Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1

Arting process critique?

Last edited by WolfNightV4X1; 08-21-2015 at 02:54 PM.
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war

There are tried and tested methods for improving your technique. No matter the medium or subject matter.

It would be better not to use digital tools exclusively as a way to improve, but rather go back to pencil and paper and begin sketching shapes and people and objects around you. This is not only a beginners exercise but something we all must do throughout our lives as artists.

Your lines are quite shaky, which will improve with confidence. Are you using a stylus?

Your fills are very inconsistent at the moment, with lots of background pixels still showing through or areas where its leaked, I'd imagine you are looking to get the clean toon look?

Studying from life will provide you with more knowledge of weight and poses the fundamental rules which will allow you to have greater control and expression over your anthro artwork.

There are ways to improve your methodology with digital tools, but they would not be beneficial to you as much as basic studies. I will say that when you are doing fills, ensure your selection crosses into your ink lines to avoid gaps. You can do this by modifying the selection and either increasing or decreasing it at a pixel ratio.

Weasyl
    maugryph
    Ctrlpaint.com has 2 entire sections on traditional drawing techniques and foundation concepts because they are important. I would recommend watching them. http://www.ctrlpaint.com/library

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    There are tried and tested methods for improving your technique. No matter the medium or subject matter.

It would be better not to use digital tools exclusively as a way to improve, but rather go back to pencil and paper and begin sketching shapes and people and objects around you. This is not only a beginners exercise but something we all must do throughout our lives as artists.

Your lines are quite shaky, which will improve with confidence. Are you using a stylus?

Your fills are very inconsistent at the moment, with lots of background pixels still showing through or areas where its leaked, I'd imagine you are looking to get the clean toon look?

Studying from life will provide you with more knowledge of weight and poses the fundamental rules which will allow you to have greater control and expression over your anthro artwork.

There are ways to improve your methodology with digital tools, but they would not be beneficial to you as much as basic studies. I will say that when you are doing fills, ensure your selection crosses into your ink lines to avoid gaps. You can do this by modifying the selection and either increasing or decreasing it at a pixel ratio.
    I have sketchbooks and I'm not exclusive on digital, granted, I could benefit from more applied studies my method usually involves just drawing, I may occasionally focus on specifics but that's about it. I just like working on both whenever I can, as doing some digital seems better than none at all

Thanks for the tip on the fills though, that may help. And otherwise I was going for a simple 'cel shade' i guess it's called, though I think the term is more used for 3D graphics, Im probably wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by maugryph View Post
    Ctrlpaint.com has 2 entire sections on traditional drawing techniques and foundation concepts because they are important. I would recommend watching them. http://www.ctrlpaint.com/library
    this is actually a very cool website...Im pretty eager to go through all the videos. Thanks for sharing!
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    I would suggest going a bit slower on the lines part if you want them to look clean and connect with GIMP or any other program's smoothing feature. That way it doesn't look choppy and clean.

Also a neat trick I've learned if you want to use the magic wand tool to color the base: after you select "select inverse" to select the inside of the lines, go to Select>Modify>Expand and do it by 1 pixel. That will keep it from having that little gap of white on the inside of your lineart. I usually fill the entire character with a color and then lock the transparency so I don't have to bother with the stupid flashing dotted lines of the selection/magic wand tool.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    With sketching, I'd suggest sketching different things in different colors(like the body in one color, facial features another, clothes another, etc) If the program you're using doesn't have a stabilizer, I agree with what Antumbra said with slowing down on the lines.

Looking at anatomy diagrams helps out a lot too since you'll know where all the muscles are supposed to go. Study from life like others have said too.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-