Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Ceowolf

Weasyl
    meris
    Color and Light by James Gurney - beautifully simple introduction to color theory
    Imaginative Realism by James Gurney - focuses on creating models to assist in painting fantasy images, fun and insightful but probably a bit more in-depth than your average hobbyist wants to go for a simple painting
    Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis - classic finally in reprint
    The Weatherly Guide to Drawing Animals by Joe Weatherly - focuses on common zoo animals, teaches rhythm, construction, anatomy and gesture
    Framed Ink by Marcos Mateu-Mestre - wonderful book on composition, however it is very heavy on words more than pictures
    Animals Real and Imagined by Terryl Whitlach - not really a how-to book, but it shows how Whitlach applies her knowledge of real-world anatomy and structure to create believably fantasy animals
    Fantasy Creatures by ImagineFX - collection of tutorials from ImagineFX magazine, not meant to be a step-by-step book , but tips on various aspects of painting
    Fantasy Workshop by ImagineFX - same as above, has a few tutorials that overlap, but largely unique

Not much of a book and it's kind of old, but I've been using this: http://comicrazys.wordpress.com/cate...artoon-course/

You can't really buy it anymore so they threw it up online.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    N/A

Weasyl
    N/A
    Looks like some good books here!

Can anyone recommend me any books about drawing stuff such as dragons, and mechanical stuff, ranging from small objects to machinery?

Very specific, I know.

Weasyl
    meris
    Request to sticky this, to go with the Resources thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to request a sticky, PM an active mod and then they'll discuss it, at least that's what I've been told before on how it all works.

They could simply merge the two threads though, rather than have them sit side-by-side. Perhaps a title change to Resources and Books would be suitable?

I really liked this book, especially for the painting process: http://www.amazon.com/Dracopedia-Gui...d_bxgy_b_img_y William O'connor has great dragon books.

But the best way to draw fantasy creatures is learn both human and animal anatomy, then apply it to things that don't exist.

Weasyl
    Kisumi

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Looks like some good books here!

Can anyone recommend me any books about drawing stuff such as dragons, and mechanical stuff, ranging from small objects to machinery?

Very specific, I know.
    An older book, but chock full of art from the masters of the genre. When it comes to future tech, Syd Mead is The Man. The look of anime tech is due to his influence.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Guide-Fant.../dp/0905895525