Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Weasyl
    Rinzy
    Really, I'm the only Bridman fan here? Aww, shucks. Here are some of the books I've used for classes or bought on my own that I really enjoyed:

Constructive Anatomy
    Book of a Hundred Hands
    Heads Features and Faces

And not by Bridgman:

How to Draw the Human Figure: An Anatomical Approach, y Louise Gordon

That's all I've got for now that haven't been mentioned already, though.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Not at all! You have not even seen a quarter of my collection of books. If you go to my Weasyl account I have a folder that should have a lot of Bridgman studies.

I highly recommend buying the small individual books rather than that big one that compiled some of his books together. It left out quite a bit of info.

His best book is the green Life Drawing one. I highly recommended reading that one before Constructive Anatomy.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 01-11-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Are there any books that help with background painting and approaches?

I see the Color and Light book listed a few times here and mentioned often. Would this help with that? I feel like I'm walking blind every time I try to tackle this and it's extremely frustrating sometimes.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Do you mean painting? Landscapes? Scenes? When you say backgrounds, you're trying to think of it as a separate object which may be the first problem. You need to think of a scene presenting a story. That makes you realize you have to work your elements together.

James Gurney Imaginative Realism
    Mastering Composition
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-28-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Do you mean painting? Landscapes? Scenes? When you say backgrounds, you're trying to think of it as a separate object which may be the first problem. You need to think of a scene presenting a story. That makes you realize you have to work your elements together.

James Gurney Imaginative Realism
    Mastering Composition
    Sorry - yes, painting scenes and landscapes. Wrong terms on my part. It's more getting all that detail in there and how to get it without painting every crack or leaf by hand. I'm getting better at trees (I do know that you don't actually paint each leaf individually and whatnot). And yes, I think you're right - I am probably thinking too much of it as a separate element. I am trying to remedy that right now.

I will look into those books! Thank you!

Weasyl
    Sergsune
    Srgl srgl

Weasyl
    Sassafras
    I like Joseph D'Amelio's Perspective Drawing Handbook. Loomis is good. Mark Kistler's You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less is a good one for the absolute beginner, I think.

I am a new one to here. I hope that I can be friends with all of you. I'd like to share things with all of you and welcome you to share things with me. I'm interested in various things, such as painting, landscapes and so on.