoppy dry ale that really quenches a summer thirst and isn't as filling as say the regular pils that's available. In autumn, I shift toward the scotch ales. Old Chub is an easy favorite followed by the Texas Brewed Rhar and Son's Iron Thistle. Winter is all PORTERS AND STOUTS BRA, we're talking Real Ale's Russian Imperial Stout - Commissar, 512's Pecan Porter, Real Ale's Coffee Porter and the major brands. Spring, I mix both the dark stuff and move toward the light brews, lagers shift into the mix and Thirsty Planet's Thirsty Goat is an easy favorite. Not the greatest lager but easy, inexpensive go to.
    A local brew house makes an amazing Russian Imperial Stout. Because of their price though I only tend to get them on special occasional. If you EVER find your self in Columbus Ohio, go to North High Brewing. They are a new local brewery and I am absolutely hooked on their Milk Stout. It is smooth, tasty and just incredible.

In cbus I find myself in a very similar situation. While the climate does not prevent folks from brewing amazing dark brews, the locals really like their hop heavy beer. It can be difficult finding porters and stouts just because the local palete really likes IPAs.

Weasyl
    XyWeasel
    I'm not very familiar with craft beers yet, but I've found a really tasty and powerfully hoppy one by a Scottish craft beer outfit called Brewdog, and now I'm interested in finding more. Though I wouldn't turn down a deep malty stout, either.

Weasyl
    lilshark
    Quote Originally Posted by XyWeasel View Post
    I'm not very familiar with craft beers yet, but I've found a really tasty and powerfully hoppy one by a Scottish craft beer outfit called Brewdog, and now I'm interested in finding more. Though I wouldn't turn down a deep malty stout, either.
    Ah Brew Dog! They are looking to build their first stateside brewery here in my home town. I have not had the chance to try their brews yet but I am really looking forward to it since it seems very likely I can try their beers very soon as fresh as you can get them!

Weasyl
    Onnes
    As a sixth year graduate student, I think calling myself a craft beer "fan" might be a bit of an understatement.

There's a a new brewery near me called Sketchbook that describes itself as a "Community Supported Brewery." They started with a kickstarter and still sell memberships which come with some number of growler fills per month plus a 10% discount on ordinary purchases. Their beer is pretty impressive, too. Open less than a year and they've trialed a large number varieties without relying on high hops and/or high abv. As a go-to beer their IPA is probably one of my favorites.

Weasyl
    Calemeyr
    I am one! I need to cut back on it though, can gain weight that way.

Really love the Belgian ales and imperial stouts.

Weasyl
    N/A

Weasyl
    Shanwang
    Quote Originally Posted by lilshark View Post
    A local brew house makes an amazing Russian Imperial Stout. Because of their price though I only tend to get them on special occasional. If you EVER find your self in Columbus Ohio, go to North High Brewing. They are a new local brewery and I am absolutely hooked on their Milk Stout. It is smooth, tasty and just incredible.
    If I ever visit Columbus or if I find North High Brewing (as in somehow, some importer gets them) here in ATX, I'll definitely pick up a six pack or three.

Quote Originally Posted by grassfed View Post
    Wheres all the sour/saison/lambic fans??? I can hardly even drink "regular" beer anymore

I would seriously urge you to seek out some sours/lambics if you havent tried them, its a whole new ballpark!

just stay away from any Lindemans Lambics(except the Cuvee Rene) you might see in a store, they're pasteurized and full of syrups/sweeteners
    The few saisons I've had, I liked, though not as prevalent in the markets I go to around here. Karbach out of Houston had an okay saison but I can't say it's something I'd pick up again. Next time I'm at the liquor megastore I might just pick one up to have...while I yell at my school's football team.
    Drunk post brought to you by Shanwang

Double black IPA tops my list of favorite styles, just because it's cool. Those types of beers have so much depth and personality. It feels like an adventure to just sit there savoring all of the different dimensions to them. The bitterness really enhances how acutely you can sense the more subtle components.

My favorite individual beer is Aviator HogWild IPA. Oh, yeah: I'm kind of macho about my tolerance for the more bitter flavors, just so you know. Anything I recommend will have you yodeling.
    Last edited by Christiaan; 09-26-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Weasyl
    lilshark
    Quote Originally Posted by grassfed View Post
    Wheres all the sour/saison/lambic fans??? I can hardly even drink "regular" beer anymore

I would seriously urge you to seek out some sours/lambics if you havent tried them, its a whole new ballpark!

just stay away from any Lindemans Lambics(except the Cuvee Rene) you might see in a store, they're pasteurized and full of syrups/sweeteners
    Sadly I am just not a fan of those. I really do not like the tartness that many have.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by lilshark View Post
    Sadly I am just not a fan of those. I really do not like the tartness that many have.
    I can't get enough!