Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Can I post base dolls?

Weasyl
    Softfang

Can I post base dolls?

Bases: Free to use templates of bald/naked humans or animals for people to use to practice drawing hair, clothes, eyes, etc. Most of the ones I use come from DeviantArt. I've even made some on an old base account. I mostly doll anime and pony stuff.

Examples:
    anime base
    mlp base

Dolls: Edited bases; people draw hair, eyes, clothes, etc. on the base to create their own image from it.

With that said, I noticed you can link to people's DA's with special codes like you can with other Weasyl users. Crediting them for the bases wouldn't be as hard then, I think.

I just want to know if I'm able to post them, because I've been dealing with some really bad drama on DA that is pushing me to feel extremely uncomfortable and unsafe there and I want to find another better alternative for showing my art. With Weasyl, I hope I'm able to do that.

From what I recall based on past discussions, the only people allowed to post bases are the people that made the originals.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    In my opinion, I'd suggest avoiding dA bases altogether since a very good portion of them are traced from somewhere else(manga, screenshots of anime, etc, which are all copyrighted). I think you will improve your art a lot more in the long run if you make your own bases and lineart to mess around with. If you can post them or not, I'd wait until a mod answers this considering what I just pointed out.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    Softfang
    Quote Originally Posted by GlaringFeline View Post
    In my opinion, I'd suggest avoiding dA bases altogether since a very good portion of them are traced from somewhere else(manga, screenshots of anime, etc, which are all copyrighted). I think you will improve your art a lot more in the long run if you make your own bases and lineart to mess around with. If you can post them or not, I'd wait until a mod answers this considering what I just pointed out.
    I still want a mod's opinion/finalized answer. I personally don't agree with the whole "if it's screenshotted, it's illegal" thing. If it's fine on DA, it should be fine on other art sites too. Hell, I even tried asking Lauren Faust (on her own personal DA) about whether or not it was fine to make bases using screenshots from the show. Never got a reply, and no wonder due to how busy she is. So it's impossible to actually ask for permission from the legit founders/artists of the anime, manga, or cartoons that are traced.

Though, I DO make it a habit and a rather obvious one, to ask for permission before making bases out of other people's works whether it's original or vector traces. Unless they already have a "you can use this" thing on the page.

I understand the whole concept and necessity of copyright, but even so. I dunno, I'm not good with words/debates... I just haven't had a real issue with it on DA, so I had hoped that Weasyl would be okay with it too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    From what I recall based on past discussions, the only people allowed to post bases are the people that made the originals.
    I'm not asking to post/make blank free-to-use bases. I'm asking if it's okay to post base edits (dolls). AKA the pixel works with hair and clothes drawn on the F2U base. XD

Weasyl
    maugryph
    Quote Originally Posted by Softfang View Post
    Bases: Free to use templates of bald/naked humans or animals for people to use to practice drawing hair, clothes, eyes, etc. Most of the ones I use come from DeviantArt. I've even made some on an old base account. I mostly doll anime and pony stuff.

Examples:
    anime base
    mlp base

Dolls: Edited bases; people draw hair, eyes, clothes, etc. on the base to create their own image from it.

With that said, I noticed you can link to people's DA's with special codes like you can with other Weasyl users. Crediting them for the bases wouldn't be as hard then, I think.

I just want to know if I'm able to post them, because I've been dealing with some really bad drama on DA that is pushing me to feel extremely uncomfortable and unsafe there and I want to find another better alternative for showing my art. With Weasyl, I hope I'm able to do that.
    only if you created base images yourself from scratch, Community rules state:

Submissions that have been heavily referenced or contain material that does not belong to the submission's author (e.g free-to-use items such as stock images, or material for which permission has been granted for use) are permitted so long as the original sources are cited. However, stock images by themselves, with little or no original content, are not permitted.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Regarding bases, it needs to follow these guidelines:

Tracing and Plagiarism: You may incorporate the work of others into new works; however, the use of borrowed content must either abide by fair use or you must obtain permission from the copyright holder. The submission will be removed if it meets neither of these requirements. If it does meet these requirements, you must still cite the content’s source in the submission description.
    Whether the work is traced, incorporates others' work, or outright plagiarizes, stealing others' work and either making it a part of your own submission without their permission or claiming it as your own is strictly forbidden. If another person has contributed to the submission in any way, they should receive credit for their participation.
    Both of these statements are in our Community Guidelines.

So yes, you may use bases, however the bases must either be entirely original (not traced or heavily referenced) or have obtained permission to use the artwork that the base is made from. You must also give credit to the base maker and cite the source.

Regarding the rules of other websites: whether deviantART or other art sites allow/disallow certain things isn't any of our business. We are a different site, we have our own rules. That's all there really is to say about that.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Quote Originally Posted by Softfang View Post
    I still want a mod's opinion/finalized answer. I personally don't agree with the whole "if it's screenshotted, it's illegal" thing. If it's fine on DA, it should be fine on other art sites too. Hell, I even tried asking Lauren Faust (on her own personal DA) about whether or not it was fine to make bases using screenshots from the show. Never got a reply, and no wonder due to how busy she is. So it's impossible to actually ask for permission from the legit founders/artists of the anime, manga, or cartoons that are traced.
    EDIT: Mod beat me to it.

As for dA allowing it, they're already in hot water for the journal they made about art theft and some people deactivated because of it. I don't think it's a good idea for other art sites to follow in their footsteps unless they want to be thrown in that same boiling pot.
    Last edited by GlaringFeline; 08-25-2015 at 04:37 PM.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Just for clarity's sake, if I purchased a p2u base from dA I could post the dolls I made from it on here as long as I credit properly? As long as I don't post the blank base itself?

Weasyl
    Softfang
    JUST TO BE CLEAR: I'm asking about posting dolls (edited bases), not the blank bases. So long as I give proper credit to the base makers and such. (I'm not sure people are understanding what I started this thread for to begin with.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    So yes, you may use bases, however the bases must either be entirely original (not traced or heavily referenced) or have obtained permission to use the artwork that the base is made from. You must also give credit to the base maker and cite the source.
    Looks like the answer was already posted...