Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Animatronic Fans?

Weasyl
    Sidewalk Surfboard

Animatronic Fans?

Is anybody here a fan of animatronics? I'm talking Chuck E. Cheese or the Rock Afire Explosion type animatronics. We're a relativity small community, but I'll give it a shot by asking here.

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    I'm not much into the pizza-parlor style of animatronics, I prefer more realistic ones. However, I do remember seeing the animatronics at Chuck-E-Cheese's when I was a kid, and I thought they were kinda neat back then. I'd like to learn how to do animatronic work myself, someday.

Weasyl
    Sidewalk Surfboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra_Exe View Post
    I'm not much into the pizza-parlor style of animatronics, I prefer more realistic ones. However, I do remember seeing the animatronics at Chuck-E-Cheese's when I was a kid, and I thought they were kinda neat back then. I'd like to learn how to do animatronic work myself, someday.
    Same here. I'm hoping to pursue a career in animatronics/robotics once I'm old enough.

Weasyl
    Joybit
    I'm pretty sure that I have the necessary experience for animatronics, but the most I could easily do is small-scale work. If I can't make room in my apartment for a proper Candycab then I can't fit a FNAF replica, that's for sure.
    Rinpoe the Ringtail Fox and Joybit the Rock Dove
    Live in this profile
    --> 01B6D8CF <--

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    I know little to nothing about electronics, sadly. (I took a robotics class back when I was still in elementary school or so, but that knowledge has been long forgotten. D: )

I'd like to get back into it though, mostly for costume effects. I love costumes and want to make them someday, perhaps even professionally. :0 Drawing, sculpting, sewing... Costuming seems to encompass a lot of my favorite things.

Anyways, I think putting simple electronics in costumes (lights, simple moving parts) would be a cool way for me to start doing electronic/animatronic stuff. I just wish there were more classes pertaining to that sort of thing around here. Either that or I just don't know what to look for. >>;

Weasyl
    Joybit
    Getting started with a Raspberry Pi is a good way to get into the electronics side of things. It's a dirt-cheap credit card-sized computer that is made for DIY tech. Everything about it is well known and documented so finding a lot of "getting started" kind of tutorials are easy to get. I have quite a few around the house, one I'm using to make a simple digital counter, which is practice for bigger future projects (when I can get to those.)
    Live in this profile
    --> 01B6D8CF <--

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    Hm, I've heard of Raspberry Pi before, but don't know much about it. What do you think of Arduino vs. a Raspberry Pi? I was considering getting one for a future costume project since they make some pretty tiny ones (this thing would probably go in a helmet's earpiece, depends where I can fit it).

Weasyl
    Joybit
    For an actual costume an Arduino will be better (smaller, better for energy use), but the Raspberry Pi is more suited for the overall testing aspect (independent computer). Basically, the Arduino will need to be hooked up to a computer to get anything done, but a pi can be hooked up to an HDMI display, have a USB Keyboard plugged in, and then be its own workstation. The Pi is easier to learn on, but that same knowledge can be used for microcontrollers (such as the arduino) to cut the project scale down.

Also, both are pretty cheap, so it's not a bad idea to get one of each XD
    Live in this profile
    --> 01B6D8CF <--

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    arduino and raspberry pi serve a very different niche

Raspberry Pi is a tiny computer. It comes with a full operating system, but a limited amount of I/O pins and can only do digital output. It's much more powerful but draws more energy and isn't so great for timing-sensitive applications because you gotta work around the OS' scheduler
    Arduino is a microcontroller. It has a lot more pins and can be used to generate signals and stuff. It's also lower-level and draws less power. Most anything you wanna do on it you gotta write yourself.

For what you're describing, the arduino is the correct choice.

Oh goodness I love animatronics! Since I was a kid I've always had my eye on robots, animatronic or not. I even have a few robotic pets myself, like my Pleo RB, Loki. I suppose my Furbies count too. But I've always dreamed of maybe purchasing a real animatronic, maybe a scrapped one from Chuck E. Cheese or something. I'd really love to learn about them as well, how to program them, fix them, etc along with other robotics. (Then I could fix Loki's speaker problem.)