Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Also it seems to exclusively cater to visual artists, which DA does about ten times better.
    I agree with the first part, I don't agree that dA does it better. Every art site should respect intellectual property, and dA lost my respect by showing that they won't do that. It's like a fruit that looks good on the outside, and then you bite into it and find out that it's rotten on the inside.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

DA isn't about intellectual property. If people really cared about that they'd be uploading to either personal sites or sites that make a habit of respecting it. DA is for epeen and epeen only and produces that for even mediocre artists in spades.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

If you got trouble expressing yourself or find you have to write too much to make the point, that can be worked on. It's just a matter of finding, say, one expression than can serve the needs of several, just to name one trick. If you think of how a lot of advertising and political prose is more rhetoric than substance, basically you try to take something along those lines and try to put some substance and originality back into it. So using myself for example, I like to say I come from the dark side, death valley, the hollow, because those are vague concepts but they refer to real places. The real shit would take about an essay or 4 to talk about. So you don't always need as much as you might think to work with, just good expressions (copy them down when you find them, look them up, usually you find a lot of other really good word tricks this way in the process) and enough prose to fill in the rest, really.

Alternatively, just selectively leave shit out at your own discretion. Like, if you feel like you're saying something more because you have to or it's expected, it's probably because that's not really you and not really what you're trying to write.

So again, the pitch, the angle, the promo, the vignette, the news bulletin, the slogan, it's all cheap parlor tricks the way most people use them but they are just another tool you can use any way you want at the end of the day and you can overcome a lot of problems with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    If you got trouble expressing yourself or find you have to write too much to make the point, that can be worked on. It's just a matter of finding, say, one expression than can serve the needs of several, just to name one trick. If you think of how a lot of advertising and political prose is more rhetoric than substance, basically you try to take something along those lines and try to put some substance and originality back into it. So using myself for example, I like to say I come from the dark side, death valley, the hollow, because those are vague concepts but they refer to real places. The real shit would take about an essay or 4 to talk about. So you don't always need as much as you might think to work with, just good expressions (copy them down when you find them, look them up, usually you find a lot of other really good word tricks this way in the process) and enough prose to fill in the rest, really.

Alternatively, just selectively leave shit out at your own discretion. Like, if you feel like you're saying something more because you have to or it's expected, it's probably because that's not really you and not really what you're trying to write.

So again, the pitch, the angle, the promo, the vignette, the news bulletin, the slogan, it's all cheap parlor tricks the way most people use them but they are just another tool you can use any way you want at the end of the day and you can overcome a lot of problems with them.
    I agree with this statement.

Then you have that artist who lashes out and blames certain groups due to his/her art not getting any feedback.

Weasyl
    Sidewalk Surfboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Albino Axolotl View Post
    Then you have that artist who lashes out and blames certain groups due to his/her art not getting any feedback.
    This shit is so common on DeviantART, it ain't even funny

Frankly only assholes need approval that bad in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by SidewalkSurfboard View Post
    This shit is so common on DeviantART, it ain't even funny
    The worst you could ever blame is one's taste in art. Some just prefer more simplistic, relatable art.
    Last edited by Albino Axolotl; 08-27-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Weasyl
    Sutekh_the_Steak
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra_Exe View Post
    Weasyl isn't just a furry site though, technically. There are general artists here too. ^^; And there are plenty of people here who don't consider themselves artists, I would think. Doesn't mean they can't be part of the community.
    Yeah exactly, I mean I can't draw for shit but I like posting here.